Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced-To-Max-Mod
Got the idea today as I posted in the streaming thread about the future streaming board.
As I'm convinced that the upcoming streaming board will not bring any positive impact on SQ (only comfort benefits if any) because it will suck more energy and thus produce more peaks of current and more switches/sec that induce eddy currents back into the power circuits of the Devialet...I was thinking what sources I don't use and thus currently don't need the modules in my D.

I compared my USB-Input to AIR 3 beta (best sounding Win-AIR until now) and found my USB better by a great margin. So I have no need for the WiFi-Board and I don't own a turntable so no need for the Phono-Board either. This resulted in one of the quickest mods I ever made...5min for opening the D and unplugging the 2 boards and closing the D again.

Wow...many will call it self fulfilling prophecy but as I do mods all the time almost every week I can rely on my practical knowledge and I trust my ears  Big Grin

How does it sound w/o the 2 boards? Well, it sounds a lot more mature/settled/peacefull/quiet/ kind of MacIntosh heavy duty stuff.
Very interesting (at least for me) how different the quality of mods come thru, get to your attention, give you a feeling.
It really gives me more serenity while listening...takes away a kind of youthful unrestness...though details/dynamics etc. are better but everything originating more out of a calm void...if this makes any sense to someone.

Best is...you've nothing to loose. You can plug it back in any time...no harm. Just try it.

gui

edit: I've yet to try if Ethernet still works as Antoine mentioned that Ethernet is processing through the WiFi-Board. I'm not sure about that. Will try tomorrow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Are these modules not powered down when you disable them in the configurator ?

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
would be interesting to know if the Wifi board is required for Ethernet...if not I would try this mod...
@ James
My ears definitely say 'No they are not powered down'. I think in/output of the boards are just digitally muted when not used.

Ok...some may call me nuts...but anyway...even this little mod has to burn in. Maybe this burn in does not take as long as if you add some new cables and soldering, but there is definitely a process for the better since yesterday as my D is playing continuously for about 18h. Thinking of the 2 boards being full powered and now this current is not used up and hence no eddy currents added to the other modules in charge lead to more stable power...I don't know. Maybe it's more due to less EMF induced between each board/component like the Duett with all its processors and inputs...not my job to find out.

What improved:
Stability improved a lot since yesterday, bass is much more 'dry' (sorry for direct german translation  Rolleyes ), meaning very little oscillating once the bass impulse was initiated. Sounds more like heavy stuff (MacIntosh), very based.
I can turn up volume to insane level without the D loosing control over speakers...very tight. Better separating of sounds...very big stable stage.
3D-Mapping, again, made a big leap to more realism...it's fascinating.
Now this mod is kind of a controverse one because me crazy ripping all this modules out of a Dxxx by what Devialet is praised for. I know...the Experts/PROs are so special BECAUSE they comprise everything one would need to get a decent audio system in a one box design.
For me it's fact the initial circuit design is that good and superior to other concepts that it stays superior in performance to most competitors even with some flaws in the rest of it...but the design could be better...at least my ears say that  Big Grin

gui

edit: I assume that differences are not of equal quantity for anybody else as I did some other mods to my D that may contribute a lot to this mod's outcome.
berlin
Hi Gui,

Very cool, less is more (up to a limit of course)! Cool I'm always a big fan of removing or disabling that which you don't need. Considering your experiences I think I will try it soon as well, probably after the dust settles a bit here, been changing much in the source and network side of the system. One thing at a time!

Thanks for indirectly correcting me that the phono circuitry is not on the mainboard as I thought. I didn't know Devialet hid another board (the phono board) under the DUET board! Smile I do wonder if the phono inputs still work (as regular RCA inputs) after removing this little board.

Enjoy!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Bad news for Ethernet-Users. You can't switch source over to Ethernet if the WiFi-Board isn't plugged onto the mainboard.
So streaming is only possible over USB or AES/EBU if you have a Mutec or else in between to adapt to XLR.

Sorry, but anybody who unplugs the Phono-Board can tell us if this alone leads to better sound ...or if it's only the WiFi-Board that's this big impact on the sound.

gui
berlin
on the Pro the Ethernet connection beats the connection via Mutec and AES/EBU, so this is unfortunately not useful for me.
That's using your PC right (like detailed here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid55659)? Not all sources are equal, the microRendu and SoTM SMS-200 easily outperform most optimized PC's.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Also, did you switch from WiFi to ethernet?

(23-Dec-2016, 23:07)Vivialet Wrote: only for completeness: I'm using AIR Wifi. No cable is the best cable...

(15-Jan-2017, 14:23)Vivialet Wrote: I don't have a phantom, "only" a Devialet 1000pro. This also sounds better with Ethernet compared to Wifi. So bits are apparently not bits...

The Netherlands
This is very interesting, I've moved to an external phono preamp to eliminate the phono hiss and I'm back on USB so I might start yanking stuff.

Vivialet: IMO, turning on a noisey WIFI radio in an amp isn't necessarily better than a cable.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2