Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Hifi Gold Phantom Review: Sound is foggy?
(19-Dec-2016, 04:34)MountainGuy Wrote:
(18-Dec-2016, 12:54)Confused Wrote:
(18-Dec-2016, 12:38)HJFB Wrote: Reading through the review it is hard to know if they had reviewed the Phantom as a single unit. It would have been nice for them to clarify the situation as I would not expect a review of any quality 'stereo' speaker system to demonstrate depth and clarity when listened to as a mono unit.
The fact that they rate the Phantom so highly as a single unit only demonstrates that what it does, it does its thing better than it ought to be able to - please set up a pair and judge them in a more realistic configuration.
If reviewed as a pair, then let us know, as the comments about foggy sound and lack of separation is the opposite of what I found that Phantoms do better than any speaker in anything close to their price range.
There does seem to be a reluctance to consider Phantoms seriously, which is a shame - maybe the looks are too dramatic to be considered true high end for some.

I have been proud owner of a pair of Silver Phantoms for a year and would not hesitate in shouting out to all to at least go listen and judge for yourself.

It looks clear enough to me that it is review of a single unit:  (the biggest clue is the article states 'Tested at  £2,160')

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3812

Whoa - if it is just a single unit, then it throws the whole review into suspect for me regarding the critique.  Stereo is just essential to compare with other speakers which is in stereo setup.

I think Devialet deserves reviews like these. After all, it's them who decided to sell them as single units. So they're asking for it. Not very smart in my book.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
So if you sell mono block amplifiers they should be reviewed in mono only?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Who am i to criticize...
2 weeks ago I was at Devialet's flagship store in Paris to get a demo of the Phantom Gold compared to the Silver.
To my own opinion there was obviously an issue with the sound setup on both systems. (maybe interference ? who knows...)
I can't believe the people who are managing this place missed this...
So i told the sales person in place that the sound was distorted or "foggy"... (Not even close to the sound that comes from my Phantom Silver)
The sales person stared at me with an arrogant smile on his face (without even knowing i was a Phantom owner) and made me feel uncomfortable... Arguing it was the best wireless speaker in the world.
It goes without saying that spending over €5500 does not include an amazing customer experience.
(19-Dec-2016, 04:33)MountainGuy Wrote: For Magnaplanar, I get it - a dipole, large panel producing sound. It does sound very open to me too. I like that sound. However, you do give up that point source effect.
How narrow is the sweet spot for the golds or silvers? Is your head in a vice?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Not in a vice unlike large panels.
I can't believe how good they sound from behind! (Have them in the middle of an open plan area)

Of course the crispy high frequency is lacking - but otherwise the untrained ear would say they still sounded great

Then you realise how amazing the clarity is when you move in front of them again

Apart from hearing the stereo aligned to both speakers when you are centred, I find sound quality wise there isn't really a sweet spot that's noticeable when you find it.

One of the reasons I love em - no more geeky listening position Smile
What is the optimum listening position for Phantoms, does anyone know?
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50