Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Master Audio has gone Live
When I play through AIR from my Laptop (Wifi) to the D220 Pro (ethernet), it says 96 khz on the Devialet. Is it decoding somehow or is MQA working through AIR?
(05-Jan-2017, 16:48)yabaVR Wrote:
(05-Jan-2017, 16:34)Dr Tone Wrote: Just playing some master audio through the tidal app, it's being decoded and played back as 24/96 pcm on my Moon headphone DAC at work.

Unfortunately I don't have Roon yet and no Tidal but what I like to know is can you do a comparison between a Tidal stream and the same file from your local drive? What are the differences in SQ for you? There have to be some as we can hear diffs with ethernet cables.

gui

Not having the ability to decode MQA, I sent the 24/48 file as is to the Devialet.  In comparison, an album that I know there is only one master, the MQA 24/48 file has an ever so softer/laid back warmer presentation.

Apparently Roon is getting software decoding, not making it in 1.3 though.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...ing-31155/
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(05-Jan-2017, 19:19)Jacke89 Wrote: When I play through AIR from my Laptop (Wifi) to the D220 Pro (ethernet), it says 96 khz on the Devialet. Is it decoding somehow or is MQA working through AIR?

If you are using the Tidal desktop app (mac), there is a new setting for Tidal decoding or passthrough. I run the Tidal app on my macbook with AIR/Eth and I set my stream in the Macbook midi settings to 16/44.1 to match Tidal's native stream for hifi (makes a big difference on my system).

Does your laptop platform (what is it?) stream bit-perfect from the source? If so, it looks like Tidal MQA's might be native 96khz???

Anyone know for sure?
Devialet 220. Audio Note AN-E. Macbook Pro. Mostly Tidal. Dev AIR / Ethernet. Project xpression iii.

Kelowna, British Columbia
Qualitt wise: would it be better to use Roon/Air of stream straight from Tidal with Air?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(05-Jan-2017, 20:51)KraaijCheck Wrote: Qualitt wise: would it be better to use Roon/Air of stream straight from Tidal with Air?

Yes, the best quality would be exclusive mode if Air supports it on your Mac.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Well to me the MQA files most of the ones I tried is 24/44.1 or 48, they do sound really good even without any MQA decoding.
I wonder how much difference in the sound it will make that Roon in the future does the decoding instead of the Devialet? Perhaps a small difference that we can ignore that Devialet seems to not see what is happening around them with Roon, MQA and so on.....

This is 12 months old from Darko but lots of info regarding MQA 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...-everyone/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(05-Jan-2017, 21:03)Dr Tone Wrote:
(05-Jan-2017, 20:51)KraaijCheck Wrote: Quality wise: would it be better to use Roon/Air of stream straight from Tidal with Air?

Exclusive mode in Tidal or Roon?

Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(05-Jan-2017, 21:44)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(05-Jan-2017, 21:03)Dr Tone Wrote:
(05-Jan-2017, 20:51)KraaijCheck Wrote: Quality wise: would it be better to use Roon/Air of stream straight from Tidal with Air?

Exclusive mode in Tidal or Roon?

Well both actually.  I now see that wasn't your question so: The Tidal app will decode MQA it would be the best quality until Roon can do it.

Ok thanks!

Tried both with Roon and AIR playing 24/48 and Tidal doing the MQA decoding of the file, I tend to think it sounds a little bit better with the Tidal desktop app and AIR.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree