Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ifi iusb 3.0
Anyone tried the Ifi iusb 3.0? It seems like the complete all-in-one box solution for USB signal upgrade.
How does it compare to a Sotm SMS200 + Mutec MC3 usb for example? What are other options with a comparable SQ?
a friend has the ifi iUsb 3.0, I have the Mutec MC-3 USB. The Mutec is twice the price and also twice as good.
The new AIR 3.01 and 3.02 is about the same SQ as the Mutec, 3.0 and older 2.x versions are worse than USB.
At least that are my observations.
(23-Dec-2016, 14:26)Vivialet Wrote: a friend has the ifi iUsb 3.0, I have the Mutec MC-3 USB. The Mutec is twice the price and also twice as good.
The new AIR 3.01 and 3.02 is about the same SQ as the Mutec, 3.0 and older 2.x versions are worse than USB.
At least that are my observations.

So there is not much SQ improvement via USB what you're saying?
Did you make any comparison with dedicated streamer like Aurender?
no, I'm using an optimized PC with foobar, jplay, ProcessLasso and Mathaudio RoomEQ.
I have used USB for a long time, Aqvox cable and later added a Regen and ifi iPurifier2. Better than the old Air versions.
Then I bought the Mutec which is a big improvement over simple USB. The Mutec was connected to the Devialet via AES/EBU cable from Oyaide.
The PC was first connected to the Mutec via USB but later I switched to a good TOSlink cable which again improved SQ. Maybe because of the galvanic isolation. This was my reference for almost a year until AIR 3.01 was released. I could not hear a difference that was worth to keep the complex transmission, so I switched to AIR which is now working perfectly.
That's great news! That leaves me in deciding on a ethernet cable. The AQ vodka has great reviews but pretty expensive. Wonder if it's worth it compared to a Supra cat8?
iFi makes toys and a well polished looking, overhyped buzzword compliant website, that's about it! IMHO of course.. Wink Big Grin

Regarding the Mutec (which is functionally seen incomparable to an iFi iUSB3); the source in front of it still matters. The Mutec is not THE silver bullet which "solves" it all though it does improve it all. I noticed a very large increase in SQ when I switched from my DIY music server (fairly extensively optimized hard- and software) to a microRendu. I can imagine though that Vivialet would not like to switch to a non-PC based platform to be able to keep using the roomEQ software he mentioned.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
@Antoine: did you already compare AIR3 to the microRendu?
I must say I use a cheap ethernet cable directly into the mac mini. I'm trying to make a decision on which path to take:
1. a finer ethernet cable AIR3
2. a NAA like the microrendu + reclocker
3. dedicated streamer Aurender like
eitherway I need a better cable, so that's a no brainer.
Question is how much better option 2 and 3 will sound.
only for completeness: I'm using AIR Wifi. No cable is the best cable...
(23-Dec-2016, 14:46)roestano Wrote: So there is not much SQ improvement via USB what you're saying?
Did you make any comparison with dedicated streamer like Aurender?

roestano

I did try out a Berkeley Alpha USB between my Aurender N100H using my Audioquest  Diamond USB cable.
All 3 of us in the room said the same thing, that there was a very slight improvement in the overall sound 
but not work the cost of the Berkeley ($2500 us)

Air 3 and Ethernet is the way to go, and yes the Vodka is worth its price, but the Aurender with a top of the line USB
cable beats Air 3 in overall sound quality on a 440PRO

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(23-Dec-2016, 22:49)roestano Wrote: @Antoine: did you already compare AIR3 to the microRendu?
I must say I use a cheap ethernet cable directly into the mac mini. I'm trying to make a decision on which path to take:
1. a finer ethernet cable AIR3
2. a NAA like the microrendu + reclocker
3. dedicated streamer Aurender like
eitherway I need a better cable, so that's a no brainer.
Question is how much better option 2 and 3 will sound.

I have compared AIR 3 with the microRendu, with both ifi and UptoneAudio LPS-1 power.  I have also done the same with the Mutec MCS+USB in the chain.  I think when doing this you are as much comparing input methods to the Devialet as much as comparing sources.  USB, Ethernet and AES/EBU do have different characteristics, in particular with bass definition.  The best example of this is a test I heard of the Aurender N10, feeding a Devialet first via USB, then AES/EBU.  With USB there was more bass, but the bass quality, accuracy and insight was much better via AES/EBU.  Another complication is that I suspect that some aspect of the USB implementation in the Pro is better than on the old Expert, so what holds true for the Expert may not translate directly to the Pro.  Anyway, with my system, my ears and the old D800, AIR had slightly better bass definition than an ifi powered mR via USB, but otherwise I would put the mR slightly ahead, a bit more real & analogue sounding, less 'digital glare.'  With the Pro, I'd put the mR+LPS-1 ahead in all areas, the bass issues I experience via USB on the D800, seaming mitigated by the Pro's USB.  Having said that, I need to be clear, I think AIR 3 is very good indeed and the margin to the LPS-1 powered mR is small.  Add the Mutec into the chain, and everything gets better in all areas.  I would love to put the LPS-1/mR/Mutec head to head with an Aurender N10, I reckon there would be very little in it.  It is worth noting that personally I think the N10 is superb, I have listened to one with the D800 and 1000 Pro, it works brilliantly with both.  Having said that, the LPS-1/mR/Mutec does have one clear advantage over the Aurender, in that you can use Roon, JRiver, Airplay and so on.  Also, the LPS-1/mR/Mutec is a touch cheaper.

I also agree with Antoine's 'silver bullet' comment.  When I first had the Mutec I thought it was so good, that you could feed it anything and it would isolate, clean up the signal, re-clock and sound superb.  However, it does appear to be dependant on what you feed it, better quality in, better quality comes out.  Using the Mutec with the mR, you can still hear the benefit gained from swapping ifi power for the LPS-1.

AIR 3 does sound very good though, plus it is now stable for most, extremely versatile, and effectively free.   Quite compelling!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12