Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Devialet be for me?
Hi all,
first post on this forum (I'm a long-term member of other UK 'hifi' & A/V forums).
Started a bit of reading through the huge number of threads on here the other day.

I'm after a bit of help and advice on devialet products. i.e. would/could they be suitable for me and if yes which model/s should I consider. With a max budget of £7K

To be honest I know NOTHING about the devialet products. Never heard one in action nor ever seen one in the flesh. I know this is something I will definitely need to do, if I chose to go down this route. With this forum being so large for a single brand its going to take me some hours of reading..

Looking at possibly consolidating my current hifi system (which is used for both 2 channel music and A/V duties, I'd say about 50/50 music & A/V). In a nut shell I'm thinking about possibly getting a one box solution that is both smaller in size and 'lighter'....my amp alone is 50Kg. However which is equal to or 'better' in performance than my current system.

My current 'audio' system comprises of: Wadia 381i (which I use direct to amp) + Audio Analogue power amp http://www.audioanalogue.com/en/maestro-...-amplifier + Wilson Benesch Vector loud speakers.

For A/V audio I feed the Wadia the digital out signals from both a Sky HD box and BD Player. I have only a projector in the living room, thus all A/V audio is performed by my current 2 channel system (had 5.1 some time ago + separate 2 channel music system and gradually scaled down the mass number of speakers and gear in the living room).
I currently don't stream anything, however on the odd occasion will connect up my laptop or phone (via a standalone Wadia dock) to my Wadia 381. Being able to stream isn't currently high on my list.
I am not looking to change the speakers.

Firstly are there many of you guys whom use your Devialet/s for both 2 channel music and A/V. If yes how well do they perform particularly on the A/V side of things.
Secondly which models should I possibly consider? New & Used. I already know that if new the max spec in budget would be the 220pro. Seen a few used/ex-dem 250's around the 220pro price range. After a recent issue I had, I'd like to buy from a 'dealer' who will provide suitable support and warranty.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Welcome daz-b.

Since you mention you'd buy from a dealer - why not start by getting a home demo of the models within your budget. I know you're looking for a lot of technical details for your setup too, but unless you like the sound of a Devialet, does any of it matter? Or is it not possible to demo?

(I speak as someone who has consistently done the exact opposite to my advice BTW, but even more reason to make the suggestion!).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I've got my 220 Pro (previously 200) setup with line-inputs from my HT receiver so that the Devialet serves the front L/R speakers via bypass mode (to control volume from my A/V remote).    Of course, for me the Devialet was all about 2 channel audio and it serves that purpose extremely well.  

Your speakers can also take advantage of Devialet SAM which is a definite plus.

Your Wadia should work well just as a CD transport to the Devialet via the digital AES/EBU XLR output or via SPDIF.   My guess is that the Devialet DAC will sound better (I use to own a Wadia)  but it would be an interesting comparison.   

Given the power you've been running you'll want at least a 220 Pro. Unless you think that you'll ultimately be able to afford a 1000 Pro, I think the 220 Pro provides a more reasonably priced upgrade path (to a 440 Pro). I "think" the only way you can buy a new 250 Pro is to upgrade a used (or demo) 250.  

One other big plus for me was the Devialet phono section since I do still spin vinyl.

I also love the one-box solution and Devialet does it extremely well.   I got rid of a lot of heavy hardware and costly cables and came out far better for it.

But given the quality of your current system, I agree with Hifi-swlon - find a way to compare a Devialet with what you have.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Thanks for the replies fellas!
Greatly appreciated.

Completely agree I would need to demo Devialet prior to any purchase. In addition I would not buy without a home demo (as learnt my lesson in the past with demoing products at a dealer location and then buying and bringing them home only to be disappointed, namely due to completely different room acoustics). Only potential issue is locating dealer whom is willing to do this that is not too far away. I'm in North Notts UK. Had a brief look on Devialet site as to dealer locations. There are quite a few, but non on my door step. Not a big issue, but like to have 'local' support if possible. However like you say comparison is key to my current system.

Initially just toying with the idea as the product has a few pluses already for me with regards to a compact & lightweight one box solution. And in turn first trying to ascertain if the Devialet 'could' fit the bill with regards to my 2 channel hifi/A/V requirements.

I would more than likely sell on my current Wadia and amp if I went down this route. Did some reading on this forum last night and have a pretty good idea now how to connect everything up. Even went on the config tool on the Devialet site to play about with a few things....The 220pro (and probably all the other models), has some very interesting features like the SAM etc etc.
I use my Devialet as part of 5.1/7.1 surround (kind of, I don't actually have or need the .1 bit) system. The Devialet works fine in this set up, and in surround duties works fine with other 'conventional' amplifiers. There is much discussion about latency in the world of the Devialet Phantoms, but the Expert range appears to have no issues. (If there is any latency it is beyond what is perceptible to me)

One other plus point on the Devialet is that the inputs are configurable. In my case allowing me to have a 'surround' input, which can be a conventional input with volume control or configured as pass-through, and so on. To be honest, your proposed set up looks relatively simple, so should not be an issue.

Of course the big question is do you like the Devialet sound? It does look like your location is not the best for a 'local dealer', although if you like 3 hour train journeys I would recommend Oxford Audio, who are only 5 minutes walk from the station in Oxford. Easy!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Cheers.
See like above that your using the Devialet to pass through your A/V 5.1/7.1 signal which guessing is for your F/L & F/R channels. I'd be very interested in knowing if anyone is using it solely for 2/2.1 channel A/V in addition to there music. i.e. how would/could it be configured to accept the best possible signal from BDP and Sky HD.
Obviously still not heard Devialet, but am likening what I'm reading with regards to the whole host of configurable features it has. And its adaptability to future additions I would/could make.
I think I'm getting hooked on getting myself in gear to arrange a visit to a dealer (which one and when yet to be decided).....
I'm also using my Devialet in a surround 4.1 setup. Stereo for me is primary though. The Devialet (in pass-through mode) amplifies the front L/R's and my surround pre/pro (Tag McLaren BP192 5.1) sends 2.1 mixed into 2.0 to the Devialet through a stereo pair of analog inputs. The rear channels are amplified by a Lyngdorf SDA2175 in my system. The Devialet also takes care of the bass management to my subwoofer, just like it does for regular stereo.

The Devialet doesn't do decoding of the different surround formats (like Dolby Digital/AC3, DTS and newer) so you have to feed it either an analog pre-out from a surround pre/pro or AVR or digital LPCM.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Nov-2016, 12:34)daz-b Wrote: Cheers.
See like above that your using the Devialet to pass through your A/V 5.1/7.1 signal which guessing is for your F/L & F/R channels. I'd be very interested in knowing if anyone is using it solely for 2/2.1 channel A/V in addition to there music. i.e. how would/could it be configured to accept the best possible signal from BDP and Sky HD.
Obviously still not heard Devialet, but am likening what I'm reading with regards to the whole host of configurable features it has. And its adaptability to future additions I would/could make.
I think I'm getting hooked on getting myself in gear to arrange a visit to a dealer (which one and when yet to be decided).....

I also have my TV connected to the Devialet via Toslink / optical.  I have two PVR's connected to the TV via HDMI, so if desired I can listen to either of these 2 channel via the Devialet.  My Blu-Ray player is connected to the surround amp via HDMI and to the Devialet via coax S/PDIF.  All a little bit complicated, but I think it does indicate that the Devialet is flexible enough to do more or less what you would want.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks again for the further info!
IF UK based I would go to Oxford Audio and listen to an expert 130 with the Atohms that Devialet have matched to the SAM system. I bought this set up . DO not listen when when straight out of the box, give them at least 70 hours of running when you are at work on a random radio station. I couldn't believe how much difference this made. The range from these smallish speakers is amazing, such depth. Sound is very accurate, every instrument detailed and lyrics clear. For your budget I don't know how to beat it. I have a Rega turntable and the phono stage even in the 130 is very good. The Spark set up works fine from my macbook , but I have added an Aurialic Aeries mini so I can feed off my NAS drive, airplay or bluetooth, radio, tidal etc. Great setup, neat and sound is really special IMHO. I also have a naim system and its great, very lively in your face sound and I love it, but the Devialet makes the Naim sound very old school if that makes sense. Oxford Audio are very helpful.