Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advantage of Airplay?
(30-Nov-2016, 12:47)Soniclife Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 09:42)MountainGuy Wrote: [THAT itself is fantastic.  I would love to have all my computer audio stream through the Phantom losslessly.  Alas, currently can only do that via bluetooth given that I live in the Windows/Android world.   But do thank all who replied.

It's possible to get Windows to do this, and with some hacking get android to do it as well, but it's almost certainly not worth it, and a Chromecast audio will be a lot more sensible. They are regularly on sale for so little, and mine has been very stable, I think they sell themselves. It is a slightly different thing to air play, better in many ways, but not all.

You can stream from Windows to Airplay devices using Airfoil
This is a great piece of software existing both for OSX and Windows
Airfoil also support Chromecast on Mac and Windows is announced
B
PH
(30-Nov-2016, 09:09)Olli I Wrote: How can I use airplay when watching video? Is it something that only new macs can do? I have 2010 Mac Mini. What should be at the receiving end? Airplay to Apple TV for video and Airplay to Phantoms for sound?

Basically you would need a newer Mac.
Apple made the chip standard on most macs in 2012, With some higher end machines capable from late 2011 If memory serves me..
As av workaround you could use an app like airparrot, but that is not ideal as it is simply a soft-hack to get  basic airplay functionality
(30-Nov-2016, 08:08)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 07:36)kameraguy Wrote: Not sure about EQ but Apple AirPlay is only for Apple products AFAIK. It's wifi based so it's automatically detected once the device is on the same wifi network. One advantage is there is no manual Bluetooth hunting to get connected. It's just present at all times to be selected. Another advantage is there is no need to use Spark. So I guess the feature would only benefit Apple users.

There is one potential additional advantage: If correctly implemented, Airplay sends back latency information so that the computer delays the video to keep audio and video in sync.

At least it was the case between my iPad, iPhone and Macs when I was using it.

Jean-Marie

VERY interesting. When you say correctly implemented, I take it you mean if Devialet correctly implements AirPlay? And Airfoil for Windows?

Otherwise it sounds like the Apple Airplay shares latency info so audio and video are sync'd....impressive. Is this documented in a white paper or other document I can read more on?
(30-Nov-2016, 20:54)kameraguy Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 08:08)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(30-Nov-2016, 07:36)kameraguy Wrote: Not sure about EQ but Apple AirPlay is only for Apple products AFAIK. It's wifi based so it's automatically detected once the device is on the same wifi network. One advantage is there is no manual Bluetooth hunting to get connected. It's just present at all times to be selected. Another advantage is there is no need to use Spark. So I guess the feature would only benefit Apple users.

There is one potential additional advantage: If correctly implemented, Airplay sends back latency information so that the computer delays the video to keep audio and video in sync.

At least it was the case between my iPad, iPhone and Macs when I was using it.

Jean-Marie

VERY interesting. When you say correctly implemented, I take it you mean if Devialet correctly implements AirPlay? And Airfoil for Windows?

Otherwise it sounds like the Apple Airplay shares latency info so audio and video are sync'd....impressive. Is this documented in a white paper or other document I can read more on?

I don't have any privileged access to the airplay protocol, so I don't know for sure, but I have been using several times watching video on my mac, my iPad or my iPhone while streaming the audio via airplay to a airport express access point itself connected via a Toslink to a DAC and amplifier. (That we before my Devialet time)
Synchronization was good even when using different network topologies (different number of hops and load). This is not possible without network latency compensation.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France