Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1000 Pro Review
Another review, well not quite, actually it's not a review at all ......

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/...amplifiers

Plus, this does not appear to be a review either, but there are some pictures of nice things

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/12/dev...agazine%29

This is a review (I think) but I am struggling to read it:

http://designwsound.com/dwsblog/2016/11/...technique/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
This is a throwback to the original J. Fritz review posted, but after 5 days with the 220 Pro, I'm surprised that JF found the D200 and D1000 Pro sounded so similar. Srima quoted the relevant part in post #40, previous page. Hell, after 30 seconds the difference between the D120 and the D220 Pro was apparent to me... and it is a big difference.

It makes me wonder if the D200 was hugely better than the D120; I don't think it was, but even if so, the difference is the style, or nature, of the presentation of the Pro series is clearly different. I think that generally others agree on that point (and not all like the new presentation).

I mean, assuming the 220 Pro is better than the D200, and the D200 is not much different, or not easily discernibly different, from a D1000 Pro, then is the D220 Pro almost equal to a D1000 Pro? For the most part, or for ordinary files?

I realize I'm not explaining my confusion very well. Just musing on the idea that the sound quality change Pro upgrade was subtle enough that JF had to dig for it. Perhaps others here had a similar experience or reaction. Oh, well. Back to work.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
A lot of musings there Damon! I have some thoughts myself. When I read your earlier post regarding the move from the 120 to the 220 Pro, about 80% of what you wrote reminded me of the audition I had of the D800 versus the 1000 Pro. So this suggests that there is a common change from any Expert to Pro model. As for telling the difference between an Expert and a Pro, you took 30 seconds, I recall my mind being made up part way through the second track I listened too, so maybe a full five minutes for me. To be honest, I find one or two of MR Fritz's comments completely unfathomable!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I've said this here before but I'll do it again just because this keeps coming up (Fritz's comment about the 200-1000 difference)
Jeff has a very expensive power supply to his listening room so I wonder how much better the 200 can sound if it gets good clean power. That would be a good explanation why the difference was smaller.

So here's a question to those who have a power conditioner; can any of you shine a light on this? Is it possible that the renewed power supply in the Pro version is what makes the Pro better than the standard Expert?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Dec-2016, 00:25)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I've said this here before but I'll do it again just because this keeps coming up (Fritz's comment about the 200-1000 difference)
Jeff has a very expensive power supply to his listening room so I wonder how much better the 200 can sound if it gets good clean power. That would be a good explanation why the difference was smaller.

So here's a question to those who have a power conditioner; can any of you shine a light on this? Is it possible that the renewed power supply in the Pro version is what makes the Pro better than the standard Expert?

Good question.  The multiple reports of less forgiving top end on the PRO makes staying with the D200 sound good to me.

If I can get a substantial improvement through power upgrades I'd go that way.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I'm using an Isotek Titan Evo3 power conditioner with my 1000pro and also with my 800 before.
The 1000pro is still a major improvement over the 800. Especially the top end of the pro is more forgiving as the 800. Not because it is softening things but because it is much more precise, showing more details with less strain.
The 220pro should bring the same improvement compared to the 200.
Well we now have 3-4 reports of less forgiving top end and 1 report of more forgiving.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Well you can add a +1 on better "top end" from me.

Just wrote this in another topic (http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...7#pid55027):

I think Damon is right about the digital edge he hears being because of something in his system. The Sonos he uses as a source for example is not really the best out there. I myself would surely not attribute it to the Pro in general and if one could say anything I think it would be that the Pro is incredibly transparant. To me and in my system at least it is; in a a different topic I already wrote: the Pro is more clean, detailed and transparent (in the good way) in the upper mids and highs while at the same time sounding more fluid, refined and musical. In short it's more class A and analog sounding, less digital. No digital edge or brightness, rather the opposite it's rich and perhaps a tad warm sounding.

My more complete initial impressions (which still apply now) on the Pro are here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...7#pid52947

As always both positive and negative bias can apply. People will find whatever arguments for doing or not doing the upgrade. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands