Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For international, (all not in EU) upgrade shipments
Hi all, Happy New Year!!

I was contacted by UPS here in Canada that my 250 Pro had landed and was in Customs. 

First, elated that I would soon have my baby back, I was told by UPS they would handle the duties and taxes to clear and I would owe upon receipt. I am wondering if others were charged a percentage of the upgrade fee for Canada Goods and Services tax, (GST) and/or dutiies on the upgrade.

I see on the invoice that came with the return, that 3,490 Euro's was the upgrade price which was made up of 2,908.33 for the upgrade and 581.67 for France 20% VAT tax, (strange that they would pay that since it is an international shipment).

Thanks in advance.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Mine left and came back to Kelowna, BC. No additional charges over upgrade charge paid directly to Devialet.

Delays coming and going are another story Sad
Devialet 220. Audio Note AN-E. Macbook Pro. Mostly Tidal. Dev AIR / Ethernet. Project xpression iii.

Kelowna, British Columbia
I've seen the bill come in the mail at a later date. Not sure when you did yours @pdg540?

@boba2013, you don't happen to have a customs broker in place? I've seen cases where it should have been cleared by the express shipping method but having a customs broker caused additional charges.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

You may want to change the topic title from 'all not in France' to 'all not in EU'. Countries that are part of the EU don't charge import duties or taxes. In this case the only tax we (EU consumers) pay is the VAT of the country of origin (of the goods we buy) or our own country. Of course there's exceptions like for cars etc. but these don't apply here.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(09-Jan-2017, 23:01)pdg540 Wrote: Mine left and came back to Kelowna, BC. No additional charges over upgrade charge paid directly to Devialet.

Delays coming and going are another story Sad

Hi pdg540

My twin is experiencing the same delay's going. His 200 left 3 weeks prior to mine. He lives in Vernon so your next door neighbor! Has not idea yet on when to expect return. Seems miss-communications between dealers and distributor here in Canada.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
(09-Jan-2017, 23:21)Antoine Wrote: You may want to change the topic title from 'all not in France' to 'all not in EU'. Countries that are part of the EU don't charge import duties or taxes. In this case the only tax we (EU consumers) pay is the VAT of the country of origin (of the goods we buy) or our own country. Of course there's exceptions like for cars etc. but these don't apply here.

Sorry Antoine. Correction made!!
(09-Jan-2017, 22:30)boba2013 Wrote: First, elated that I would soon have my baby back, I was told by UPS they would handle the duties and taxes to clear and I would owe upon receipt. I am wondering if others were charged a percentage of the upgrade fee for Canada Goods and Services tax, (GST) and/or dutiies on the upgrade.
Bob
Bob

I had my D400 upgraded to 440PRO and did not pay any import duty and taxes, they where all paid by Devialet.

Brian
Ottawa, Canada.

Here is a copy of a Email from Devialet.

[Image: profile_image_1614600461_275360.png]

EvaOctober 24, 2016 10:20

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delayed response, 

As per Deivalet, customers will pay VAT on the website and then Devialet Inc or Devialet SA pays the D&T while crossing the borders. 

I hope this answers your questions, 

Best Regards,
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Rough dates here:

Nov 10 - picked up by UPS. Provided 3 copies of commercial invoice to driver as instructed
Nov 15 - checked tracking to find box is sitting in Vancouver awaiting clearance
Nov 15 - 22 - 5 phone calls and 2 different emails to UPS providing the commercial invoices for the 2nd and 3rd times
Nov 24 - confirmation of delivery to Devialet
Dec 5 - email notification of shipment from Devialet
Dec 8 - check tracking to find box sitting in Vancouver awaiting clearance. Phone call to UPS. Confrimed I did not have broker and they should broker it.
Dec 12 - check tracking. package sitting in Vancouver awaiting clearance.
Dec 12 -14 several phone calls from them asking about brokerage and to them asking what the hell's going on
Dec 16 - Package delivered to it's rightful owner!

Signed for package. No indication of additional brokerage charges, duties or taxes to date.
Devialet 220. Audio Note AN-E. Macbook Pro. Mostly Tidal. Dev AIR / Ethernet. Project xpression iii.

pdg540,

I think you had a 'normal' upgrade. Devialet pays the taxes and duties, and UPS does the customs clearing. That was my experience and I think it was the same for most Canadian owners. Your total turnaround, door-back-to-door time is longer than mine was, but the delays seem to be in the customs clearing process; it happens for the amp going in both directions, and that is not something Devialet or UPS really have a lot of control over. For those of us checking on the shipment status every few hours, a delay of a day seems interminable. But man oh man, the D220Pro is astounding and very much worth the cost and the wait.

Kelowna? Never heard of it... all of 50 km from Vernon, where I spent a good portion of my younger days. Smile.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Damon:

Haha. It was painful to recount the whole ordeal. It wasn't customs or Devialet at all. It was UPS bungling entirely, in and out. But once I was able to get them to pull my package off the UPS infinite carousels of stupidity, things happened quite quickly. What really spiked my blood pressure me was not the absence of the amp, but explaining shit over and over and trying to get a clear explanation of what they wanted and what was happening. It wore on me pretty good. lol. Anyway, it was what it was and it's over and I fully agree, the 120 to 220 move was a damn good one.

You had posted your detailed thoughts on the 120 to 220 upgrade experience a little before mine arrived back and I saw it but didn't read it right then because I wanted to wait and compare my experience with yours. I ran mine 20 hrs a day and listened casually for pretty much a week or more, then jumped in for a few good listening sessions. I gotta say, you covered it to a tee. I mean..... to a tee. Especially striking to me was your commentary on hearing the roundness of a note (I don't recall the exact wording right now). It was something that I also really noticed, especially on some piano tracks....... so much more information audible between the strike of the key and the eventual decay.... I think your write up should be acknowledged as the definitive 120 to 220 upgrade guide Smile

Well Kelowna is still Kelowna except a lot bigger as you probably know. I grew up in Langley and moved to Kelowna because I was sick of traffic and crowds. Well, wouldn't you know it, 17 years later I'm thinking of moving back to Langley to escape traffic and crowds. Haha.

On a side note, I'm thinking on speakers. The Hawks are daaaamn good in my room but curiosity is doing what curiosity does. I have been a little fascinated with audio note since the audio show so I've been looking at AN-j's or e's. but I've seen some of the Lawrence items moving through Canuck Audio and I've been intrigued. Maybe you could share some of your speaker experiences over PM?

Paul