Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Phantom review - Steve Huff
(09-Dec-2016, 23:52)Gremlin Wrote: Two pairs of gold, silver or vanilla speakers will sound different (and I mean will, not might) if they are not level matched. Full stop and end of.

Do you even have ears?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Dec-2016, 00:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(09-Dec-2016, 23:52)Gremlin Wrote: Two pairs of gold, silver or vanilla speakers will sound different (and I mean will, not might) if they are not level matched. Full stop and end of.

Do you even have ears?

Are you able to communicate without insulting people?

Even more challenging in my opinion: two pairs of the same speakers will be perceived different if not level matched, with a preference given to the one having the highest level.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(10-Dec-2016, 01:27)Gremlin Wrote:
(10-Dec-2016, 00:37)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Do you even have ears?

Are you able to communicate without insulting people?

LOL, apparently not!

So I'm just going to stay out of this thread. Don't want to get all nasty over a pair of (in my view) ugly speakers
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(09-Dec-2016, 11:04)NickB Wrote: That's it? You don't listen as well?

No. What would be the point?

Ok, if I were to buy a new set of speakers, I would prefer to listen to them in my own room first. So as to be sure that they would work there.

But electronics (DACs, amplifiers, streamers etc) if properly designed are all going to sound exactly the same as each other these days (as long as they are operating within their design parameters). Transparent (ie, doing the job WELL within the limits of human perception) is the best/all we can ask of them, and they do it in spades.

And now, active speakers are so good, I'd even buy a pair (if I could afford such) on specs/measurements alone.

At present, I'd go for the Kii Threes. Money is the only barrier. And I certainly don't want a "signature" sound. What the musicians and engineers did, please.
Steve Huff has added further listening impression and comments to his Gold review per December 13.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I had a great demo at the Audiobarn in Harlow of a pair of Gold phantoms. The best system I have heard ever but boy do they expose bad recordings. Of course they make good recordings come through clear and crisp. The only limitation in audio quality now is how good you are at choosing recordings.
(03-Dec-2016, 18:53)kameraguy Wrote: I like Steves reviews "in general". As a photographer, I'm familiar with his camera gear reviews. They are pretty good to get someone an overall feel for how a product is. But his camera reviews often lack actual test measurements so that's where I look elsewhere for true specifics on how a product performs. His camera reviews seem more like overviews with initial impressions.

I feel the same for this Gold Phantom review. I get suspicious whenever a reviewer quotes a lot of marketing material or shares opinions as facts  without real tests to validate those claims.

Sorry, I know this is going to come off harsh. But since there were no test measurements to help us quantify any of the differences that should be quantifiable (i.e.: midrange fatness mentioned for the silvers), then this strikes me as less a review and more like an overview with initial impressions woven in.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Steve's time to share his (overwhelmingly positive in this case) overview and initial impressions, but from the standpoint of comparing the golds to the white and silver phantoms I feel he based his expectations from the marketing materials and went from there. As another example...the bass response. We all know the Golds can reach 14hz. But that's not at a volume level of 80. He doesn't even mention that in his review. That would mislead anyone who isn't at all familiar with Phantom specs.

i actually think most people on the forums here would make better reviewers for the Phantoms since we most-likely have spent more time discussing and researching the Phantoms out of critical interest than the more casual listener. But not many of us have the opportunity to simply buy a pair of golds and compare them side by side with the other Phantoms.

Here you are: the frequency response is basically flat from 14 to 14Khz on axis AND off axis: Exclamation
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/re...view-r654/
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac