Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does your Phantom (Gold) have a hum/buzz?
Two Golds, Two Silvers, no perceptible noise, 60hz hum, until six inches away from ear.
(10-Feb-2017, 21:24)Johnnydev Wrote:
(10-Feb-2017, 19:37)dmitrek Wrote: I've changed my Silvers because of the noise before and after replacement it was mostly the same.

I have two silvers and no noise

On silvers it's less of PSU and more of small tweeter buzz.
(09-Feb-2017, 19:25)ragwo Wrote: If I press the button on the back of the Phantom for about 8 seconds, the woofers makes a sound and the annoying noise disappears on my Golds. Seems like it's a way to turn the speakers off. I thought the culprit was the PSU, but if the noise stops when pressing the button, the WiFi module is more likely to blame? The speakers are missing in Spark after the 8 seconds push procedure.

It is actually about 5 seconds and it does switch off your phantoms. So, all modules are not working, so no noise.
(11-Feb-2017, 22:16)dmitrek Wrote:
(09-Feb-2017, 19:25)ragwo Wrote: If I press the button on the back of the Phantom for about 8 seconds, the woofers makes a sound and the annoying noise disappears on my Golds. Seems like it's a way to turn the speakers off. I thought the culprit was the PSU, but if the noise stops when pressing the button, the WiFi module is more likely to blame? The speakers are missing in Spark after the 8 seconds8 push procedure.

It is actually about 5 seconds and it does switch off your phantoms. So, all modules are not working, so no noise.

My point was; if the PSU was the culprit, the noise would still be there after turning off the speakers. Hence something else is to blame.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(12-Feb-2017, 00:02)ragwo Wrote:
(11-Feb-2017, 22:16)dmitrek Wrote:
(09-Feb-2017, 19:25)ragwo Wrote: If I press the button on the back of the Phantom for about 8 seconds, the woofers makes a sound and the annoying noise disappears on my Golds. Seems like it's a way to turn the speakers off. I thought the culprit was the PSU, but if the noise stops when pressing the button, the WiFi module is more likely to blame? The speakers are missing in Spark after the 8 seconds8 push procedure.

My point was; if the PSU was the culprit, the noise would still be there after turning off the speakers. Hence something else is to blame.

Usually there are two circuits in the devices, one for low-power operation (like turning on when the button is pressed, or activation on the ethernet signal, etc) and another for high-power operations. So I still think it's the power.

What worries me even more is that Devialet says that the Expert noise is normal for the following reasons (https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/203427171): 

Quote:Although there are no moving parts inside a Devialet, you may hear in some cases an extremely soft noise in stand-by. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is caused by the vibration of some ferrite elements in the power supply. The level of this extremely low noise varies from unit to unit. Again, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I am still worried though since it ruins my musical experience. Once I had a buzzing Emotiva mono amplifier and they agreed to change it, readily admitting that it's their mistake.
So, here's how Golds sound like when it's supposed to produce no background noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oabgqg38491xia...m.m4a?dl=0
(15-Feb-2017, 02:22)dmitrek Wrote: So, here's how Golds sound like when it's supposed to produce no background noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oabgqg38491xia...m.m4a?dl=0
Sounds exactly the same here. Have you sent the recording to Devialet?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(15-Feb-2017, 02:22)dmitrek Wrote: So, here's how Golds sound like when it's supposed to produce no background noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oabgqg38491xia...m.m4a?dl=0

Exactly - thats the army of ants you hear inside working :-)
All my Phantoms do the same... but hardly audible.
I cannot say that it bothers me.
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
Yes, that's exactly the noise of my two Golds. It's the reason I unplug the Golds when not used in a quit room.... For me very disappointing. No reply on this from Deviate yet.
I've sent this recording to Devialet and will wait for their reply.