Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
250 Pro
I haven't heard a PRO yet, so only theories from my side and experience.

The more transparent a system/hifi device gets the more obvious any influences/flaws of the power quality/source/cables/system/room etc. will get. It's easier for influences to interact with a more 'open' system.
I'm looking at a Devialet as an vibrant source of power amplifying everything that has influence on it.
Assuming the PROs are a more precise/finer vibrant source of power (rough) influences come more to your attention maybe even build resonance and the Devialet gets mad on it. Depends on the rate/level of influences.

Analogy: Throw a stone into a mirror surfaced lake and you'll see every ripple - throw it into a rumbled sea and you won't even notice the drop (the stone being the bad influence on your amp Wink )

For me it's all about that.
If someone experiences grief with his D he should rather ask for help from someone (dealer/forum) who knows about this stuff or he has to do his time/money extensive homework on this. If he wants to solve the issues with his D it is of no help to go the 'non believer path ' with certain effects. Don't hold back to try some suggestions even if it seems hard to believe that they could solve your problem.
It is my opinion that the D (Expert or PRO) can not be the culprit here, because there are so many experiencing a bliss of a performance from their Experts/PROs. If it doesn't perform to this aspect the D is rather broken (4tLotM) or there are circumstances in the audio system/room that are responsible for the bad performance.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
A curious thing I've notice was with my old 250 was when I was watching a show on TV I would have to turn on the ICM in order to hear the dialogue. With the pro version i'ts crystal clear without it on. I should try turning ICM on when listening to music and see what happens. I have faith in Devialet gear but its frustrating in finding a solusion to this. I know there something not quite right but how do you go about getting a response from them to take action? The problem with the dealers, most of them are tone deaf.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
(28-Nov-2016, 09:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Nov-2016, 01:45)woodstock Wrote:
(27-Nov-2016, 22:05)kerkhoffd Wrote: It might take some more weeks time for the new D250 Pro to settle. I hope you will be more satisfied with your Pro series as time goed by.

But as stated by others too, I found the sound of the Pro differ significantly from the expert series. Not all in favour of the Pro series. Depends a lot on your taste, your speakers and acoustics. I considered the Pro less neutral and also less to my taste compared to the expert and chose to go double mono expert with my upgrading money instead of going Pro.

You did the right thing, something I should had done but took a misguided leap of faith and went with the pro.. I can see what some might see in it but it's not to my taste. Thanks for the input.

Well, worst case I don't think you'll have too hard time finding a 250 user that wants to upgrade that you could swap with (or a dealer perhaps) and get  back to a sound you like and probably your upgrade money back.  

Shame you didn't post in the main pro SQ observations thread, this might have been useful for some who probably won't find it with the subject heading.

Perhaps the SQ thread should be sticky?

I'm new to all of this social networking stuff.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
So I've just turned on the system. There was an error code indicating a voltage spike, second one in two days. Never had them before. Maybe the Pro line are more sensitive to fluctuations in voltage?
 I've done nothing different today but it's a different beast today and I mean that in a good way. How could this be. I've had the amp since the 15th. and right up to last night it sounded like shit. Not complaining but how dose this happen over night. Burnins in the pass ussually happen in slow increments of sound quality. I'll keep you all informed as to the improvements.
(28-Nov-2016, 20:08)woodstock Wrote: So I've just turned on the system. There was an error code indicating a voltage spike, second one in two days. Never had them before. Maybe the Pro line are more sensitive to fluctuations in voltage?
 I've done nothing different today but it's a different beast today and I mean that in a good way. How could this be. I've had the amp since the 15th. and right up to last night it sounded like shit. Not complaining but how dose this happen over night. Burnins in the pass ussually happen in slow increments of sound quality. I'll keep you all informed as to the improvements.

I have experienced nearly the same. Yesterday i had a 6 hours session with my 250 pro. It changed between vinyl, ripped vinyl and ripped cd. I heard old stuff from the 70's and 80's like Dire Straits, Allman Br., Genesis or Doors and i was surprised how good it sound. I don't think my Premier sounded like this. I tried again Eva Cassidy and Joni Mitchell and i was still satisfied. A  loss of emotion but a gain in details and resolution. I can live with that. ( Unfortunately the a-amp still get's very hot, 70 degrees with sam on, -15db - -10db.)
Devialet 250 pro ci, Linn Akurate G-Hub Nr.15 with clock upgrade, Linn G-Sneaky No.6, Pro-ject Perspektive Anniversary, Harbeth SHL5Plus, Synology DS218+, two subwoofer Canton 50k, Audioquest cable, Kimber Cable 12tc.

