Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Lost Recordings Open Event Feb 4th
Happy New Year to all!

Devialet will be continuing their Lost Recording events this year starting with an evening in the city of dreaming spires! The event is open to all and we would love to see as many of you there as possible. It will be held on Saturday 4th February starting from around 5pm but times will be firmed up as the day approaches.

The playback will be taking place at one of Oxford's University's most historical music venues, the Holywell Music Room which is situated right in the heart of the city. Buses from each of the city's park and rides will take you to within a 5 minute walk of the venue. For those after a chinwag and a tipple after listening to one of the infamous "Lacquers" we will be keeping the store open late for drinks and canapes.

Having heard some of the Sarah Vaughan lacquer, it will be a real treat for those who can make it. Even if only to see the guys from Devialet UK use one of their £6,300.00 LP's.

Please email me or reply if you would like to attend. An OAC mailshot will go out breifly to those on our mailing list and Devialet will be sending out a more detailed invitation soon.

Kind regards to all

Alasdair
Hello Alasdair - sounds like a fun event; I'd like to attend, please.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
It's a big old venue Ian, and at the moment it looks like its just the two of us to enjoy it!

For anyone interested in coming along, the session will run from 5:30 on Saturday 4th Feb until around 7:30. Drinks and a chinwag is highly recommended at OAC afterwards and all are welcome. Jon gave me the Sarah Vaughan record for X Mas (not the lacquer!) and I must say, it is a superbly mastered LP. Sarah chats away with her audience and it's a truely personal performance. I hope that the rest are just as good!

We will be sending out invitations over the next few days, spaces will be limited but I wanted to offer the opportunity to attend first to DChatters as a thank you for another great year having so many of you as customers. If anyone is interested, keep the emails coming and we will make sure that theres a space with your name on it.

Kind regards

Alasdair
Anyone else from the forum going along next week-end?
Warwickshire, UK
Hello again Ian,

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in! I have 75 booked and quite a few are forum members. I shall not name names, but having met everyone before, I think it'll be a great, friendly and fun atmosphere.

Alasdair
(28-Jan-2017, 15:41)thumb5 Wrote: Anyone else from the forum going along next week-end?

I'll be there Ian, though the music to be played is not my normal choice!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-Feb-2017, 18:35)f1eng Wrote:
(28-Jan-2017, 15:41)thumb5 Wrote: Anyone else from the forum going along next week-end?

I would love to be there, but the chance to see Black Sabbath at their farewell concert in Birmingham was too good to miss.

On a positive note - after that concert, I doubt I will be worrying about hearing the benefits of MQA or different brands of cable ever again  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(01-Feb-2017, 18:35)f1eng Wrote:

I'll look forward to seeing you there, Frank.  And anyone else who's coming along, of course!
Warwickshire, UK
Well? Any feedback? I know a few of you were there!!  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It was an interesting event.  The session was introduced by a chap from Devialet (whose name I'm afraid I didn't catch).  He did quite a bit of scene-setting and told the story of how the Lost Recordings were discovered.  The Sarah Vaughan lacquer was placed on the turntable with plenty of reverence - white gloves and all - and then played for about 20 minutes.  I was a bit non-plussed by it, to be honest, because although some aspects of it (e.g. percussion) sounded wonderfully realistic, I couldn't get over the nagging feeling that we were hearing a superb reproduction of a mid-1970s PA amp, which seemed to be slightly perverse. To be fair, the system did give a very good sense of "being there" in the club. As well as the Sarah Vaughan, they played a few minutes each from the other two Lost Recordings (on vinyl) - Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans. Of these the Bill Evans stood out for me, from a sound quality point of view - that was very impressive, best of the evening I thought - although the music wasn't really my thing.

The system was a 1000 Pro with Blades, fed by the top-of-the-range Project turntable with an Ortofon Cadenza Red (at least I think that's what I overheard Alastair saying). I would have loved to have heard some classical music through it. The Holywell Music Room was a great venue - apparently the oldest purpose-built concert hall in Europe.

Thence to the shop for a few sips of bubbly and a bite. Pleasant chat with some attendees I didn't recognise from DC (and they didn't own up if they were members!). Frank seemed to be deeply engaged in discussion so I said a quick hello and goodbye. Back home in time to listen to my own system for a bit and think: yes, that's not bad at all either.

Sorry if I missed someone I should have recognised!  And thanks to Jon, Alastair and the crew for a fun evening.
Warwickshire, UK