Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA
(18-Jan-2017, 15:09)IOAaronG Wrote: Have you listened to the 2L recordings -- for example the Mozart/Grieg? The sound quality is superb on my system. There's also some more recent stuff -- Perlman playing Dvorak, some more recent Karajan, etc.

(18-Jan-2017, 04:27)Will Wrote:
(17-Jan-2017, 07:59)NickB Wrote: Not sure this is anything to do with Tidal's choice maybe more a problem with Warner music's choice.

You may be correct NickB - but very unfortunate that these albums are being used to promote the SQ of MQA - when their affect is the opposite. I am now listening to a digitally restored album of Furtwangler playing R Strauss dating from 1950 - which sounds better than some of the MQA files on Tidal.  (A plug here for the restoration work of Pristine Classical, which is the source of the album I am listening to.)

Thanks for the direction to other albums - as any classical music fan who uses Tidal knows, Tidal is not set up for classical music, and searching can be hit and miss.  The Perlman is listenable but, SQ wise, I did not find it remarkable - again I suspect that the original was not fabulous either - EMI was not the greatest producer of records with respect to SQ.  A reissued Reiner disc from 1956 (Living Stereo), that I listened to immediately afterwards, sounded better.  Again, my comments are not in any way meant to deprecate MQA - I am sure it is fabulous - but it would be great to get some modern classical records that are recognised for both SQ and artistic merit to really do some comparative listening.  Our rock and pop colleagues seem to have a better up to date selection.  We live in hope.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question to Devialet regarding Roon and MQA - by Will - 19-Jan-2017, 12:44