Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal high resolution streaming
Wondering when we will be able to stream MQA via Spark? 
http://tidal.com/no/masters
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
They have only just resolved flac so I wouldn't hold your breath.
Patience is a virtue  Tongue
My Phantom Voyage
I guess you can use AirPlay if you have it? Or does that limit the resolution in some way?
(05-Jan-2017, 23:11)Jamington2004 Wrote: I guess you can use AirPlay if you have it? Or does that limit the resolution in some way?

I believe Airplay limits the resolution to 16/44.
My Phantom Voyage
Indeed "Only so-called “Hi-Res” Audio formats used by pros and audiophiles with higher resolution (e.g. 24 Bit / 192kHz) will be down-sampled to 16 Bit / 44.1kHz."

Tidal MQA apparently goes to "typically 96 kHz/24 bit"

Mind you I did the Tidal "hifi test" and couldn't tell the difference so probably it's all just numbers to me. I imagine you can get amazing recordings that sound great even at lower resolutions and shit hi res recordings that always sound shit!
I've had a kind of weird email conversation with Devialet Support:
"Hi.
Do you plan to support Tidal MQA for Phantom or Dialog? If so, when?
Best regards"

"Thanks for your message.

I will get back to you as soon as I know if this format is playable by the Devialet devices.

Sincerely yours"

Customer service should know that MQA isn't supported. Hopefully I'll get a better answer when support gets back to me.
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Jan-2017, 20:03)ragwo Wrote: I've had a kind of weird email conversation with Devialet Support:
"Hi.
Do you plan to support Tidal MQA for Phantom or Dialog? If so, when?
Best regards"

"Thanks for your message.

I will get back to you as soon as I know if this format is playable by the Devialet devices.

Sincerely yours"

Customer service should know that MQA isn't supported. Hopefully I'll get a better answer when support gets back to me.

By chance I also asked in the chat-tool on the DEVIALET homepage today about MQA support for Experts or Phantoms and Julien replied that it will be supported in the future.

Cheers,
Krisp
(07-Jan-2017, 21:53)Krisp Wrote: By chance I also asked in the chat-tool on the DEVIALET homepage today about MQA support for Experts or Phantoms and Julien replied that it will be supported in the future.

Cheers,
Krisp

That's very 'Devialet'. Better to be coming at a non-specific point in the future than not knowing what it is though - a big step up.

I guess first they'll have to work out with MQA about how all the Devialet DSP, SAM etc slot in to the MQA pipeline. Doesn't sound like approval/certification (or whatever it is) is too hard with 'traditional' DACs as Audioquest are apparently getting MQA on the Dragonfly Red and Black.

The question for me is more how room correction, volume levelling, and other DSP at the player end fit in. From what I remember, all of that stuff precludes MQA.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<