Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your Phantom (Gold) have a hum/buzz?
I have two gold + dialog and beside the humming (50hz, which I only hear if I'm very close to any unit) I also have a more annoying sound which is louder and not a single frequency. Almost sounds like the heads of a hardrive moving around >_< Turning off bluetooth does nothing, which leaves the wifi as blueray also notes. Does anyone know what circuits they have used, this to me feels cheap =(

I tried recording it, not allowed to attach the result to the post tho, will put it off site and link. I tried to filter out the background noice.

http://hem.bredband.net/b241573/devialet_noice.mp3
(16-Dec-2016, 23:43)ragwo Wrote: Is the buzzing sound changing pitch or is it a continuous sound?The switch mode power supply in both my Gold Phantoms are making a sound almost like a radio picking up a cell phone signal. It's really faint and I can't hear it at 50 cm.

I stand corrected. The sound is clearly audible 4 meters away. Quite annoying.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(20-Jan-2017, 18:31)ragwo Wrote:
(16-Dec-2016, 23:43)ragwo Wrote: Is the buzzing sound changing pitch or is it a continuous sound?The switch mode power supply in both my Gold Phantoms are making a sound almost like a radio picking up a cell phone signal. It's really faint and I can't hear it at 50 cm.

I stand corrected. The sound is clearly audible 4 meters away. Quite annoying.

Same for me. Not a problem when listening to music, but when no music is playing I hear it clearly in the entire room, also at 5m distance. In my case it is one of the Gold Phantoms that has this noise much louder. Measuring it closely (at 10 cm distance) a frequency analysis shows a 18dB peak at 1.2 kHz compared to the ambient noise. The other Gold has a about 50% higher noise than my Silver Phantom, which has a noise that I can berely hear when I put my ear close to the back of the Phantom. For me this noise sounds like it comes from the power transformer, maybe a inductor that resonates with the chopping frequency. As it is so much louder on one of the Gold Phantoms I consider to have it replaced.
If I press the button on the back of the Phantom for about 8 seconds, the woofers makes a sound and the annoying noise disappears on my Golds. Seems like it's a way to turn the speakers off. I thought the culprit was the PSU, but if the noise stops when pressing the button, the WiFi module is more likely to blame? The speakers are missing in Spark after the 8 seconds push procedure.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Mine are totally silent.
I can hear the sound coming out of my phantoms - but almost unhearable and only if I put my ear on top of the phantom. It is true - it sounds a bit similar like a small harddrive :-) but faster and faaaaar less noisy.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
New owner of a pair of phantom golds + dialogue, I can confirm that I also get a electronic/crackling noise as well.  Mine happens even during playback of a song which is a bit concerning but overall the sound quality is great.  I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot r issue, ie any different configurations, moving speakers around etc...
I switched my Silvers to Gold, sound of the power switching is unbearable. I hear it from 5 meters, easily. I even made a recording of all the noises Phantom does, will post it soon.
I've changed my Silvers because of the noise before and after replacement it was mostly the same.
(10-Feb-2017, 19:37)dmitrek Wrote: I've changed my Silvers because of the noise before and after replacement it was mostly the same.

I have two silvers and no noise