Poll: How do you like the sound quality of your Pro (newly upgraded from expert)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
60.47%
78 60.47%
Yes, with caveats
6.20%
8 6.20%
No!
0.78%
1 0.78%
No, with caveats
0.78%
1 0.78%
N/A. I upgraded for reasons other than sound quality.
0.78%
1 0.78%
I did not upgrade and don't plan to
31.01%
40 31.01%
Total 129 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Do you like the sound quality of the Expert Pro upgrade?
(06-Dec-2016, 06:04)baddog Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 01:16)Axel Wrote: I'm very pleased that I decided to upgrade to 440 Pro. There are improvements right across the board, and for me, possibly the best is low level performance. Sometimes I don't want the wick turned right up, at night or when we have guests. At low volumes the bass and treble are not diminished and the soundstage doesn't collapse in on itself, which was one of the main bugbears with my 400. So I have voted yes, with no caveats.

Ditto on everything Axel said....

Also bass quality seems even better, especially at low levels.
Not sure.

Can anyone explain what the purpose of the filters is and their impact. At present my set up is lacking in sustain. Piano notes curtail sharply when on my other systems there is much more sustain. 

The music is sound is giving the same sort of feeling that being in a sound deadened room. I fully expect the near silent sound floor to be noticeable, but I don't see why that should kill the sustain. On some tracks where you expect the music to come in with force it is sounding pretty subdued.

On the other hand clarity and detail are very good, but the overall experience is sounding a little deadened. Am I missing something?
(06-Dec-2016, 11:40)Woodman Wrote:
(06-Dec-2016, 06:04)baddog Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 01:16)Axel Wrote: I'm very pleased that I decided to upgrade to 440 Pro. There are improvements right across the board, and for me, possibly the best is low level performance. Sometimes I don't want the wick turned right up, at night or when we have guests. At low volumes the bass and treble are not diminished and the soundstage doesn't collapse in on itself, which was one of the main bugbears with my 400. So I have voted yes, with no caveats.

Ditto on everything Axel said....

Also bass quality seems even better, especially at low levels.
Not sure.

Can anyone explain what the purpose of the filters is and their impact. At present my set up is lacking in sustain. Piano notes curtail sharply when on my other systems there is much more sustain. 

The music is sound is giving the same sort of feeling that being in a sound deadened room. I fully expect the near silent sound floor to be noticeable, but I don't see why that should kill the sustain. On some tracks where you expect the music to come in with force it is sounding pretty subdued.

On the other hand clarity and detail are very good, but the overall experience is sounding a little deadened. Am I missing something?

Did you change anything in your system when plugging in your new D? Even a single cable would do the trick.

But...as you also have a problem with SAM not functioning there might be something wrong with the DSP inside your 130pro?!
Perhaps take it to your dealer and compare to another 130pro?

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Just got it back last night. I works great as before using the cross-over function but resolution and soundstage got even better. Also the optical input (toslink) works at 192/24 (which was a problem with the 250 upgrade before).
The better resolution makes the quality of the recording much more obvious, not only older recordings but also how may recent recordings are an assemblage of separate tracks lacking the coherence of music played live. Maybe that is the reason why tube gear is still popular: "beautiful sound" without being aware of the flawed record production process!
Yes , i look the software wersion i have on my 220 Pro , it says 10.0.7 But the latest software wersion you Can downloade is 10.0.5 a little Strange ?
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
Yep, I like the upgraded sound!
It sonds richer at low volumes and I find myself playing the D440 at higher volumes more often then I was used to play with my old D400. I think the reason for that is that the D440 sonds mor relaxed even at higher volumes.

Karsten
Onkyo Integra DV-SP1000 / Slim Devices Transporter -> D440pro -> Elac FS607 X-Jet
Gold Phantoms (Stereo)

G E R M A N Y

(03-Dec-2016, 15:57)Confused Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 10:06)thumb5 Wrote: I am very happy with the upgrade, in all respects -- especially the service provided by Oxford Audio Consultants, to give them a bit of a plug.  However I can understand why anyone whose system was already in danger of sounding a bit "edgy" might find the sound of the Pros pushes it too far in that direction.

An interesting comment!  I have just finished trying my system with and without the UptoneAudio LPS-1 powering the microRendu.  One way I could describe the influence of the LPS-1 is removing 'edginess'.  Not removing detail, far from it, but removing something that is just very slightly disconcerting.  I recall auditioning the 1000 Pro with the Aurender N10 at Oxford audio, this was a superb combination.  I like the Aurender very much, and I would say this is one source component that excels in lacking what you might call 'edginess'.   I am actually beginning to think that one aspect of the Pro is that even more than the Expert, it benefits for a decent source.

Edit: I would also like to add that the service I received from Oxford Audio was also absolutely first class.  It's worth mentioning I think, as there have been one or two posts recently from folk who have received shockingly bad service from their dealers.  Clearly not all dealers are the same.
thumb5I am very happy with the upgrade, in all respects -- especially the service provided by Oxford Audio Consultants, to give them a bit of a plug.  However I can understand why anyone whose system was already in danger of sounding a bit "edgy" might find the sound of the Pros pushes it too far in that direction.
(13-Dec-2016, 23:52)chippyguy Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 15:57)Confused Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 10:06)thumb5 Wrote: I am very happy with the upgrade, in all respects -- especially the service provided by Oxford Audio Consultants, to give them a bit of a plug.  However I can understand why anyone whose system was already in danger of sounding a bit "edgy" might find the sound of the Pros pushes it too far in that direction.

An interesting comment!  I have just finished trying my system with and without the UptoneAudio LPS-1 powering the microRendu.  One way I could describe the influence of the LPS-1 is removing 'edginess'.  Not removing detail, far from it, but removing something that is just very slightly disconcerting.  I recall auditioning the 1000 Pro with the Aurender N10 at Oxford audio, this was a superb combination.  I like the Aurender very much, and I would say this is one source component that excels in lacking what you might call 'edginess'.   I am actually beginning to think that one aspect of the Pro is that even more than the Expert, it benefits for a decent source.

Edit: I would also like to add that the service I received from Oxford Audio was also absolutely first class.  It's worth mentioning I think, as there have been one or two posts recently from folk who have received shockingly bad service from their dealers.  Clearly not all dealers are the same.

I have over the years received great service and attention from Oxford audio what a great team they all are led by Jon. I have been buying from them over 20 years now 
I feel that most really good hifi systems benefit from a good source so have put in a separate mains copper spur at a cost £450.00 to my basement to unswitched mains sockets 
Well worth the effort then 
I use chord signature aray mains leads and plugs
Just purchased my new Devialet 220 expert pro it's now well run in after 300 hours constant playing
What a different beast from my old 120. It's sensational
I have tried many different types of source over air app etc but none are as satisfactory as a hard wired connection
So I invested in a aurenderx100 6tb and use a chord Sarum super aray interconnection to the Devialet 
I am sure a few will disagree with me that the Devialet air works well   I'm I disagree to get the full benefit of the Devialet which ever model it benefits from hard wired 
I love my aurender.  Lol 
And all this goes via chord epic reference speaker cables to a mature pair sonus faber cremona auditor m  
I just wish hifi once you start climbing the ladder gets so expensive
I have noticed that there has been very little recent activity on this poll. However, there have been a number of folks posting received their upgraded amps back in the last week or so, therefore I thought I'd give this thread a quick 'bump'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm happy with my 250 pro, my only caveat is that my audio memory is not fantastic and the 250 sounded great before the upgrade as well!

I do think it sounds better at lower volumes though, more punch and clarity.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii