Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does direct Ethernet connection improve sound over wireless for you?
(15-Jan-2017, 14:31)suur13 Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 11:29)Johnnydev Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 11:20)timhbf Wrote: Yes I checked the settings in sparks on every test, makes sure it's on correct connection status. I didn't make factory reset between tests as I don't think it will help

Strange that it became worse by you.

I can report the same - sound became worse when using Ethetnet cable. Can not even describe how, but something was wrong and starnge, I don't know, like timing issue ? Sound was fuzzy or smth.
And yes, they were controlled by cable as my router gave them IP address (via PLC/WiFi Dialog handles that).

Try to give them then the excactly factory reset.
By me the positive change is huge with ethernetcables
I just got mine set up on Ethernet today - as I have no more box swapping and tinkering to do since I got my phantoms, and know there is nothing more to squeeze out of my turntable! So I need something to waste my time and money on right? Wink

My initial reactions are that it sounded a bit smoother and also louder at low volumes - so better for me. And also it seemed sharper and more seperation all round. And the imaging seemed better as I often had issues feeling the sound was louder on one channel and I had to shuffle around the sofa - but now the sweet spot seems much wider and voices don't appear to come from one side or the other (unless meant to Smile)

But I am also acutely aware that I want them to sound better Smile - so best I wait a few weeks for all situations and moods and phases of the moon etc, before deciding if one day they sound any better because of Ethernet set up, as opposed to all the other factors that make it sound better or worse on a given session!

BUT it does appear my optical to dialogue is now faultless - I watched a 2 hour film with not 1 crackle or cut out Smile

Will spend more time listening to some vinyl too and report back.
(15-Jan-2017, 18:01)Jamington2004 Wrote: I just got mine set up on Ethernet today - as I have no more box swapping and tinkering to do since I got my phantoms, and know there is nothing more to squeeze out of my turntable! So I need something to waste my time and money on right? Wink

My initial reactions are that it sounded a bit smoother and also louder at low volumes - so better for me. And also it seemed sharper and more seperation all round. And the imaging seemed better as I often had issues feeling the sound was louder on one channel and I had to shuffle around the sofa  - but now the sweet spot seems much wider and voices don't appear to come from one side or the other (unless meant to Smile)

But I am also acutely aware that I want them to sound better Smile - so best I wait a few weeks for all situations and moods and phases of the moon etc,  before deciding if one day they sound any better because of Ethernet set up, as opposed to all the other factors that make it sound better or worse on a given session!

BUT it does appear my optical to dialogue is now faultless - I watched a 2 hour film with not 1 crackle or cut out Smile

Will spend more time listening to some vinyl too and report back.
Hi jamington2004

What kind of ethernet do you use?

And i have never dropouts or crackle
Cat 6 patch cable from Screwfix - £27 for 2 * 10m cables Smile

I have no interest in a discussion on the merits of expensive cables - I didn't believe it when I was analogue, and less so now I am digital Smile These seems to do the trick and the connectors are nice and solid

Good so far....
These all are digital connectors, there is no difference between them, in terms of perceived quality *. This is why if you want to take information from one place to another, provided you have enough bandwidth, digital wins over analog, every time.
Software protocols running on top of networking hardware ensure error-correction, ordering of packets, low latency.

* Assuming there are no shenanigans happening in the source's operating system, and that phantom processes every input the same way.
(15-Jan-2017, 21:47)foFox Wrote: These all are digital connectors, there is no difference between them, in terms of perceived quality *. This is why if you want to take information from one place to another, provided you have enough bandwidth, digital wins over analog, every time.
Software protocols running on top of networking hardware ensure error-correction, ordering of packets, low latency.

* Assuming there are no shenanigans happening in the source's operating system, and that phantom processes every input the same way.

And the Phantoms do process all inputs in the same way. Why wouldn't they?

I believe that people are implementing the PL ACE BO protocol that has been around for as long an mankind.
I'm currently using cat6 ftp cables and I don't really notice any difference to using plc (which was what spark was reporting). The quality of the wifi, plc or ethernet cables are what give the most effect in terms of sq. As it is I have short way for both plc and wifi, but I wanted to try due to other issues.

I was going to set them up on a separate router (my old dlink dir-855). However, it crashed and started to reboot during setup while the dialog was connected. It was up for around 14 seconds then it rebooted again and again. No idea as to why, it's not the newest piece of hardware but still shuffles 1GB without problem on the lan side.

Going with my DIR-868L and have no issues. Apart from my whole network going through it that is. Will change this when finished with renovations.

As a side note:
Ethernet cables differs in regards to what bw your get out of them. For my incoming internet I have to use cat 6 s/ftp as it doesn't sync to the right speed with just ftp (ie. only syncs to 100Mb instead of 1Gb). Probably have some interference along the wall where the cables goes. So, for those who get worse sound with ethernet cables, check what they sync to, it might be that you only get 100Mb which would of course give you worse sq due to low speed.
Ethernet vs. PLC vs. Optical via Airport Express sound no different to me. However, Bluetooth does not sound as full, in my opinion. I have 2 Silvers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m sure that the connection has influence to the Sound:
@Vivialet: the D1000Pro may sound better via wired LAN because the Wi-Fi board was switched of and there is less distortion introduced to the audio boards inside the D1000.
I found the same behavior on my D440Pro.
@Jhonnydev & timhbf: If the phantoms automatically switch of their Wi-Fi, once connected via cable, this may cause the same effect and may lead to less distortion inside the phantoms
BUT if the ground level of the Router differs from the Phantoms and the Lan ports are not properly isolated there are some current introduced between the units via LAN. The amount of current may even differ by the phase the phantoms and /or the router are connected to the mains. And these compensating currents between the units may have an even bigger but worse effect to the sound then the benefits of the switched of Wi-Fi- connection.

Cheers
Herman
Onkyo Integra DV-SP1000 / Slim Devices Transporter -> D440pro -> Elac FS607 X-Jet
Gold Phantoms (Stereo)

G E R M A N Y

(17-Jan-2017, 15:25)Herman Wrote: I’m sure that the connection has influence to the Sound:
@Vivialet: the D1000Pro may sound better via wired LAN because the Wi-Fi board was switched of and there is less distortion introduced to the audio boards inside the D1000.
I found the same behavior on my D440Pro.
@Jhonnydev & timhbf: If the phantoms automatically switch of their Wi-Fi, once connected via cable, this may cause the same effect and may lead to less distortion inside the phantoms
BUT if the ground level of the Router differs from the Phantoms and the Lan ports are not properly isolated there are some current introduced between the units via LAN. The amount of current may even differ by the phase the phantoms and /or the router are connected to the mains. And these compensating currents between the units may have an even bigger but worse effect to the sound then the benefits of the switched of Wi-Fi- connection.

Cheers
Herman

Grounding could be the reason for my case, my cat 5e cables don't have ground while cat 7 have it. So what's the ideal connection? Let all the ground float or all grounded to the same potential earth?