Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed with subwoofer problem
My Atohm V38s subwoofer has arrived, but I’m having a bit of a problem.
I wonder if anyone can help.
Its making a rumbling/cracking sound like distant thunder. Huh
It does it whether is connected to the amplifier/Coax or not. Its also independent of the amplifier volume and quite loud. So assuming its not an amp/cable issue.
I had a loud humming noise initially, but solved that by plugging the sub to the same power strip as the rest of the system (to make sure earth is the same).

The rest of my system is a Devialet 250, Atohm GT1 SE (sources Mac Mini and Rega P3)
Everything else is working fine.
Not sure what this can be.
Thanks
Brendan
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

(23-Dec-2016, 10:38)DelaneyB Wrote: My Atohm V38s subwoofer has arrived, but I’m having a bit of a problem.
It does it whether is connected to the amplifier/Coax or not. Its also independent of the amplifier volume and quite loud. So assuming its not an amp/cable issue.
I had a loud humming noise initially, but solved that by plugging the sub to the same power strip as the rest of the system (to make sure earth is the same).

The rest of my system is a Devialet 250, Atohm GT1 SE (sources Mac Mini and Rega P3)
Thanks
Brendan

Hi Brendan,
if nothing is connected to the sub, just the PC to the power strip, it is most likely that something is broken/loose inside the sub due to transport/fabrication.
Sorry but I think you have to send it back. Make a quick phone call to the dealer before to describe the issue though.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(23-Dec-2016, 11:08)yabaVR Wrote:
(23-Dec-2016, 10:38)DelaneyB Wrote: My Atohm V38s subwoofer has arrived, but I’m having a bit of a problem.

Thanks
Brendan

Hi Brendan,
if nothing is connected to the sub, just the PC to the power strip, it is most likely that something is broken/loose inside the sub due to transport/fabrication.
Sorry but I think you have to send it back. Make a quick phone call to the dealer before to describe the issue though.

gui

Thanks,
Oh well, that will mean shipping it back to Italy from the UK in the New Year....
Sad

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

Very strange though.
I changed the mains cable to the original continental one (with an adaptor) and it went away for about an hour.
No its back, but a lot quieter. Just a varying 'rumbling' sound like a distant storm. Very audible when no music is playing.
Could it be something to do with the mains?

Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

(23-Dec-2016, 18:25)DelaneyB Wrote: Very strange though.
I changed the mains cable to the original continental one (with an adaptor) and it went away for about an hour.
No its back, but a lot quieter. Just a varying 'rumbling' sound like a distant storm. Very audible when no music is playing.

If you suspect a bad mains supply, listen to it in the early hours of the morning, when there is less draw on the mains and see what you hear. I mean hear what you hear. I mean....well you know what I mean!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Some sort of Christmas lights mains pollution?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(23-Dec-2016, 18:25)DelaneyB Wrote: Very strange though.

May be a loose mains connetion inside the sub at the IEC or on the mainboard. If you know how to do it you should open the unpowered back panel and have a look on the connections inside. It could be a very simple issue. Post a photo if you're not sure.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Well the upstairs neighbours have vetoed it anyway. The extra bass goes straight into their flat even though its NOT loud.
Depressing....

Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

(24-Dec-2016, 00:51)DelaneyB Wrote: Well the upstairs neighbours have vetoed it anyway. The extra bass goes straight into their flat even though its NOT loud.
Depressing....

Spoke to a very nice Mr Cont at Atohm today. suggested cleaning all the microswitches with switch cleaner. Sorted the problem.
Now waiting for my sorbthane feet.....

Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1

(11-Jan-2017, 00:06)DelaneyB Wrote: cleaning all the microswitches with switch cleaner. Sorted the problem.
Now waiting for my sorbthane feet.....

What are the 'microswitches'

Sorry to jump on your thread, but the problem I have is a 'heartbeat' sound I get from my Sub (Paradigm Sub1), any idea what would cause this?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)