Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable binding posts
Looks awesome, Manoet! I will look for your conversion log and photos. I will reconsider using those WBT NexGen posts if all goes well with you. I wonder if the WBT silver tongue/tab length can be worked around by bending it in a Z / spring fashion to overcome that 6mm extra length? (rather than just physically cutting and shortening them)

I originally started down this path after experiencing difficulty getting the spades on my AudioQuest CastleRock speaker cables to connect well with the D200 posts. I bought the AQ 1000 series silver bananas to swap out for the spades and use in the (barrels removed) D200 center posts. After seeing the latent potential of the OEM parts, this looks like the potential for a great sonic upgrade. In an ideal world, I wonder if I could get the tips of my new bananas terminations through the chassis binding post holes and reach the circuit board post mounting tabs and eliminate the whole "connector" altogether?

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
    Since I don't seem to be able to post a 2nd pic in the above post. I'm going to see if a 2nd post allows it. If it comes thru this one will be the ingenious provision Devialet uses for allowing non-OEM speaker binding posts to be upgraded if desired. Bear in mind I'm flying blind size-wise on these pics as I'm hopelessly lost in finding any sense in the sizes these come thru as.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
    Last pic till I'm better at this as it makes me crazy! If this one makes it its the one taken just before buttoning the Dev back up and taking it for a test drive. The new WBT pure silver binding posts are what I use on everything in-house. Most importantly in this case it's also the binding posts on the speakers that the 200 is hooked up to. Of equal importance all my speaker cables are also solid core silver with 3% pure gold content. And all of my internal speaker wire from inside binding posts to crossovers to drivers/tweeters are also solid core silver. Now with the 200 I'm 100% pure silver from inside Dev binding posts all the way to XO's then drivers & beryllium tweets beyond that. As close as I can get to a single wire from Devialet-to-cones/tweets. Yes, even my custom crossover circuit boards are pure silver deposition electrical paths! True story!

Overall about 4 hours spent tho I could put it back to OEM in under an hour and back to here again 45 minutes after that. Most tedious part was modifying the WBT's slightly to make them plug right into the Devialet's internal speaker quick-connects. Tho I will tell you fastening the nuts that hold the binding posts in place from behind is a fiddly/fidgety affair due to a very confined area that doesn't afford a lot of finger/wrench wriggle-room. A 2nd chilled chard helps immensely!

But I've no doubt or concerns about the treat in store for me... not my first rodeo with these by a L-O-N-G shot!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
manoet im surprised that you went with something other than the furutech ones! question though - where did you get this silver cable to do the re-wiring?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
All Crystal Cables wiring is a 5n silver somehow homogenized with a 3% pure gold and extruded in a molten state then shielded with Kapton, which is used in Stealth fighters/bombers and the new international fighter. (You you can buy it but due to national security reasons can't find out what's in it), then a PEEK layer, then pure silver braided mesh with a PTFE outer cover. All CC is essentially identical. What sets the CC price is how thick they make the solid core diameter. My silver crossover wiring is an OCC (Ohno continuous cast) product from my friend Chris VenHaus at VH Audio... an exceedingly high grade silver. I knew when building my speakers I wanted everything to be built with an "if we're gonna be a dog, why choose Chihuahua philosophy." ;-)

I don't think F'tech offers a binding post that's going to be a good fit for the Devialet and I actually I use very little F'tech wiring these days, preferring the OCC products in both silver and copper. Love those F'Tech CF connections tho!! You oughta see my 10 GTX-D outlet 100% passive power conditioner... scratch that, you oughtta hear it!!! Easily the single best-sounding widget I've ever personally designed and built from scratch and by H-U-G-E margins!
Having replaced similar OEM speaker binding posts with WBTs on TacT amps, I doubt this is going to make much of
an improvement.

Replacing the filtered PEM with a non-filtered PEM made a much bigger improvement.

While you have the amp open, I'd suggest try putting some damping material on the power supply caps.
I'll just say you might be quite surprised at what I'm hearing now. And these prefer a 72-96 hour break-in before blossoming. I owned 2 TacT amps over 15 years ago and totally agree with your take on that amp. But then we didn't have binding posts of this quality back then either! I did investigate the PEM while inside for Kenreau who was considering a filtered F'tech IEC and also looked around to consider options I might later want to dabble in or execute. Any/all of them at first glance would appear to be warranty killers. I personally have zero use for filtered IEC's and if warranty was of no concern I'd put a F'tech FI-33R 20A IEC in there so fast heads would spin!! There's no doubt I'll do something that'll kill the warranty before it expires... ALWAYS do!! But it might be a little premature to jump out and kill it at 2 months of age! If history's any indication, prolly sooner rather than later tho.
i have started replacing my interconnects with silver as well.

ordered an audioquest 100% silver usb cable, lan cable. re-did my devialet interconnect with furutech 100% silver coax also same to the subs.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
As I'm sure you already know there can be too much silver where things get a little bright. That's why I tone it down with a bit of Rhodium scattered about. Even my existing speaker cables do use Rhodium CF series bananas at each end with the previously mentioned WBT's. Additionally the 3% gold content in the CC's goes a long way preventing brightness. In one case a year or so back on a previous piece of equipment I had to throw in one lowly Gold plated FI-50 15A IEC as it got sickenlngly sweet/bright. Warmed it right up! YMMV and there's lots of work-arounds if it goes a little too far. Amazingly you can also fine-tune things at the component level with power cords using rhodium/gold AC plugs and IEC's which I find much more predictable/repeatable than jumping on the high-end cable-go-round. Lots of ways to skin these cats! And power cords seem more closely related to "an ounce of prevention" whereas interconnects more closely address the "pound of cure."
(17-Jul-2015, 22:59)kenreau Wrote: Looks awesome, Manoet!  I will look for your conversion log and photos.  I will reconsider using those WBT NexGen posts if all goes well with you.  I wonder if the WBT silver tongue/tab length can be worked around by bending it in a Z / spring fashion to overcome that 6mm extra length?  (rather than just physically cutting and shortening them)

I originally started down this path after experiencing difficulty getting the spades on my AudioQuest CastleRock speaker cables to connect well with the D200 posts.  I bought the AQ 1000 series silver bananas to swap out for the spades and use in the (barrels removed) D200 center posts.  After seeing the latent potential of the OEM parts, this looks like the potential for a great sonic upgrade.  In an ideal world, I wonder if I could get the tips of my new bananas terminations through the chassis binding post holes and reach the circuit board post mounting tabs and eliminate the whole "connector" altogether?

Thanks
Kenreau

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post till just now. I suspect you could never bend the silver that tightly without crazing/fatiguing the silver, ie; creating microscopic fracturing parallel to the bend and compromising the signal. Additionally it needs a direct shot into the quick-connect receiver in the Devialet as the receiver connection is perfectly parallel and to and aligned with the binding post mounting bore. I'd suggest going in there and looking around as most anything is possible but hard for me to know your capabilities, resourcefulness and/or warranty concerns, if any. If anything I can help with while you're in there, please feel free to ask.