Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading to Phantom Gold?
(01-Dec-2016, 07:04)NEP Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 19:30)ragwo Wrote: Just received a pair of Gold's and the first impression is that the treble is much better than the Silver's. More refined and extended. A more "airy" sound. Not a bad thing.

Hello og gratulerer med Phantom Gold :-) i got a pair my self.

How satisfied are you? Is it true what they say about the bas and treble differenses from the silver?

Takker og bukker Smile
I've received the speakers last afternoon and have listened for only a couple of hours at low volumes, so I only have some initial impressions. The treble is more refined and extended. The sibilants are more pronounced and the hissing noise is greatly reduced. I haven't heard any great differences in the sub bass response yet, the mid bass seems to be a bit better with some more slam. 
On day two I'm satisfied with the upgrade. 
I'll post more impressions during the weekend.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Dec-2016, 09:21)ragwo Wrote:
(01-Dec-2016, 07:04)NEP Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 19:30)ragwo Wrote: Just received a pair of Gold's and the first impression is that the treble is much better than the Silver's. More refined and extended. A more "airy" sound. Not a bad thing.

Hello og gratulerer med Phantom Gold :-) i got a pair my self.

How satisfied are you? Is it true what they say about the bas and treble differenses from the silver?

Takker og bukker Smile
I've received the speakers last afternoon and have listened for only a couple of hours at low volumes, so I only have some initial impressions. The treble is more refined and extended. The sibilants are more pronounced and the hissing noise is greatly reduced. I haven't heard any great differences in the sub bass response yet, the mid bass seems to be a bit better with some more slam. 

How can the treble be more extended? It went beyond human hearing capabilities on the first iterations, if Devialet's claims are to be believed.

Have you grown bat ears? Smile
It sounds more extended, ie the volume is higher, and it's more detailed. Tried to grow bat ears once, I didn't like the look Wink
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(01-Dec-2016, 13:07)Gremlin Wrote:
(01-Dec-2016, 09:21)ragwo Wrote:
(01-Dec-2016, 07:04)NEP Wrote: Hello og gratulerer med Phantom Gold :-) i got a pair my self.

Takker og bukker Smile

How can the treble be more extended? It went beyond human hearing capabilities on the first iterations, if Devialet's claims are to be believed.

Have you grown bat ears? Smile

I believe that there are ways to sense treble 'air' beyond just objective hearing frequencies.  

Gold definitely have better treble - not just extension or quantity but also the transient speed which is important to me.
I did the same upgrade a week or two ago.
Unlike most posts in this thread, I felt it degraded sound-quality to be honest.
No worries though, I reckon they need more hours of use before hitting their max potential.
They have been kept playing 24/7 more or less since the day I got them , and I do think they are starting to come around.
Might just be me getting used to the sound of the golds more than them actually being broke-in properly thoughSmile
Self-justification is strong in us who spends more than a few quid on whatever our hobbies are..
(02-Dec-2016, 14:18)Birnando Wrote: Self-justification is strong in us who spends more than a few quid on whatever our hobbies are..

I agree, and that's why yesterday, when I installed two Golds one year bang on after two Sivers (Christmas demands it) I choosed to first listen to the same track (Beatles' "Because" a cappella remix version from "Love" compilation), just to have a chance to compare two first impressions. I admit it was more a sort of ritual than laboratory test condition but I didn't find another way to try a first comparison. Me and my wife sat at the same place to listen to it, and what happened was not expected at all. We've listened to that song a million times since it was released but for the first time we both had tears in our eyes at the end of the track, looking at each other without a wordcoming out of our mouth ! And we are not the kind to easily shed a tear. Of course, I'll need much more to make me a solid opinion, but that first day with Golds was very exciting. The common point to my first listenings* is enhanced presence, better spatial precision, very distinctive trebbles and slightly distinctive bass improvements, with, as a result, the sensation of an increased body media (vs strictly ears) use in the final perception.

(*) I listen to blues, jazz & rock (classic and alternative) mostly.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(25-Nov-2016, 17:51)michirishi Wrote: I have 2 white Phantoms since march 2015. I am totally in love with them!

Now I am seriously considering upgrading to Phantom Gold. How much I love Phantom, there's always room for improvement, right. I don't need the extra power, that's for sure. It's pure regarding soundquality. More detail, crisp and smooth treble is always nice. But is upgrading and spending my hard-earned money really worth it? Is treble so much better with the titanium tweeters? Am I going to be disappointed or is it a safe bet?

I went to the Devialet store in NYC and heard the Golds and was disappointed.  There was a difference but it wasn't glaringly obvious.  I have a pair of Whites and was seriously considering an upgrade but after my audition I have my doubts now.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Man, I just sold my two Phantom Silver for a danish price for 21.000 kroner. They cost 30.000 kroner for two new Phantom Silver here in Denmark and my new Phantom Gold are coming tomorrow. Hope I made the right choice and I won't be disappointment.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(28-Dec-2016, 18:49)mixart Wrote: Man, I just sold my two Phantom Silver for a danish price for 21.000 kroner. They cost 30.000 kroner for two new Phantom Silver here in Denmark and my new Phantom Gold are coming tomorrow. Hope I made the right choice and I won't be disappointment.

IMHO the chance to be disappointed is inversely proportional to the quality of the support and source you commonly use. Higher is their quality, greater could be the difference heard between Gold and Silver. There will be no difference if you listen to lossy format (mp3) of basic quality recorded music, and using bluetooth. On the contrary listening to an audiophile quality recording on a material media (CD, vinyl)  with optical connection can make big difference, since higher performances are requested only to restitute high quality. Any in-between situation will provide you with in-between satisfaction/disappointment.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(28-Dec-2016, 19:27)Jean-Claude Wrote:
(28-Dec-2016, 18:49)mixart Wrote: Man, I just sold my two Phantom Silver for a danish price for 21.000 kroner. They cost 30.000 kroner for two new Phantom Silver here in Denmark and my new Phantom Gold are coming tomorrow. Hope I made the right choice and I won't be disappointment.

IMHO the chance to be disappointed is inversely proportional to the quality of the support and source you commonly use. Higher is their quality, greater could be the difference heard between Gold and Silver. There will be no difference if you listen to lossy format (mp3) of basic quality recorded music, and using bluetooth. On the contrary listening to an audiophile quality recording on a material media (CD, vinyl)  with optical connection can make big difference, since higher performances are requested only to restitute high quality. Any in-between situation will provide you with in-between satisfaction/disappointment.
And don't forget the genre of music that is being played.  Some genres will benefit more than other genres with respect to the component improvements that come with the Golds.  In my case I listen to a lot of 80's, Pop, and Rock.  When I auditioned the Golds at the NYC store they played Adele's Hello for me via Tidal.  I don't know how they setup their Tital stream, so I'm not sure if it was set to its highest resolution.  Needless to say it sounded really good.  But I wasn't blown away...  Now the space they had the speakers in was awful with respect to sound quality (hard walls, tall ceiling, background noise, etc.), so the Golds were at a disadvantage.  When I heard this same song via Tidal at a high end audio store on a pair of crazy expensive Focal's I was blown away (and the Focals were powered by a wonderful integrated amp and "tuned" for the room).  My expectation was that the Golds would give me the same sensation I had when I heard it on the Focals, and it didn't... hence my concerns...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante