Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 with ATC SCM40?
Hi guys

Anyone running ATC SCM40 Mk 2 with an Expert amp?

I'm contemplating a move from my trusty old Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (circa 2000) to something with a little more "verve".  ATC SCM40 Mk 2 are an obvious choice and there's a SAM profile for them as well.

I know I have to audition them but it's not easy here in this little old bankrupt country known as Portugal, but I plan a trip to Lisbon to do so.  Any views / alternative suggestions?  Stand mounts are not a real option (I fancy some LS50s) due to dogs and grandchildren - stability issues.  Confused

I hear that the SCM40s do indeed exhibit an degree of "excitement" in their presentation, but I don't want bleeding ears in the name of accuracy.  One of my concerns is that some of my source material is less than perfect (for historical reasons) - think MP3 @ 320KBps - and I read that ATCs are unforgiving of poor sources.  Mostly it's Flac fed from an iMac into Squeezebox Touch connected via coax.

Musically, I'm into a lot of modern / contemporary jazz (fairly upbeat) so not really bothered about imaging etc.  No classical and not much acoustic or even vocals.  And definitely no Dianna Krall (but Norah Jones is OK).   I just like my music to grab me by the gonads and say "get on down you bad boy . . . Big Grin ".  In a previous life I was a serious Naim olive-series user so it's all about PRAT IMHO if you're a flat-earther . . .

Thanks
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

(03-Dec-2016, 21:25)GRC Wrote: Hi guys

Anyone running ATC SCM40 Mk 2 with an Expert amp?

I'm contemplating a move from my trusty old Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (circa 2000) to something with a little more "verve".  ATC SCM40 Mk 2 are an obvious choice and there's a SAM profile for them as well.

I know I have to audition them but it's not easy here in this little old bankrupt country known as Portugal, but I plan a trip to Lisbon to do so.  Any views / alternative suggestions?  Stand mounts are not a real option (I fancy some LS50s) due to dogs and grandchildren - stability issues.  Confused

I hear that the SCM40s do indeed exhibit an degree of "excitement" in their presentation, but I don't want bleeding ears in the name of accuracy.  One of my concerns is that some of my source material is less than perfect (for historical reasons) - think MP3 @ 320KBps - and I read that ATCs are unforgiving of poor sources.  Mostly it's Flac fed from an iMac into Squeezebox Touch connected via coax.

Musically, I'm into a lot of modern / contemporary jazz (fairly upbeat) so not really bothered about imaging etc.  No classical and not much acoustic or even vocals.  And definitely no Dianna Krall (but Norah Jones is OK).   I just like my music to grab me by the gonads and say "get on down you bad boy . . . Big Grin ".  In a previous life I was a serious Naim olive-series user so it's all about PRAT IMHO if you're a flat-earther . . .

Thanks
I'm an ex naim user, and I've deemed this combo, I hated it, harsh and flat (dynamically), really didn't understand why it didn't work, neither did the dealer, and it was all his kit. Approach with caution is my suggestion.

The Spendor D7 is worth considering, as is the pro upgrade, it has more verve than the non pro.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Consider auditioning PMC speakers too. Maye Twenty 23 is for you.