Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Optical dropouts
I opened a case fee week ago with the issue.
Told to press 7 second on each phantom.
The problem almost disappear.
Why almost?
Since i had disconnections every few minutes.
Now once in a few days.
Hi @eladeb, @[h+]³ and all. Here's my take at getting rid of dropouts in a stereo setup, optical or otherwise.

First, you need to establish if you have dropouts on one Phantom only, or on both. It could be hard to tell, especially if you only have them once a day, but it is important. If only one has the issue, then it is clearly a problem of transmitting the signal from one Phantom ("the master") to another (or their synchronization). However, if both have dropouts, the issue is likely with the signal getting from your source to the first Phantom.

Anyway. To improve the communication between the Phantoms, there are the following ways:
1) go to the settings of each Phantom and choose "Wi-Fi" or "PLC" in the preferred network interface, instead of "Auto". Be sure to select the same interface on both Phantoms, because you never know which one is the master (except when you use the optical input, in which case the master is obviously the one with the cable). I strongly recommend the Wi-Fi. PLC is great... when it works. Turn on a lamp, a fridge, or whatever, your line configuration changes - here come the dropouts. Give the forced Wi-Fi configuration a try! I think it should work for most cases, if it did not, read on.

2) A good Wi-Fi is a 5GHz Wi-Fi. It's less crowded, channels overlap less etc... And it is not using the exact same frequencies as Bluetooth! Even if you don't use Bluetooth, you neighbours might. And if you do, then truly, you need to go 5GHz! How do you do that? Well, the best way is to set different network names for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks in the router admin page, or even to disable the 2.4Ghz band altogether. Then, make sure to connect your phone to the 5GHz network, and redo the whole setup.

3) If you are desperate, you can also find a less crowded Wi-Fi channel with any of the Wi-Fi scanning apps and force it on the router.

4) If it still does not work on Wi-Fi, you may try forcing PLC on both Phantoms, but as I said earlier, that would not be my first try.

5) Remember that both Wi-Fi and PLC may be good for throughput, but (occasionally) bad for the latency, which is the reason for the dropouts. If despite all the above, you can not manage to get rid of the dropouts... consider Ethernet. It is the medium least subject to random RF interference.

6) Now, in the case of optical, you can also increase the latency in the settings (make sure to use the Phantom physically connected to the cable, or both Phanotms, just to be sure). It is great for music (the latency does not matter much), but not so for using with a TV, of course, leading to huge lipsync difference. By the way (I should have started with that), make sure the latency is NOT less then the default (190ms, I believe) before trying anything else. Pushing the latency down WILL cause dropouts sooner or later, except on the cleanest Wi-Fi networks or Ethernet.

7) Also in the special case of optical input, it has already been said in this thread, you are better off connecting directly to one of the Phantoms. The signal will have to go through the network only once (from the Phantom which is physically connected to the optical cable to the other one) instead of twice as in case of the optical cable connected to the Dialog (from the Dialog to each of the Phantoms). It has an additional benefit, too: you can choose both latency and the network interface for optical input on the Phantoms, but you can not do so for the Dialog. Yet, as explained above, these settings can help you a lot!

I hope this helps.

Oh, one last thing: if you have dropouts when using Ethernet cable on both Phantoms, it is likely due to the sync issues, and not network issues. You should contact the support team and send them the report from the app!

Well, I am off to listen to some music now Smile
(31-Jan-2020, 09:19)[h+]³ Wrote: I'm on the opposite side. After I upgraded to DOS2 my right speaker experiences dropouts. My left Phantom is connected with an optical and they are both connected via high quality ethernet cables directly into my router which puts them on the same network. I removed the Dialog since it's not needed as stated by Devialet.

This setup has worked without issues (with Dialog) prior to upgrading to DOS2.

Similar to my situation.  I've been running optical input to my right Phantom Gold with both phantoms connected via cat 6 to the network.  Worked very well with DOS1, but unfortunately when I upgraded to DOS2 I've experienced constant drop outs with the optical signal.  I've tried every configuration I can think of, moving to wifi, pcl, ethernet in one and both Phantoms, running with and without the dialouge... nothing has worked yet.  With the upgrade to 2.9.0 the optical signal is detected more easily, but I still experience brief dropouts every 30 seconds to a minute.

Of course I wish I had read these forums prior to updating to DOS2, but unfortunately I jumped in first assuming Devialet knew what they were doing. I've been working with support for two months now without receiving any suggestions on how to rectify.  In a recent email exchange I was told :

"The engineer is working really hard on optical issues. A firmware 2.9.0 has just released to the remote issue. The optical issue would be the main focus now. "

Here's hoping that's true.  To be fair the 2.9.0 update did fix the remote which stopped working after DOS2.  Making the Phantoms Roon ready would also solve my problem and eliminate my need for optical input as I'm using it to connect to my Roon Ready streamer.  I suppose I'll keep waiting and see which fix comes first.
"The engineer is working really hard on optical issues. A firmware 2.9.0 has just released to the remote issue. The optical issue would be the main focus now. "
[/quote]

That's the problem, only one engineer working on DOS2.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi all,
 I also have been leaving with the drop outs and I'm also working with support with no end in sight for this problem for a loooong time...the above statement ("working in Toslink is the next priority") gives me some hope but....one last thing I never tried is to buy a dedicated switch (5 ports or something) to connect the Phantom's and Dialog via Ethernet.... anyone tryed this? Can it work?
If the problem is your network, wiring everything with Ethernet will definitely help. No need for a dedicated switch, I think (unless you host a major torrent server Wink ), the bandwidth required for audio is nothing compared to the Ethernet capacity. Well, actually, Wi-Fi and PLC bandwidth are also over the top, but Ethernet gives you both low latency and high robustness (no interference here). This being said, it looks like there is a specific issue with the optical input in particular, so maybe the network improvements won’t help in your case. Try wiring everything with your existing switch, to start.
(11-Feb-2020, 22:00)quartz78 Wrote: If the problem is your network, wiring everything with Ethernet will definitely help. No need for a dedicated switch, I think (unless you host a major torrent server Wink ), the bandwidth required for audio is nothing compared to the Ethernet capacity. Well, actually, Wi-Fi and PLC bandwidth are also over the top, but Ethernet gives you both low latency and high robustness (no interference here). This being said, it looks like there is a specific issue with the optical input in particular, so maybe the network improvements won’t help in your case. Try wiring everything with your existing switch, to start.
Hi there,
Thank you for the pointers, but already tried all that, including Ethernet with my existing switch, that's why I was trying to understand if anyone already tried the dedicated vers (don't have a spare one)....and still have the drop outs... :-(
(01-Feb-2020, 00:15)streamy Wrote: It‘s a pity! I already stated in another post here in the forum that we should warn people that have a working DOS1 Phantom system to (encourage to not) upgrade to DOS2 as they might experience problems after the upgrade they did not have before. DOS1 and Spark in the end was/is not as bad as it was perceived here in the forum. For me it still works flawlessly.
I'm sorry to hear that DOS 2 does not work for everybody, and you are quite right to warn people about DOS 2 (loosing win 10 support and all).
I can however only say that after more than a year with dropouts, my problem is solved with DOS 2.
People should write Devialet Support and get their problem analyzed before upgrading.
Proceed at your own risk.
Hope it works out for all of you!
Iv managed to work my drop with DOS2 with the support team.
7 seconds of holding the button on every speakers.

Thats is,
For me the problem solved.