Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 / 'The lost recordings'
(06-Dec-2016, 15:18)GuillaumeB Wrote: Anyone attending the Lost Recordings event tomorrow in Notting Hill?

Guillaume

I had something else on so I said no.
Interested in what people think.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi guys just on my way home now. 

Great to meet Soniclife on here! The OAC crew were there too and on good form. A few others too... perhaps Alasdair can expand? I'm terrible with names.

Great refreshments and nibbles as I would expect from a French company. Top notch! Victor the new U.K. country manager did a great job of running proceedings. He introduced a number of the videos explaining the artists/material and the creation of the lacquers. Very impressive I would say. 

I will need a little time to reflect on the performance a little but yes it was well worth the trip. YG Sonia speakers curtesy of KJ West and a top of the range Kronos turntable. I believe Dan took a picture of the stylus? Sorry I'm not an expert on vinyl. 

There were a few goosebumps moments. The most striking thing was the crowd applauding at the end of a performance: I thought it was coming from us!!! Wow.

Thank you Devialet! And sorry to Antoine for posting his details on a thread recently.  Blush

Overall a great evening. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Great to hear! Smile Would be very interested about the stylus they used!
The Lost Recordings & Fondamenta Music Labels
Devialet 1000 Pro, Focal Stella, Riffaud Saturn Turntable, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Synergy, Miyajima Zero, Whest Audio Reference V Phono Preamp, Absolue Creations Tim-Reference Cables, 
Devialet 220, Focal Diablo Evo, Absolue Creations Ul-tim cables
Phantom Gold + White tree
Phantom Reactor 900
(08-Dec-2016, 00:14)Phoenix Wrote: Great to hear! Smile Would be very interested about the stylus they used!

Alasdair? Dan?

Here are a couple of pics of the stage.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guillaume - I'm guessing this was your first listen of a 1000 Pro? Although looking the system and the size of the room, this is hardly a normal demonstration of a rig that would probably work well in a reasonably sized domestic room, rather than what looks like a very large space per the pictures. Did it hold it's own?

And how did the Phantom Golds cope!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Dec-2016, 12:08)Confused Wrote: Guillaume - I'm guessing this was your first listen of a 1000 Pro?  Although looking the system and the size of the room, this is hardly a normal demonstration of a rig that would probably work well in a reasonably sized domestic room, rather than what looks like a very large space per the pictures.  Did it hold it's own?

And how did the Phantom Golds cope!

It was a bit difficult to be sure of knowing what was doing what.

I think the intro videos were played through the phantoms and the sneak previews of the Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson recordings were played through the 1000 PRO + YG speakers with a laptop providing the content. It's possible that all of this was done through the Golds, from where I was sitting at the front and to the left it was difficult to be sure.

The lacquer was of course played through the Kronos and 1000 PRO.

What I did notice however that the initial videos sounded a bit too loud and strident with some sharp edges. 

The previews were considerably better.

The lacquer took things to a completely new level. Was this simply a case of 1000 PRO v Gold? I don't know!

There was something about the sound of the lacquer that one couldn't deny. Of course no way of knowing if this was simply a case of Kronos v Laptop! But taken in isolation the lacquer most definitely provided an experience that tugged at one's heartstrings. Two things stuck out: when Sarah Vaughan was talking in between her songs the sound of her voice was utterly mesmerising in terms of providing a 3 dimensional illusion that she was actually there on the stage and you could literally "feel" the room. Then when the audience applauded you no longer knew if it was the Electric Cinema OR the Laren Jazz Festival in 1975. Madness!  Big Grin

Remember I had one of the worst seats in the house (my fault).

Guillaume

UK
I would have thought O'dA owners would have been ushered to the Royal Box? Oh well.... Although it does sound like everything performed pretty decently considering the size of the room there.

Also, did they confirm the price of the lacquers? I have read / been told a variety of numbers now, from £1200 to £4500?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Dec-2016, 12:40)Confused Wrote: I would have thought O'dA owners would have been ushered to the Royal Box?  Oh well....    Although it does sound like everything performed pretty decently considering the size of the room there.

Also, did they confirm the price of the lacquers?  I have read / been told a variety of numbers now, from £1200 to £4500?

I arrived late (train strike yesterday) and upon my arrival had to down a couple of beverages Tongue so was late to my seat.

No conversation re prices. My understanding is that the regular 180g vinyls will be around £120, still a lot of money mind you. 

As you know I don't own any vinyl or means of playing it so for me it was just a fun evening out.

I thought the 1000 PRO + YG + Kronos sound was very very good, particularly considering the size of the room. Some credit needs to go to the YG speakers too. Very impressive I think they might have been the Haileys. I had read a lot about them in the past but never heard them, until last night which was a result!  Smile

Guillaume

UK
It was a fun evening, I'm also terrible with names, but the expert ownership was very high in the room.

I'm certain that the golds were not used, just for show, and that the videos (that they have been releasing on Facebook) were played back through the cinemas normal sound system, which explains the extra volume and harsh sound. I think the previews of the other recordings were also played back through the cinemas system, it handled music without vocals better.

Sound quality of the main event was hard to gauge, this was a very high quality domestic system in a very big room, that's set-up was limited, it did surprisingly well considering, vocals were really good, her voice was really good when singing, the spoken bits were less good to me as she was clearly not as close to the mic, the instruments suffered from something, original recording or the big room who knows, there was a lowish frequency resonance that kicked of from time to time that didn't help.

I'm sure the combination of super expensive TT and lacquer was doing an amazing job, but trying to guess the contribution of the lacquer I find impossible, it clearly had a very very low noise floor, but that could be mainly down to the TT or cart for all I know.

It would be interesting to here a needle drop of a lacquer vs the digital original, but I doubt we will every get that privilege.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(Alasdair here) 

Sorry for any boor-ish behaviour on our part, it was quite nice to let our (thinning/greying) hair down!

The Gold Phantoms did an incredible job of filling the room given the sheer size of the space! I wasn't sure about the positioning of the YG but the performance was quite sublime when the Laquer got going although I was in an even worse listening spot than Guillaume...

I'm quite sure that the cartridge that KJ supplied was a Koetsu Signature. beautiful piece of kit!

Ali