Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vote Magico M3 for SAM?
Pretty please? Vote page here. I figure if the Q7 is worth SAM treatment (despite tiny number of owners), then surely the M3 should be on the list? (Yes, I am lucky enough to have a pair due for delivery, so it's not purely theoretical for me.)
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
I would hope 70k speakers don't need SAM.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

In my experience, SAM is a benefit regardless of price, because the Devialet can make corrections that can only be made in DSP. I'd say there are quite a few speakers at the lofty heights that have been SAM'd (including the Q7 mk2, which is well over $100k).
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3714

SAM isn't perfect, I think you might find after performing the gui test, you may want to let your awesome Magico's do their thing without SAM.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Here's something to think about when doing this test. When you first set up your speakers and get them to sound as good as possible with or without SAM, I think it would be prudent to re-assess your set up when you change SAM. After all, the phase shift could mean the tilting of your speakers should be changed and the extra low end could mean you need to pull your speakers from the wall a bit to overcome bloated bass.

Every new speaker has its own 'best' position in the room. A SAMed speakers is effectively a 'new' speaker because it sounds different.

BTW Magico M3; WOW!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I don't think votes have anything to do with whether speakers are SAMed or not. In the days before SAM lab, my Proac D20Rs were SAMed when the votes were below 30. I think it had more to do with which companies made their speakers available to Devialet than votes.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(03-Jan-2017, 22:37)flohmann Wrote: In my experience, SAM is a benefit regardless of price, because the Devialet can make corrections that can only be made in DSP. I'd say there are quite a few speakers at the lofty heights that have been SAM'd (including the Q7 mk2, which is well over $100k).

If it were me and I had the luxury of those speakers, then based on my experience I would leave it off. Since disabling it on my facts I much prefer the D.

It could of course be speaker specific, and maybe the facts isn't such a successful SAM profile, but the benefits don't outweigh the negatives in my setup (in my opinion). Or maybe I just don't like this 'perfectly aligned' sound its claimed to produce? Still, you don't have the benefit of comparing until they're profiled I guess Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Im also not that convinced of SAM for higher end full range speakers
Tried it with my G1's on a 400 system ..was better without it on my single d prem I had at the time
Rather use something like DIRAC to correct the bass
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. In my experience with my Magico Q1 speakers, SAM makes a significant difference -- but not for the bass! I actually have SAM dialed back to about 10%, which preserves the phase correction but removes the bass augmentation. For me, that has been the best combination (the added bass made the Q1 sound all wrong -- sometimes more is not better, at least in my room).

So, if you have high end speakers (and the Q1 are pretty stellar in my book), do experiment with SAM dialed way down to see whether you like the phase correction, even if you don't like the bass correction.
Definitely OFF with my Wilson Sasha's !
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable