Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
250 Pro
Well said Woostock.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(14-Dec-2016, 11:49)yabaVR Wrote:
(14-Dec-2016, 02:44)woodstock Wrote:
(14-Dec-2016, 01:21)johnsap Wrote: Thank you for sharing your story !

Can you please describe if possible the difference in sound?
I know it must be pretty hard..
But maybe some tracks you like more on Expert and your perception?

I am asking as I own D250.

Thank you !

Literacy is not a skill I'm well versed at. I'll give it a shot. First of all replace the power cord the Pro comes with temporarily. It almost like all those molicules need to get reacquainted with the new Devialet. This one small detail has convince myself to give it more time. The old D250 thru my set up was as if you where physically in the recording studio with the musicians where you literally felt the vocal cords.... forget it, i'm no good at this. I'm just a plumber! I sensed more body in voices and instruments and this might be due to the 5th row presentation of the D250 compared to sitting in the 15th row. This depth of sound stage is more pronounced in the Pro version. I'm listening to "Concert a Deux Violes Esgales by Sieur De Sainte Colombe" and the best way I can explain the difference is this; I'm playing the instrument with the D250 as to listening to someone else playing the instrument with the 250 Pro. Both are relevant and both have a place in my listening enjoyment. I like both presentations and ever since I've changed power cords as of yesterday my discomfort with the 250 Pro is diminishing. Makes me wonder what a good power source could do to the set up. I think you can rightfully assume that I'm liking more what I am hearing as each day goes by. Both units suffer from a slight ringing in the upper frequency's, this just might be caused by other factors such as a small 12 by 17 foot cinder block room with bookcases along side walls with Tankas on end wall. Almost near field listening. This is what happens when you leave town for 5 years. I also prefer horns on the 250 Pro. The pro sounds more relaxed compared to the D250, making the Pro perfect for acoustic and  chamber ensembles and the D250 great for blues and rock.

Hey woodstock,

your signature says  'Jrivers for media streaming / Dell 8900 special edition with 250GB SSD, 2TB hard drive with 24GB memory'

Is the Dell dedicated to Audio only or do you use it for something else?
If you can make it an Audio only PC it might bring you back to the 5th row experience. I would suggest to build it up with Windows 10/Audiophile Optimizer/jPlay/Process Lasso (your motto 'less is more') and eventually to try an alternative player for jRiver. I've experienced that going this way it took me a way nearer to the original of the musical presentation. As the 250Pro is more transparent in his performance it is also more transparent to influences like jitter and others (as with the power cable). Jitter might blur the musical presentation and moves one away from the actual musical scene.
Just my 2c

gui

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to get around to doing it but I'm a bit of a procrastinator. At this time I am using the computer for other things, but it was my intensions to use it for audio only. The thing is I gave my old computer to my wife and she's Italian, so it has to wait.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
Woodstock - As an alternative to the above suggestion, you could try one of these:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english...m/sms-200/

http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

I have the microRendu and I can confirm that it works brilliantly with JRiver. Athough form early reports, the SMS-200 is both lower cost and a little bit better for sound quality.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Dec-2016, 10:48)Gremlin Wrote: I read the specs.

(15-Dec-2016, 14:17)Confused Wrote: Woodstock - As an alternative to the above suggestion, you could try one of these:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english...m/sms-200/

http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

I have the microRendu and I can confirm that it works brilliantly with JRiver.  Athough form early reports, the SMS-200 is both lower cost and a little bit better for sound quality.

Its not as slim and cool looking though, is it Big Grin
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
After being some what deflated with the match up of the Gallo Ref. 3.1s and the 250 Pro., I made a decision to look for a new transducer in the range of $2500 to $4500 on the used market. Fait would have it that some Hyperion 968 came up for grabs. I've bought them sight unseen. Don't ask how I make these decisions, gut feeling? Who knows. A good audio bud just shook his head thinking I was crazy. Just to be clear hear I am certified. They arrived in perfect condition, all the way from Toronto to Vancouver. It turns out that they made a positive impression with a lot of reviewers, time would tell. They look like a cheap imitation of a watt puppy but they sure don't sound like a cheap imitation. The 250 Pro is a definite match for the Hyperions but it tock a bit of tweaking to get synergy. Basically I ran a loom of Nordest Red Dawn to the midrange terminals then using silver jumpers to the bass terminals and using cotton batting stuffed into the rear firing port. I configured the Devialet from 30Hz to 20 KHz and set the power output to 200w. Toed them in so the tweeter crossed just in front. The sound? Left me speechless. Voluptuous, full body, lightning transients, details and depth that are not anemic. Celestial. The same two audio buds that had conferred my impressions of the Pro 250 with the gallos as being a bad match, agreed that this was the real deal. Jack who has lived with Avantgarde Duos for the past 6 years said after hearing this set up he would seriously consider them as a contender if he were to go for a box speaker. The real question here should be; could I live with this set up and be content with the Pro 250? You bet I could
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
So good to read you found happiness with the Pro eventually.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
why do you cut off the bass below 30hz ? I have no good experience with that. This will reduce the bass above 30hz as well resulting in a thin sound. This will also process the whole audio signal and impact SQ in a negative way.
As this is a 250 Pro conversation, I'll pop a question in here. My 250 Pro is working rather nicely, having had its use for a couple of months now. I converted from Spotify to Tidal by using Soundiiz on my playlists. My Tidal is on a MacBook Air and is transmitted to the 250 wirelessly. Yesterday I invested in Audirvana as a means by which to pull together all the music on my network. there are a couple of factors that are outstanding in using this combination. Let me just say in advance that what I am hearing is superb

1) Devialet are supposed to be bringing out their new board some time this year, the functionality of which I am quite uncertain.

2) Audirvana are supposed to be bringing out their Version 3.0 any day now which will allegedly unfold MQA recordings from Tidal.

The music output via Tidal to Devialet Air seems to be limited by the settings to FLAC at the moment and is reflected in my playlists all being 16 bit / 44khz. DAC setting on playback is 24 bit / 44 kHz. Am I being constrained by Tidal and or Devialet?
(30-Jan-2017, 09:49)Vivialet Wrote: why do you cut off the bass below 30hz ? I have no good experience with that. This will reduce the bass above 30hz as well resulting in a thin sound. This will also process the whole audio signal and impact SQ in a negative way.

I live in a concrete shoe box.
That's no excuse :>)
You will get better results if you use a room correction system. I'm using foobar with the Room EQ plugin from Mathaudio. And I have a Giya G2 playing in a 20m² room. And additionally I have a B&W DB1...crazy but works perfectly.