Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet cable quality
Thanks all! I guess i have to experiment.
Did I read that with AIR3 there is buffering which would mean there is little effect on a better ethernet cable?
Someone has taken a Vodka apart:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07...ok-inside/

Looks like a well-made cable though the masking tape rather let things down Wink  I would be genuinely interested to see technical measurements to back up Audioquest's claims of superior quality. I don't mean whether it handles digital signals accurately (which, of course it will) but rather how effectively the design minimises impact from other factors that may possibly impact SQ in some systems like RFI and common mode RF currents.  I had a look but couldn't find any information on patents registered by Audioquest on ethernet cable design.

EDIT: Just remembered Archimago's test on ethernet cables in which he found no significant difference in performance across a range of ethernet cables in his system. Though many others have reported significant differences in SQ in their systems.

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/...audio.html

EDIT2: Some people add small RFI chokes to their ethernet cables which they claim improves performance. I have tried this in my system and could hear no difference but there is little RF pollution in my listening room Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(09-Dec-2016, 01:59)roestano Wrote: Thanks all! I guess i have to experiment.
Did I read that with AIR3 there is buffering which would mean there is little effect on a better ethernet cable?

I'd go so far as to say there will be buffering with any Ethernet interface because it is a packet-based protocol with unpredictable arrival times, rather than a continuous stream of incoming data.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(09-Dec-2016, 09:15)PhilP Wrote: Someone has taken a Vodka apart:

Looks like a well-made cable though the masking tape rather let things down Wink  I would be genuinely interested to see technical measurements to back up Audioquest's claims of superior quality. I don't mean whether it handles digital signals accurately (which, of course it will) but rather how effectively the design minimises impact from other factors that may possibly impact SQ in some systems like RFI and common mode RF currents.  I had a look but couldn't find any information on patents registered by Audioquest on ethernet cable design.

EDIT: Just remembered Archimago's test on ethernet cables in which he found no significant difference in performance across a range of ethernet cables in his system. Though many others have reported significant differences in SQ in their systems.

EDIT2: Some people add small RFI chokes to their ethernet cables which they claim improves performance.  I have tried this in my system and could hear no difference but there is little RF pollution in my listening room Wink

I believe Total DAC has covered their whole ethernet cable with RFI chokes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(09-Dec-2016, 10:19)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(09-Dec-2016, 09:15)PhilP Wrote: Someone has taken a Vodka apart:

EDIT2: Some people add small RFI chokes to their ethernet cables which they claim improves performance.  I have tried this in my system and could hear no difference but there is little RF pollution in my listening room Wink

I believe Total DAC has covered their whole ethernet cable with RFI chokes.

Correct and it's quite a sight!

Over the years I have tried many ethernet cables and have settled on the AQ Diamond, in my system it makes a decent amount of difference. The Totaldac is nice but I find the AQ Diamond just a bit more refined.

But let's face it we are not talking huge improvements here and I wouldn't want to subject myself to a DBT. 

Probably things like optical bridges and better power supplies for switches and routers and better isolation of power between hi-fi and network stuff will have a greater effect.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi dear fellows,

Maybe i´m out of context, but as you know i have all to learn from now on. The kind of cables wasn´t my priority, yet.
Can you tell me why i can´t get the ethernet activated on my Devi (always orange...)?
I´m excited to try my listening from my computer but seem difficult... to me.
@BoyScout, that's very off topic here plus it can be considered to be thread hi-jacking. Please open a new thread in the Support Desk section. Also I'd first check the Devialet help site for instructions on how to install and configure AIR.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(09-Dec-2016, 18:35)Antoine Wrote: @BoyScout, that's very off topic here plus it can be considered to be thread hi-jacking. Please open a new thread in the Support Desk section. Also I'd first check the Devialet help site for instructions on how to install and configure AIR.

Sorry,

A bit lost around here, yet.
The problem is already solved, but i know now what to do next time.
Thanks anyway.
I'm now using a week the Vodka and it's the best upgrade I did... I'm finally happy with the PRO. After the upgrade I felt the 'Devialet Sound' was gone. With the Ethernet upgrade, move to Roon, re positioning / connecting all equipment the magic is back in the system with more power and even more detail in the sound.
I have tried the Vodka a couple of days now and I think the difference is more than subtle. But I think the connecting is a bit lose in to the Devialet. Is this normal?
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini