Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Master/Companion link cable or long speaker cables?
Hi all,

I was wondering which of the following cable solutions would provide the best sound quality (for a given amount of money invested in cables):
  1. Two long speaker cables (in my case: 4 meter each) and a short M/C link cable, or
  2. Two very short speaker cables but an 8 meter long M/C link cable

I currently have the first – standard I guess - solution (long speaker cables), but my wife would prefer the latter since a link cable is more “anomymous” – right now one of my Frey cables is crossing a door opening making it very visible!

My current system is:
  • Derivalet 400 (soon to be upgraded to 440 pro), connected with the standard link cable
  • Nordost Frey cable (4 meters each side)
  • Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Any thoughts?

/Vadstrup
(17-Nov-2016, 17:23)Vadstrup Wrote: Hi all,

I was wondering which of the following cable solutions would provide the best sound quality (for a given amount of money invested in cables):
  1. Two long speaker cables (in my case: 4 meter each) and a short M/C link cable, or

I currently have the first – standard I guess - solution (long speaker cables), but my wife would prefer the latter since a link cable is more “anomymous” – right now one of my Frey cables is crossing a door opening making it very visible!

My current system is:
  • Derivalet 400 (soon to be upgraded to 440 pro), connected with the standard link cable
  • Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Any thoughts?

/Vadstrup

Thoughts and I think you don't want to hear:

Sell the Nord Ost cable and:
1. buy costum made Van den Hull 110ohms connection between master and Companion 8 m
2. buy SHIELDED loudspeaker cables from Kemp elektronics. They sell only one type of loudspeaker cable and it is amazing for the money
3. The Devialet must be earthed at a right way (< 0,1 ohms). Living in city environment?: a balanced isolator source builds up the power completly new and takes away all the rubish
4. Use WBT nextgen series plugs the best you can afford

Don't want to get red of the Nord Ost? Try aluminium foly or you can buy shielding at a "soldering shop". So shield the loudspeaker cable AND make the connection as short as possible.

5. Go out to diner with your wife because she will be surpised how cheap everything was.......
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

(17-Nov-2016, 17:23)Vadstrup Wrote: Hi all,

My current system is:
  • Wilson Audio Sasha 2

Any thoughts?

/Vadstrup
As far as SQ goes, I think a long interconnect and short speaker cables is the way to go. DH Labs cables are a good bet. They're cheaper than most others, but, IMHO, will sound just as good.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks for your inputs! I don't have any problem in selling the Frey cables. And I actually have some short (30 cm) Nordost norse 2 jumpers which can be used as the speaker cables - at least as a start.

/Vadstrup
Vadstrup,

I haven't made this test, anyhow SQ is absolutely sensitive to M/C cable. This I know for sure.

Consequently I would say that the best option is a short M/C interconnect.

With the upgrade to 440 Pro, you should get an excellent M/C cable from Devialet (That was the case for my 1000pro upgrade). Keep this one, then you might check your speakercable...
France: Totaldac d1 server / d1000 PRO / klinger favre s30 speakers
I think I'm right in saying that AES/EBU is a balanced connection and is immune to signal loss in long cable runs.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Nov-2016, 02:26)Axel Wrote: I think I'm right in saying that AES/EBU is a balanced connection and is immune to signal loss in long cable runs.

I would not say immune but it's kind of better than RCA connection. 
But at its bottom it's a digital connection and many of us have experienced different sounding AES/EBU-Cables. The difference proofs in the more/less Jitter the cable produces. There would be much more Jitter added on a xx-meter-cable.
I think that Jitter is the first to get reduced because it bother us more than any other 'distortion'.
The added 'Phaseshift of frequencies' that come with longer speaker cables your ears/brain can compensate quiet easier hence I would go with long speaker cables.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin