Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable binding posts
Mark,

The whole low mass, low thickness in cables is based on electromagnetic theory. Please read Malcolm Hawksford's seminal article on the theory applied to audio cables. It has been the basis for the development of cables of brands like OmegaMikro, Audioquest, Nordost and many others that I don't know:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1095cable/

(You wanted science - here's science ;-))

Re-reading the message, it reads extremely patronizing. It wasn't made with that intention. I also want sometimes to cut through the typical snake oil verbose descriptions, where you take knowledge as religion - you just have your ears as judge and no understanding of what's happening. With this article and some science background you can really understand what's going on.

By the way, you can jump to the second page and find technical descriptions of the issues (but no more math); and to the last page to find the conclusions.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

Thanks, that's very helpful. I was familiar with the stuff about Litz construction, which Jim Lesurf has written about.

The low mass issue, as discussed by Hawksford, seems to relate to cables. I wonder whether something the length of a connector (speaker terminal) could have any real effect.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
It could have a real effect and indeed it does and it's very easy for you to try for yourself if you're curious.
Well, you've persuaded me that it's worth a try. Now I just need to overcome my own inertia ...

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
Give it a go Matt. You sound like a sensible chap so i'd be interested in what you think if you do.

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(04-Jun-2014, 17:58)james n Wrote: Give it a go Matt. You sound like a sensible chap so i'd be interested in what you think if you do.

James

Well, thank you, sir! Smile

London
Curious if Matt, or any other recent converts can report back on any audible improvements from removing the binding post barrels.

I've got the impression the oem posts are mid-range quality and probably high brass content, not a WBT or Furutech level of quality.

To possibly take things up a level, I have been seriously considering doing a wholesale binding post swap out with a somewhat new Furutech replacement binding post, the FT-865.  I'm a Furutech fan and really like what I read in their construction notes including ultra low mass with a one piece wire wound conductor of their Alpha occ copper.  

After looking at a close up interior photo of the Devialet binding posts to circuit board connection, it appears the posts could be a relatively easy to unplug and re-plug in of the new parts.  I'm going to open things up the next weekend, or two and investigate further before ordering.

http://www.furutech.com/2014/03/26/8772/

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.

I'd be hugely interested in what you find out. I too am a bit underwhelmed with the OEM posts but always have 3-4 spare sets of high-end WBT NexGen pure silver on hand. I'm still struggling with a minor warranty issue but once I'm convinced its taken care of I'm off to the races!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Yes, you got it. I suspect those should slide right in to the receiver/female bracket on the circuit board (adjusting nuts, etc) Shouldn't cause any warranty issues as they don't appear to be soldered in (but I haven't opened up mine yet to confirm the connection).

Fwiw, I was also considering put in a Furutech IEC input as well as long as I have it opened up.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
    Ken, I'm afraid I'm going to jump out ahead of you on this project. I had an appointment cancel which leaves me free & clear time-wise until Monday morning. My 200 has already been separated from its binding posts and whoever it was that guessed solid brass OEM binding posts was totally correct. I ground a 'V' deeply into one of the spade contacts and its 100% gold-plated brass. Very similar to what I can purchase from Parts Express as low as $16 for a complete set of 4. Shame on Devialet, shame, shame! Tho I will give them kudos on the V-E-R-Y clever binding post mounting technique. VERY cool!! I'm taking lots of high-res pics of this conversion to help followers along and will post them soon as I can get some help figuring out how to get them in a post. My WBT NextGens will work fine tho I have to trim 6mm off the quick-connect male spade. I'm unsure about your F'techs as the socket, because of length and the Dev is a dual-point center contact rather than side contact like a typical Quick Connect female terminal. This will be easier to explain/understand once I can start uploading pics. I can see now that in the future if need be I can go back to stock/OEM binding post setup within an hour which will avoid having to answer any warranty-related questions from uncle Dev.

I also suspect the F'tech IEC is going to be a no-go so I wouldn't spring for one just yet. The pin-out is a totally different configuration in the Dev than the F'tech. Additionally the front-mount bezel surrounds as F'tech is a screw-mount and Devialet uses an internal spring clip. There's no provision for the clip on the F'tech housing which means drilling holes and screw-mounting into the back panel of the Devialet. Probably a deal-breaker.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!