Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iTunes AirPlay Running at 48kHz with 16/44.1 material
I have posted about this issue twice on 'Computer Audiophile'.  (recently per the links below, plus a while back, again with no solution)

So far, the computer wizards there (who typically appear to know everything and more) have failed to come up with an answer.

See links for details:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...ial-30569/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-so...ode-30605/

I'm sure there must be a simple answer to this one, but so far it would appear not.

OK, some of the smartest folk I know lurk here on Devialet Chat, so here is a challenge, can anyone solve this one?

Oh, and before anyone posts the obvious, yes I know I could just use AIR, or indeed simply use Roon RAAT, but that is not the point or the question, there is a mystery here that needs solving, and I don't like mysteries! Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Confused

has Jesus logged in to your mR yet? This is really a strange problem! I've seen your posts at CA - I am sure you have tried this if it is possible: connect your Windows/iTunes machine directly to the USB port of the Mutec. If you get 48kHz here too, the mR may be 'not guilty'. If this gives 44.1 kHz the mR could be the offender even if Jesus says this is not a possibility. Then the Shairport stream would be 44.1 in (as AirPlay is locked to 16/44.1 according to Apple and indeed Cebolla) and the output from mR 48 kHz. I guess one can only see this being logged in to the mR so this is work for Jesus. It is possible that Wireshark would tell you the stream rate of the input to mR, but I have not tried this so I would not know.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi ogs - Thanks for the ideas.

I have heard nothing from Jesus, plus he does not accept PM's on Computer Audiophile, so I guess it's a case of waiting and seeing if he wants to get in touch with me, which he is more than welcome to if he wants.  As for your suggestion, I had not tried connecting the PC directly to the Mutec.  I was happy enough that via AIR, 16.44.1 material was running 16/44.1 as you would evpect, but you got me thinking, maybe the Mutec is doing something unforeseen? My PC is in the same room as Mutec / Devialet, but about as far away as it could be.  However, I do have a 10m long USB extension cable (not recommended for serious audiophile use!), so I spent a couple of minutes connecting the PC to the Mutec, booted up the PC, it found the Mutec without issue, selected the Mutec in the soundcard GIU, fired up iTunes, and yes, it runs at 16/44.1.  A simple test, it took far less than 10 minutes to get this up and running and sounded OK with a quick listen, although I think the 10m USB cable is probably suboptimal for sound quality, it was also suboptimal for getting in the way of opening the door to the kitchen Angry , so not a practical long term solution.  It proves a point though.  

I also tried hard rebooting the microRendu with the PC off.  This was interesting, the Mutec looses lock as you would expect, but once the mR rebooted I could then pick up AirPlay and the microRendu via my iPhone, the Mutec then flicked back to 48kHz and played music.  All this with the PC turned off.  I'm a little surprised this even worked!  Another thing that surprises me is that nobody else has picked up this issue, my PC and network setup is pretty standard and straight forward, and the PC + microRendu combination is not that rare.  I can only think that I am the only one stupid enough to corrupt a mR with Apple software!  Anyway, I am convinced that this issue is beyond my capabilities to resolve, I shall post these findings on CA and wait and see what Jesus and co can come up with.  I have better things to do today, specifically giving the 1000 Pro a decent thrashing! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Despite what the experts on CA say, I believe Airplay converts everything to 48.

The 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TVs only output 48 via the optical output (The 4th doesn't have an optical output)

This fact is buried on the technical specs here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

I think it is possible the 1st generation Apple TV at 44.1 but I never had one of them.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
(20-Nov-2016, 11:49)canyelles Wrote: Despite what the experts on CA say, I believe Airplay converts everything to 48.

The 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TVs only output 48 via the optical output (The 4th doesn't have an optical output)

This fact is buried on the technical specs here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

I think it is possible the 1st generation Apple TV at 44.1 but I never had one of them.

I also wondered if this was the case, I am aware of the Apple TV issues and in general Apple do not have the best track record with stuff like this.  However, Jesus has confirmed that he gets 44.1kHz using AirPlay and mR Shareport.  I am presuming this is from a Mac, so I think there is something a little more subtle going on here.

There is also the strange issue of the fact that a couple of month back I too got 44.1 via Windows iTunes AirPlay, somehow the issue had magically fixed itself.  It was only recently I tried using again, checked, and found the issue had unfixed itself!
As an update, this issue remains unresolved, although Sonore's Jesus is still investigating. The next bit is a shameless plea! I know there are a few microRendu users on this forum. I would be very grateful if other users could try the 'shareport' mode with 16/44.1 material and check to see if the Devialet indicates 44.1 or 48 KHz. The microRendu shareport mode works with AirPlay on iTunes, the AirPlay mode on an iPad or iPhone, amongst others. This would be useful in the spirit of information gathering for trying to diagnose this one.
Easy enough so I just checked, after selecting Shairport mode in the microRendu I played a song from the Spotify app on my iPad, switched to Airplay and selected the microRendu and the D indicates 44.1kHz.

I'm puzzled as well and have no idea what's going on on your side. Good luck in resolving it!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands