Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3R USB by Ideon Audio
Two days ago came to my hands a new USB reclocker/regenerator/redrive from Ideon Audio.

Similar to in dimensions with Uptone Regen, it has a USB input and a USB output and it comes with its own power supply.

I pluged it to the system and WOW! The differences are evident from the first minute. Main characteristics are better sepearion between various instruments and wider soundstage.

After he 50 hours burn in period, bass became cleaner with more detail even at low (during night time) volumes. The harshness on the upper edge of the brass instruments is gone. Vocals are now more focused. Music flow is smoother.

I tested it against three Uptone Regen reds, daisy chained, and an iPurifier2 and 3R outperformed all four of them.

Just Love it!

Here is the site:

http://www.ideonaudio.com/3r-usb.html
(28-Nov-2016, 21:29)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: Two days ago came to my hands a new USB reclocker/regenerator/redrive from Ideon Audio.

Similar to in dimensions with Uptone Regen, it has a USB input and a USB output and it comes with its own power supply.

I pluged it to the system and WOW! The differences are evident from the first minute. Main characteristics are better sepearion between various instruments and wider soundstage.

After he 50 hours burn in period, bass became cleaner with more detail even at low (during night time) volumes. The harshness on the upper edge of the brass instruments is gone. Vocals are now more focused. Music flow is smoother.

I tested it against three Uptone Regen reds, daisy chained, and an iPurifier2 and 3R outperformed all four of them.

Just Love it!

Here is the site:

Can't see any pricing on that site. Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it, please?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
189 Euro plus a 15 Euro flat fee to Australia. I just put an order in Smile

Here's the e-shop

http://ideonaudio.com/store/index.php?ro...duct_id=52
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(29-Nov-2016, 01:02)Axel Wrote:
(28-Nov-2016, 21:29)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: Two days ago came to my hands a new USB reclocker/regenerator/redrive from Ideon Audio.

Just Love it!

Here is the site:

Can't see any pricing on that site. Do you mind telling us how much you paid for it, please?

Thank you Pim van Vliet!

(29-Nov-2016, 08:03)Pim van Vliet Wrote: 189 Euro plus a 15 Euro flat fee to Australia. I just put an order in Smile

Here's the e-shop

My setup, for those whop would like a better insight regarding the comparison, is:

D200, PMC twenty 26 speakers, MusicalWire Bel Canto series (all cables), Gigawatt PC2 EVO power conditioner, HP i3 with 4GB RAM and MUSIChi software player.
(29-Nov-2016, 08:03)Pim van Vliet Wrote: 189 Euro plus a 15 Euro flat fee to Australia. I just put an order in Smile

Here's the e-shop

Once received, please write your feedback please. I am interested to see if you have the same results, especially if you run D250/D400/D800 . Thank you!
I will let you know my findings.

I have to say in advance I'm quite sceptical about this. I can understand that there might be an issue with the original signal coming through a USB cable but what I can't get my head around is why a company like Devialet would not be able to do themselves with that signal what a regenerating device does.
Think about it this way. Say there's a huge issue with jitter over USB. Devialet wants to get the best out of their amp but instead of tackling the jitter issue on their USB port with something similar to the 3R USB device built into the amp, they opt to improve their amplification and power supplies. And this is not just Devialet. It's DAC designers almost across the board.

So I'm going in eyes (and ears) open and will see (hear) what happens.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(30-Nov-2016, 02:46)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I will let you know my findings.

I have to say in advance I'm quite sceptical about this. I can understand that there might be an issue with the original signal coming through a USB cable but what I can't get my head around is why a company like Devialet would not be able to do themselves with that signal what a regenerating device does.  
Think about it this way. Say there's a huge issue with jitter over USB. Devialet wants to get the best out of their amp but instead of tackling the jitter issue on their USB port with something similar to the 3R USB device built into the amp, they opt to improve their amplification and power supplies. And this is not just Devialet. It's DAC designers almost across the board.

So I'm going in eyes (and ears) open and will see (hear) what happens.

I see what you mean. I believe that it is probably due to limitations in cost and final product price, because the end product will have iincreased cost, which can be significant. Furthermore, it may not be cost effective for them to devote human resources and money to R&D this kind of devices.

We will just have to wait and see if they will come round. Already Bryston made a cloned version of raspberry pi....
The USB interface and its circuitry is part of the daughterboard Devialet calls 'DUET' (the U is for USB). It hasn't changed since the introduction of the 110/170/240/etc. Today the same card is still fitted into the Pro's.

If they'll change anything they'll do it with the introduction of the new 2017 OS card. I'm curious if they will change much, I just don't think there's enough space on the tiny board to do a proper job which for me should include the nowadays essential galvanic isolation.

Regarding this 3R device, evolutionary seen it's outdated. Functionally it's similar to the Regen and many others that followed (iFi, Schitt, Wyred4Sound, ...) These type of devices are superseded by devices that employ proper and full galvanic isolation like the Intona and Singxer devices. Uptone Audio themselves are currently also working on an improved Regen "2" which holds that functionality (and who knows what else) as well.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(30-Nov-2016, 08:18)Antoine Wrote: The USB interface and its circuitry is part of the daughterboard Devialet calls 'DUET' (the U is for USB). It hasn't changed since the introduction of the 110/170/240/etc. Today the same card is still fitted into the Pro's.

If they'll change anything they'll do it with the introduction of the new 2017 OS card. I'm curious if they will change much, I just don't think there's enough space on the tiny board to do a proper job which for me should include the nowadays essential galvanic isolation.

Regarding this 3R device, evolutionary seen it's outdated. Functionally it's similar to the Regen and many others that followed (iFi, Schitt, Wyred4Sound, ...) These type of devices are superseded by devices that employ proper and full galvanic isolation like the Intona and Singxer devices. Uptone Audio themselves are currently also working on an improved Regen "2" which holds that functionality (and who knows what else) as well.

For sale: 3R USB by Ideon Audio. Never been used. I don't even have it yet....... Huh
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I just hoped the streamer board will work and I won't need to deal with USB. USB has now So many enhancers to it, making it clumsy.