Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advantage of Airplay?
Now that the Golds are supposedly getting Apple Airplay capability in a future update, can someone explain the advantage this offers?  Does it allow adding EQ to the stream? Is it only for Apple users or can PC people use it also?  

Thanks in advance for any insight.
AirPlay uses wifi, so potentially more stable, better range and bandwidth. Mac and iOS only, but some 3rd party apps may exist (e.g. Airfoil), but don't know about quality of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure about EQ but Apple AirPlay is only for Apple products AFAIK. It's wifi based so it's automatically detected once the device is on the same wifi network. One advantage is there is no manual Bluetooth hunting to get connected. It's just present at all times to be selected. Another advantage is there is no need to use Spark. So I guess the feature would only benefit Apple users.
(30-Nov-2016, 07:36)kameraguy Wrote: Not sure about EQ but Apple AirPlay is only for Apple products AFAIK. It's wifi based so it's automatically detected once the device is on the same wifi network. One advantage is there is no manual Bluetooth hunting to get connected. It's just present at all times to be selected. Another advantage is there is no need to use Spark. So I guess the feature would only benefit Apple users.

There is one potential additional advantage: If correctly implemented, Airplay sends back latency information so that the computer delays the video to keep audio and video in sync.

At least it was the case between my iPad, iPhone and Macs when I was using it.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
How can I use airplay when watching video? Is it something that only new macs can do? I have 2010 Mac Mini. What should be at the receiving end? Airplay to Apple TV for video and Airplay to Phantoms for sound?
Airplay streaming is lossless so better than Bluetooth
Airplay streaming is available to stream audio from any apps on iOS and Mac ( youtube, browser, souncloud ...)
So basically you can forget about Spark without adding any hardware

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Can you change volume without Spark or do you have to buy Devialet remote? I would have bought the remote if it had volume display
(30-Nov-2016, 09:16)Phs Wrote: Airplay streaming is lossless so better than Bluetooth
Airplay streaming is available to stream audio from any apps on iOS and Mac ( youtube, browser, souncloud ...)
So basically you can forget about Spark without adding any hardware

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

THAT itself is fantastic.  I would love to have all my computer audio stream through the Phantom losslessly.  Alas, currently can only do that via bluetooth given that I live in the Windows/Android world.   But do thank all who replied.
(30-Nov-2016, 09:09)Olli I Wrote: How can I use airplay when watching video? Is it something that only new macs can do? I have 2010 Mac Mini. What should be at the receiving end? Airplay to Apple TV for video and Airplay to Phantoms for sound?

well I'm not sure you can send the video to one Airplay device and the audio in an other.

Normally when playing, either at the system level or in the individual player (Quicktime for instance) you should be seeing the airplay icon, allowing you to select it as your output. If the output is audio only then the video is staying on the device.

Jean-Marie
PS: since I'm not using airplay anymore, I cannot test, so it is only from memory with all the necessary caveats and disclaimers Smile
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(30-Nov-2016, 09:42)MountainGuy Wrote: [THAT itself is fantastic.  I would love to have all my computer audio stream through the Phantom losslessly.  Alas, currently can only do that via bluetooth given that I live in the Windows/Android world.   But do thank all who replied.

It's possible to get Windows to do this, and with some hacking get android to do it as well, but it's almost certainly not worth it, and a Chromecast audio will be a lot more sensible. They are regularly on sale for so little, and mine has been very stable, I think they sell themselves. It is a slightly different thing to air play, better in many ways, but not all.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution