Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
250 Pro
(27-Nov-2016, 22:05)kerkhoffd Wrote: It might take some more weeks time for the new D250 Pro to settle. I hope you will be more satisfied with your Pro series as time goed by.

But as stated by others too, I found the sound of the Pro differ significantly from the expert series. Not all in favour of the Pro series. Depends a lot on your taste, your speakers and acoustics. I considered the Pro less neutral and also less to my taste compared to the expert and chose to go double mono expert with my upgrading money instead of going Pro.

You did the right thing, something I should had done but took a misguided leap of faith and went with the pro.. I can see what some might see in it but it's not to my taste. Thanks for the input.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
First day for me, things were good but a little dicey. Two days later, very happy. As others have stated, the Pro really performs well at low levels too, I don't have a lot of miles on mine since they came back, however no regrets, I am very pleased. More to follow once I get some more time with them...

Usual caveats, my system, my ears, my music tastes, my room.... Dodgy
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(28-Nov-2016, 01:45)woodstock Wrote:
(27-Nov-2016, 22:05)kerkhoffd Wrote: It might take some more weeks time for the new D250 Pro to settle. I hope you will be more satisfied with your Pro series as time goed by.

But as stated by others too, I found the sound of the Pro differ significantly from the expert series. Not all in favour of the Pro series. Depends a lot on your taste, your speakers and acoustics. I considered the Pro less neutral and also less to my taste compared to the expert and chose to go double mono expert with my upgrading money instead of going Pro.

You did the right thing, something I should had done but took a misguided leap of faith and went with the pro.. I can see what some might see in it but it's not to my taste. Thanks for the input.

Well, worst case I don't think you'll have too hard time finding a 250 user that wants to upgrade that you could swap with (or a dealer perhaps) and get back to a sound you like and probably your upgrade money back.

Shame you didn't post in the main pro SQ observations thread, this might have been useful for some who probably won't find it with the subject heading.

Perhaps the SQ thread should be sticky?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(27-Nov-2016, 23:48)no32 Wrote:
(27-Nov-2016, 23:18)Antoine Wrote: I find my 250 Pro to better my previous 250 in every way; to be clear: no exceptions, all aspects.

Is it more powerful ?

It sure feels like it. It's maximum continous power output (2x250W @ 6Ohm) hasn't increased but short term peak power/transient speed has. Discussed it a bit here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...2#pid53162 See also Rufus's post above this post.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I guess that strictly speaking I should not be posting in the '250 Pro' thread because I have never listened to a 250 Pro. However, I do feel that I have something to add, in particular because some of the posts are so far removed from my own experience that I do wonder if other factors are at play here.

In Woodstock's original post he stated that he finds 'the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details'. To me this is curious, because I find the key difference with the Pro is the increased detail and resolution, so the exact opposite. OK, I guess these things can be system dependant, but this is absolutely diametrically opposite to what I have experienced, so it does make me wonder if something else might be wrong here? I simply cannot believe that if all is working as it should in Woodstock's system he would here it sounding as 'recessed with no details.' Maybe there is an issue with this unit?

Then we have Kerkhoffd's comment that the Pro sounds 'less neutral'. This comment I found interesting. I recall from my first audition of the 1000 Pro versus the D800, this was done as a straight back to back A/B test, with the same music, and I recall at the time finding the two amplifiers tonally identical. The difference I did find was with detail, resolution and realism. However, I do have my Pro at home now and have been able to spend much time just listening to whatever I feel like playing. Every now and again I come across a track with which the extra resolution of the Pro can actually be quite startling. It is hard to describe, but sometimes you might get something in the mid range which due to extra detail extraction becomes so much more real that it leaps to your attention. So nothing has changed tonally, but your attention in naturally drawn to something, often in the mids and highs, this I suspect may give the impression of a change in neutrality, where as it is not, it is just the way your attention is drawn. Nothing bad here, in fact it's all good if you are striving towards a transparent system providing a window into the music. Oddly enough, if I had not had the chance to have had that original A/B test I think my view of the Pro at home may have taken longer to rationalise. The Pro does take a bit of getting used to I think, although I have to say I had been enjoying my Pro enormously over the last weekend. It does make me wonder though if the detail extraction capability of the Pro might actually be a shortcoming for some systems / music / ears / preferences. That is, I could see that some might prefer the old Expert because it lacks that last degree of transparency. I can't see that the Pro is less neutral in any way, in fact I am quite sure that if you measured the frequency curves of a Pro and an Expert with decent lab equipment they would be more or less perfect and identical.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(27-Nov-2016, 19:35)woodstock Wrote: Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first. Vocals are no longer clear I find myself straining to hear them. The D250 I could always make out the room they were recording in, there was presence a kind of sparkle to the sound. So am I alone in this and if so what might I be doing wrong?

No, You are not the ONLY one. Just not many persons dare to say it.

IMO Devialet with new upgrades of firmware and hardware is less natural sounding gear.
Really interesting read Confused. I am still wondering about what made me decide I felt the 220 Pro (no 250, but hopefully still relevant) was less neutral myself, and I must admit the added attention to mids was giving it a more warm sound to my ears in my set. I called that less neutral. Someone else may call it more analogue. This may be down to a taste question too, so I stand by my remark that the Pro and Expert is best compared before choosing one or the other.

Who knows. This heard difference may be due to the 220 Pro still settling in my case, and maybe the new Pro could still grow in resolution in the highs to restore balance like you describe, but when ai was comparing them, it didn't seem as balanced in low-mid-highs as the 200 and 400 seemed to be when I heard them A/B. I think I mentioned earlier that I am hoping the 250 Pro of Woodstock will sound better when in use for some more weeks. Some Devialets seem to perform better after a while. I am crossing my thumbs on his behalf this is the case here too.

My quest was different alltogether. I had budget for either upgrading to 220 Pro or spend the money on upgrading my 200 to 400. In that comparison I felt the 220 had the edge compared to the 200 in most music, but I chose to go the 400 route because double mono 400 had benefits that trumped the 220 Pro like I said in another thread. Hope this clarifies some.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(28-Nov-2016, 16:25)moreno1973 Wrote:
(27-Nov-2016, 19:35)woodstock Wrote: Am I the only one that dose not like the upgrade? Compared to the 250 which created magic to my ears, I find the pro recessed and at lower volumes, no details. The old d 250 used to put the musicians in the room with me and the Pro 250 has me standing outside the room with the door closed. for those thinking getting the upgrade I highly suggest you listen to one first. Vocals are no longer clear I find myself straining to hear them. The D250 I could always make out the room they were recording in, there was presence a kind of sparkle to the sound. So am I alone in this and if so what might I be doing wrong?

No, You are not the ONLY one. Just not many persons dare to say it.

IMO Devialet with new upgrades of firmware and hardware is less natural sounding gear.

+1 on the newer firmwares souding less natural!
Haven't heard the Pro though...
But can imagine more detail and transparency is too much for my system/ears as well.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
To me the Pro is more clean, detailed and transparent while at the same time sounding more fluid, refined and musical. In short it's more class A and analog sounding, less digital.

If it sounds too 'soft' or recessed on certain systems then these systems might need some re-tuning. I hope at least the owners themselves know their own system well enough to know if it errs/erred more to the analytical or soft side of the 'neutral' balance.

(Edit; the above is not an exhaustive list; to me more aspects of sound reproduction improved like dynamics and soundstaging. I felt these above are the most relevant in this thread)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Need more opinions, from outside this forum? See this thread on the French Forum-HiFi. Smile http://www.forum-hifi.fr/thread-43-page-41.html

The Netherlands