Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable quality
Hi, I switched from wifi to ethernet with a cheap cable. Wondering now if a better cable would lift the SQ? There are believers and non believers in digital cables. I have heard major differences myself in usb. But as there is a buffer using AIR, I wonder if that buffer eliminates the necessity of a quality cable?
Anyone experienced differences? Cheers!!
Well I have much of my house wired with an unknown brand of ethernet cable in the walls, it is CAT5e.

I added some additional runs, including into the room with the Devialet and to my router in another room with CAT6 from Blue Jeans, and added a few short runs of CAT6 from Blue Jeans that runs from the wall panels.

Somewhere in there is a cheap $29 switch too.

So really the extent of my experience was adding the additional Blue Jeans cable. I am happy with the sound quality of the Devialet using AIR3 on a Mac or a Windows 10 system.

Others may have more enlightening experiences and guidance.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Nope, IMO/IME unfortunately buffering doesn't eliminate the need/necessity/advantage of a quality cable. Just like this wasn't the case for asynchronous USB.

When I still used AIR with version 2.x I clearly heard significant differences in my system between a no-name cable, a Audioquest Vodka and AQ Diamond cable. The Diamond is really special, if you can audition it I'd recommend that! Smile

For a while I switched to USB directly from a computer (and sold the Diamond) but several months ago I switched to a microRendu streamer which I connected to my network and system using a set of fiber to copper ethernet converters (FMC's). After reading several months later that also with the microRendu the ethernet cable mattered (first reviews said it didn't) I first bought a Vodka to compare to a no-name but HQ CAT7 cable. Again clear differences so I again upgraded to Diamond. And so even in this case where I employ fiber optic isolation from the network the ethernet cable between the FMC nearest to the audio system and the microRendu mattered. I've described all these changes in more detail in my system topic.

The cable in direct connection with your DAC (Devialet in your case. I'm employing a Mutec MC-3+ USB as a USB to AES3 converter and reclocker between the microRendu as the ethernet streamer) matters the most.

NB. For those passing by and reading this and thinking bits are bits. That's true, but it's not about bits flipping/data transmission errors it's about high frequency noise entering the DAC and it's sensitive analog circuits. There's also theories that the quality of the signal (signal integrity) and thus the level of processing needed in the ethernet PHY affects the analog circuits (signal and ground planes) of a DAC/amp.

Also, yes there's galvanic isolation built in into every ethernet interface but these block DC and low frequencies only, high frequency noise will still bleed through through capacitive coupling and other mechanisms.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I tested the AQ Vodka against a Belkin CAT6 cable on my system and heard no difference, so the Belkin stayed, and the AQ got returned. No substitute for trying it yourself and making up your own mind. There are plenty of shops online and off that will let you buy audiophile ethernet cables for home audition. But make sure you are testing against a well-made CAT6 cable, not a no-name old CAT5.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
I just moved from a cheap cat5 to AQ Vodka... my wife mentioned that she hears a difference... she wants to make me happy I guess....
(29-Nov-2016, 19:10)Xander Wrote: I just moved from a cheap cat5 to AQ Vodka... my wife mentioned that she hears a difference... she wants to make me happy I guess....

Ah you must be newly married Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Haha over 10 years, but and tonight even more
Well i have an old category 5 cable , bought a switch and a short run of an Cat5 to my streamer Lumin T1, then i bought AudioQuest Cinnamon to put in between the switch and Lumin, and to me there was a clear difference. Next trial will be AQ Vodka, but as others say try for yourself.
My experience is similar to Flohmann.

I've compared AQ diamond (which I now own) to a good quality cat6 cable and despite wanting to hear audio confirmation that the Diamond was money well spent, I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two. I've gone back and forwards several times over a period of weeks, haven't tried a blind A/B test, but I'm confident of the result - in my system, no audible difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Qobuz, Audirvana Plus, Mac Mini, Original d'Atelier #56, Wilson Sasha II's, PS Audio P10 Powerplant, Transparent Ref XL MM2 speaker cables, Transparent Ref power cables,  Audioquest Diamond Ethernet
I only tested a cheap cat7 cable from Amazon to a Bluejeans cat6a (which was highly recommended on several sites) and the cat7 sounds better. Wireworld makes now a cat8 one but I doubt I will test that http://www.audiostream.com/content/wirew...37CSCTH.97