Poll: How do you find the sound quality of Tidal MQA?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I love it! It's a ten out of ten
20.59%
7 20.59%
It is better than standard but it's not a ten out of ten yet
8.82%
3 8.82%
It is better than standard but you really need to do an ABX test to hear the difference
11.76%
4 11.76%
It is better but I believe it would be even better if Devialet would implement MQA in their DAC
41.18%
14 41.18%
I can't hear any difference between standard and MQA
17.65%
6 17.65%
MQA is worse than standard
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you find the sound quality of Tidal MQA?
Well, we never really thought it would happen but MQA is here. How do you find the sound?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Playing now some Phil Collins Masters and first impression is really good, better than standard, but I need more testing. Unfortunately the Tidal/ AIR setup on my MacBook is not as stable then for example Audirvana... experiencing some drops in the signal, next to this the Tidal app is using significant energy and system resources. I don't know if it is the MQA decoding or a badly designed app (or my laptop).

Will do the poll later when I have done some A/B testings...
(07-Jan-2017, 09:58)Xander Wrote: Playing now some Phil Collins Masters and first impression is really good, better than standard, but I need more testing. Unfortunately the Tidal/ AIR setup on my MacBook is not as stable then for example Audirvana... experiencing some drops in the signal, next to this the Tidal app is using significant energy and system resources. I don't know if it is the MQA decoding or a badly designed app (or my laptop).

Will do the poll later when I have done some A/B testings...

I just checked on my MacBook Pro; Tidal helper (twice) and Tidal itself take up about 50% of the CPU usage and 35% of it's energy usage. so it's fair to say Tidal needs a decent computer.

Listening to Tourist by St. Germain straight from my Mac to my El Cheapo in ears. It sounds quite alright. Can't wait to try it at home.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I did not use Tidal since last July. But at time, i thought Tidal is not a native OSX app. Just web app wrapped in GUI imitating application. Those kinds usually consume CPU resources like crazy (most likely java script code of the webapp).
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
It's fabulous. Will be even better when MQA decoding is added. Best thing to happen to listening to recorded music since TIDAL.

(I voted "I love it! It's a ten out of ten" but I also think it will be even better with MQA. Exciting times)
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Love

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I guess MQA decoding will be feature of Pro line.
What worriers me is the MQA is not open source technology and it could easily be tool to enforce DRM tech as discussed on http://www.computeraudiophile.com recently.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
I have a Meridian Explorer2 connected via USB/ Roon RAAT on a Rasberry Pi and based on admittedly just a few listenings, I think Tidal MQA  played via Roon ( can be hit and miss to find the tracks in Roon) sounds better than MQA tracks decoded by the OS X Tidal app. This surprised me somewhat as the Explorer2 outputs analogue on a 3.5 mm jack which must be re-digitised on my D440. Both sound decernably better than the same track played undecoded via Roon and Ethernet AIR. The music sounds more "organic" and less lively,  but more "real" - which as others and I have noted, seems the defining characteristic of MQA. Tomorrow I will listen more to compare Tidal app decoded MQA and Explorer2 MQA to see if I can better pin down the differences.
iTunes & TIDAL HiFi --> ROON on iMac --> ROON RAAT over Ethernet --> D440 Pro-->  ProAc  D40R floorstanding speakers (SAM)
Also:  Linn LP12/Ittok turntable Cables: Nordost Shiva power, Nordost Flatline2 speaker cable

Dublin,  Ireland
This is one poll that I am not able to vote in. (I'm sure I'm not alone with this, which may partly explain the low number of responses so far) I don't have any use for tidal at the moment, and as we al know, the Devialet cannot properly 'unfold' MQA files, at least not yet. Having said that I am more than happy to sit on the side lines and see how MQA develops. If I am honest, I have been deeply cynical about MQA for a number of reasons but I am open minded and interested in the number of posts both here and on other forums reporting positive sound quality benefits. As with anything, hearing is believing, but unfortunately this might be a while in my case. (or in Devialet parlence 'soon') In the meantime, keep the sound quality observations coming in guys, interesting stuff!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(08-Jan-2017, 15:00)Confused Wrote: This is one poll that I am not able to vote in. (I'm sure I'm not alone with this, which may partly explain the low number of responses so far)  I don't have any use for tidal at the moment, and as we al know, the Devialet cannot properly 'unfold' MQA files, at least not yet.  Having said that I am more than happy to sit on the side lines and see how MQA develops.  If I am honest, I have been deeply cynical about MQA for a number of reasons but I am open minded and interested in the number of posts both here and on other forums reporting positive sound quality benefits.  As with anything, hearing is believing, but unfortunately this might be a while in my case.  (or in Devialet parlence 'soon')  In the meantime, keep the sound quality observations coming in guys, interesting stuff!

Here am I thinking the responses are low because it's holiday season and everyone is out skiing (or waterskiing in the Southern Hemisphere)

For those who are sitting on the side line but are curious there's the free trial. Just try it once! You know you want it! It's not as addictive as they say it is...

Signed,

The Pusher  Wink
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.