Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elac Discovery
I had a demo of the Elac Discovery and given the limited onboard streaming of the Devialets, I was really impressed. It gives you a perfectly good lifetime version of Roon server with integrated tidal and was completely plug and play, plus takes your NAS drive files and then gets all the brilliant roon info and integration.

I am looking for the downsides, but seems like a fantastic feed from a devialet?

I am hoping that Devialet DOS will give something similar, but how likely is that.
There's already multiple topics running discussing the Elac.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I've read three different reviews in U.K. Hi-Fi magazines in the last couple of months. Unfortunately, all of them gave the Elac Discovery a thumbs down, so make sure you audition it in your system before you part with any cash.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Please keep in mind that it not really roon lifetime but a essential version of roon, song limitation is 30k.
(22-Nov-2016, 03:01)Axel Wrote: I've read three different reviews in U.K. Hi-Fi magazines in the last couple of months. Unfortunately, all of them gave the Elac Discovery a thumbs down, so make sure you audition it in your system before you part with any cash.

Am I missing something. Surely if you are using digital out into the expert and bypassing the streamers Dac, all of them will sound the same?

In terms of using the app, I have tried it and it was good. Not sure what bits it is missing, but it has lyrics and the members of bands link into other bands etc.

I assume that the 30k track limit doesn't apply to every streamed track or it would run out. Best thing is it doesn't need a Roon core running on a pc. Which mags had reviews?
(22-Nov-2016, 22:29)Woodman Wrote:
(22-Nov-2016, 03:01)Axel Wrote: I've read three different reviews in U.K. Hi-Fi magazines in the last couple of months. Unfortunately, all of them gave the Elac Discovery a thumbs down, so make sure you audition it in your system before you part with any cash.

Am I missing something. Surely if you are using digital out into the expert and bypassing the streamers Dac, all of them will sound the same?

In terms of using the app, I have tried it and it was good. Not sure what bits it is missing, but it has lyrics and the members of bands link into other bands etc.

I assume that the 30k track limit doesn't apply to every streamed track or it would run out. Best thing is it doesn't need a Roon core running on a pc. Which mags had reviews?
Hi-Fi News say "....  However, the performance is somewhat inconsistent, and verges on the safe rather than the truly involving, suggesting that this novel little player could stand some further evolution in tech and sound". "The Discovery is on safest ground with simple, ultra-clean recordings of the kind able to make almost anything sound good, and if you don't challenge it too hard it will sound smooth and pleasant in a sort of inoffensive way.  At this price, however, that's not quite enough"
 Hi-Fi Choice say "Dislike: Anonymous sound via analogue outputs; price. It may appeal to newcomers but this is an expensive way of doing what it does"
I can't find the third review that I read. It might be in a mag. that I've already passed on (could be Hi-Fi World or Hi-Fi Plus), or online, but it followed the same vein.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but £900 is an awful lot of money to spend on something that may not turn out to be what you're looking for.
 OTOH, if you like it, then why not? Your system, your ears, your money!  Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England