Germany.
(28-Nov-2016, 21:00)4tLotM Wrote:
(28-Nov-2016, 20:08)woodstock Wrote: So I've just turned on the system. There was an error code indicating a voltage spike, second one in two days. Never had them before. Maybe the Pro line are more sensitive to fluctuations in voltage?

I have experienced nearly the same. Yesterday i had a 6 hours session with my 250 pro. It changed between vinyl, ripped vinyl and ripped cd. I heard old stuff from the 70's and 80's like Dire Straits, Allman Br., Genesis or Doors and i was surprised how good it sound. I don't think my Premier sounded like this. I tried again Eva Cassidy and Joni Mitchell and i was still satisfied. A  loss of emotion but a gain in details and resolution. I can live with that. ( Unfortunately the a-amp still get's very hot, 70 degrees with sam on, -15db - -10db.)
Just finish giving a demo to a buddy who knows my system. His words. "It seems to be missing some immediacy with a haze around the performers. A warm sound. I hear what resembles a tube sound  quality. I miss what it would do for cymbals."
 That pretty much sums it up. But it has definitely improved since yesterday, but I think in the end I like front row seats compared to sitting 25 rows back. It would be nice if that sound could be achieved thru a download.

What error code did you get? I ask because mine returned an "A 4098 Over Voltage" code and I don't know why.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(29-Nov-2016, 00:51)Axel Wrote:

What error code did you get? I ask because mine returned an "A 4098 Over Voltage" code and I don't know why.

Same code. I've asked Eva to ask the engineers about it. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.
(28-Nov-2016, 18:06)yabaVR Wrote: I haven't heard a PRO yet, so only theories from my side and experience.

The more transparent a system/hifi device gets the more obvious any influences/flaws of the power quality/source/cables/system/room etc. will get. It's easier for influences to interact with a more 'open' system.
I'm looking at a Devialet as an vibrant source of power amplifying everything that has influence on it.
Assuming the PROs are a more precise/finer vibrant source of power (rough) influences come more to your attention maybe even build resonance and the Devialet gets mad on it. Depends on the rate/level of influences.

Analogy: Throw a stone into a mirror surfaced lake and you'll see every ripple - throw it into a rumbled sea and you won't even notice the drop (the stone being the bad influence on your amp Wink )

For me it's all about that.
If someone experiences grief with his D he should rather ask for help from someone (dealer/forum) who knows about this stuff or he has to do his time/money extensive homework on this. If he wants to solve the issues with his D it is of no help to go the 'non believer path ' with certain effects. Don't hold back to try some suggestions even if it seems hard to believe that they could solve your problem.
It is my opinion that the D (Expert or PRO) can not be the culprit here, because there are so many experiencing a bliss of a performance from their Experts/PROs. If it doesn't perform to this aspect the D is rather broken (4tLotM) or there are circumstances in the audio system/room that are responsible for the bad performance.

gui
Just to let you know I am a believer, why else would I fork out the $. I'm probably just being Impatient. I am looking to the community of Pro users to find a solution, suggestions that would help me pinpoint the culprit that's causing me grief "me". Most likely as it burns in I'll get it, but it wont be the seat I'm accustom to sitting in. Not to say I that I wont like the new seating arrangement, likely I'll love it just as much if not more. Give it a bit more time.
I am a little puzzled by some of this. To take Woodstock's original post 'Vocals are no longer clear I find myself straining to hear them', then later when referring to using the Devialet to listen to TV 'A curious thing I've notice was with my old 250 was when I was watching a show on TV I would have to turn on the ICM in order to hear the dialogue. With the pro version i'ts crystal clear without it on.'

Is all this still the case? So with music the vocals are not clear, but via TV crystal clear. Is it a case that the sound has changed, maybe a difference between source, some other variable? If we can rationalise this one we might be able to work out the problem here.

As for 4tLotM's issues, there are some old threads on this forum covering Devialet temperatures in some detail. (see link below) The advice from Devialet has been that anything up to 65 deg C is normal. By extension to this, anything above 65 deg C is abnormal. Furthermore, I do not think anyone else has ever posted about temperatures in the 70C+ range. To me this is clearly not normal and needs to be checked out either by a dealer or Devialet. If nothing else, high temperatures can influence the design life of electronics, certainly I would not be happy about this, in fact I would want to know why this was happening and with the issue resolved I would want a replacement amp.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...emperature

See also post #6 per the link below: (67 deg C limit)

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...emperature
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12