Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Headphones
Good day to all.

I'm new to this forum.

Proud owner of a D200 with B&W 805D, I now have added to my collection the wonderful Focal Utopia headphones.

Before shopping for a headphone amp, I would like to try what the Devialet would offer, by simply plugging the headphone in the Devialet (I've read that it's possible via the pre-out, using some kind of adapter from rca to stereo jack).

My questions are :

Can someone recommend a hi quality adapter for this ?

And, since I'm using also a subwoofer, currently plugged in the pre-out , is there another way to plug headphones, or do I need to constantly unplug the subwoofer each time I want to use the headphones?

Finally : would somebody recommend a good headphone amp, if it's a better solution.

Thank you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
(19-Jan-2017, 22:51)JMZeitouni Wrote: Good day to all.

I'm new to this forum.

Proud owner of a D200 with B&W 805D, I now have added to my collection the wonderful Focal Utopia headphones.

Before shopping for a headphone amp, I would like to try what the Devialet would offer, by simply plugging the headphone in the Devialet (I've read that it's possible via the pre-out, using some kind of adapter from rca to stereo jack).

My questions are :

Can someone recommend a hi quality adapter for this ?

And, since I'm using also a subwoofer, currently plugged in the pre-out , is there another way to plug headphones, or do I need to constantly unplug the subwoofer each time I want to use the headphones?

Finally : would somebody recommend a good headphone amp, if it's a better solution.

Thank you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi, And welcome to Devialet Chat!
Do you have a spare pair of inputs that you can configure as outputs? If not, your choices are limited. You could unplug your Sub. which is very inconvenient, as you'd need a different configuration set up on another SD card. The only other option, I think, is to use the USB as an output into a suitable headphone amp.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
It is not possible to use USB as output to DAC. But it is possible to configure 1 of outputs to Digital SPDIF. Then connect the output to digital coax input on your DAC. I tried that with Chord Mojo and it worked. For such good Utopias I would suggest something much better than Mojo, though.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
I think for a headphone that good you would benefit from a dedicated headphone amp for sure.
You should visit the Head -Fi forum as there will no doubt be a thread on the Utopia headphone and there will more than likely be amp recommendations. As it is more geared towards headphones I used this for my research before purchasing my Auralic Taurus amp.
The Utopias are a gorgeous looking headphone, and they are supposed to sound incredible.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(20-Jan-2017, 18:26)maxijazz Wrote: It is not possible to use USB as output to DAC. But it is possible to configure 1 of outputs to Digital SPDIF. Then connect the output to digital coax input on your DAC. I tried that with Chord Mojo and it worked. For such good Utopias I would suggest something much better than Mojo, though.

Thanks for clarifying that. As you can use the USB output into a computer for vinyl ripping, I thought it might be possible, with a suitable adapter, to use the output to drive a headphone amp.

@JMZeitouni: can you give us a screen shot of your Configurator setup so that we can see which inputs you are using and which are free?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks to all.

For some reason I was never notified of replies to this thread.

I’m now enjoying the utopias with a dedicated headphone setup. It’s a charm each time.