Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Master Audio has gone Live
(06-Jan-2017, 15:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 15:29)octaviars Wrote: Is it just me that want Devialet to get Roon and MQA in the new streamerboard, this will not happen I think but one can always dream.

A new streamer board wasn't required to decode DSD it certainly shouldn't be required to decode MQA.  But Devialet might sell it as such.

If you have a MQA capable dac and tell the Tidal App to pass through the MQA unmolested to said DAC, it's possible that said DAC would light up 176.4, 192 or more.  I've seen reports of such.

The differences between hardware and software decoding is a big mystery right now.

I see that companys like MSB have a new USB module to get MQA support so something in the hardware has to be different to the existing USB module hence my thoughts about new streamerboard from Devialet giving us MQA.

Quote:With the release of MQA, MSB has prepared a new module and a simple software update. We invite you to experience this new technology at its best—on our DAC.

[Image: Select-MQA-3-399x350.png]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(06-Jan-2017, 16:53)octaviars Wrote: I see that companys like MSB have a new USB module to get MQA support so something in the hardware has to be different to the existing USB module hence my thoughts about new streamerboard from Devialet giving us MQA.

Quote:With the release of MQA, MSB has prepared a new module and a simple software update. We invite you to experience this new technology at its best—on our DAC.

DSD is delivered to the Devialet in a PCM container affectionately called DOP.  MQA is a PCM stream and at a lower bitrate than DSD64 DOP.

There no reason for new anything.  If the USB key size Dragonfly Red and Black can get MQA decoding by the end of the month the Devialet can as is.

The new streaming board will have UPNP and a bunch of half baked crap similar to the Dialog on the Phantoms.  Thinking it will be more is just setting a person up for disappointment.  I haven't crapped on Devialet in a few days, I now feel better again. Smile
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I have been able to play some of the MQA tracks from Tidal today on my MacBook Air to my 250 Pro with the settings at HD/Master. I did do some one to one comparisons with Led Zep I and Fleetwood Mac Romours, MQA and remasterd versions. Not much in it but first time round on Rumours was not sure that the MQA was the better reproduction. I need more time with it, although the 24/96 versions were all very good. Still running in the 250 Pro, which I received about a month ago.

However, I do have a real problem in getting AIR to work on my Windows PC. Does not seem to want to output Tidal to the 250 at all.
(06-Jan-2017, 17:25)Dr Tone Wrote:
(06-Jan-2017, 16:53)octaviars Wrote: I see that companys like MSB have a new USB module to get MQA support so something in the hardware has to be different to the existing USB module hence my thoughts about new streamerboard from Devialet giving us MQA.

DSD is delivered to the Devialet in a PCM container affectionately called DOP.  MQA is a PCM stream and at a lower bitrate than DSD64 DOP.

There no reason for new anything.  If the USB key size Dragonfly Red and Black can get MQA decoding by the end of the month the Devialet can as is.

The new streaming board will have UPNP and a bunch of half baked crap similar to the Dialog on the Phantoms.  Thinking it will be more is just setting a person up for disappointment.  I haven't crapped on Devialet in a few days, I now feel better again. Smile

You seem pretty shure of everything you speak of.....
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Actually the more I think about it, I wonder if all the DSPing that happens in the Devialet would be detrimental to the final per DAC profiling that's suppose to be part of true MQA decoding. Could this profiling be applied before DSPing is the question. Does SAM throw all the "time adjustment" per DAC portion of MQA for a loop.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

After the first day's listening I'm hearing a very nice all-around improvement in tracks played through ROON, more of everything and definitely more engaging. My D200 shows 24/48 as a max resolution though ROON. Playing direct from Tidal shows up to 24/96 but so far now more despite some albums being recorded at 24/192.
It seems that until ROON offers MQA decoding that's the best we have for now.
The difference with Master through ROON over the original HiFi resolution is significant through my system and I'm very pleased, an improvement akin to a big step up in cables or power conditioning. Playing direct through Tidal is an improvement though nowhere near as much. However, I lose the iPad control - I guess I could just have the MacBbook Air on my side table for 'remote' control?
I'm hoping ROON 1.3 brings MQA software decoding.
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!
(06-Jan-2017, 20:01)LeeC Wrote: I'm hoping ROON 1.3 brings MQA software decoding.

Roon have confirmed that it will come but may not be ready for the launch of 1.3, it may have to come later.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
It will be interesting to see how many of the high-end RoonReady partners will also become MQA certified, and how quickly.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Jan-2017, 22:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: It will be interesting to see how many of the high-end RoonReady partners will also become MQA certified, and how quickly.

If Charles Hanson adds it to the Codex or QX-5 you know it's taken off.   Big Grin

All you have to do is run the desktop ap into the devialet , you HAVE to use the ap as it unfolds MQA .. if you dont all you get is the 24/48 stream which is NOT decoded. If your devialet is reporting 24/48 then you are bypassing the software decoder and not at all getting the full effect

Easy to hear what MQA does if you got to settings in the ap , go to streamer tab and click on the output properties (gear icon) and there you will see a radio box offering "passthrough MQA" , you can click it on or off to hear the effects..not subtle at all , profound improvement
Without the MQA dac , you STILL get most of the goodness .. IF you use the software decoder (desktop ap)
It free to me as a tidal hifi subscriber..a welcome new years present..and 1.3 should be yet another
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room