Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet and Avantgarde - has anyone made this pairing work?
Hi. After several months I am still not getting this to work and would really appreciate any help on what to do. I have searched and searched - but found almost nothing talking about horn-devialet pairing. My Devialet 400 and Avantgarde Uno XD pairing (with Ayon CD-T transport) sounds absolutely magical at low volumes (the sort of sound level you get with 2-3 people talking in a room). But as soon as I turn it up to a 'medium' volume, the sound becomes harsh and impossible to listen to. I absolutely never turn it up loud (i.e. party) - it's just horrible. I have played a lot with cables (including the 200-200 interconnect that is talked about in the forums) and don't believe there is anywhere else to go with these in so far as solving the problem is concerned. And I have done the tweaks mentioned on the forum about turning down the power to the speakers. (to 30, 60, 100W) - none of them solve the problem. So, I'm stuck. Has anyone got a wonderful pairing Devialet-AG, and if you have, please can you tell me how you did it?
Or if you have a theory as to perhaps it being something to do with the Devialet 'shifting' technologies as the volume goes up (???) I would really love to know what you think?

Thank You
P
Hello peterdevialet, welcome to the forum.

One question that might help to add some context: is this an all-new set-up for you, or have you used either the 400 or the Avantgardes before with different equipment? Either way, it would help to know what kit you've used before that worked well in the same room.

Looking at it the other way, have you heard the 400 and Avantgardes working well together -- for example at a dealer demo?

Not sure I can help too much as I don't have any experience with horn speakers, but for what it's worth I think you're right to think bigger than cable or power adjustment tweaks.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
maybe you show us some pictures of your room. In most such problem cases it is the room and not the system that is causing such problems.
Don't those speakers have a powered sub integrated with separate controls? If I'm reading the description of them correctly, it sounds like it comes with PC or Mac software to help manage crossover with a full parametric equalizer. I know nothing about them but I'd suggest finding a dealer that can help adjust the software best for your room. Room acoustics could also come into play.

Just hard to believe the Devialet would not work well with them, but if the crossover isn't set up right, I can imagine the horns getting overloaded.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(28-Jan-2017, 13:21)peterdevialet Wrote: Hi. After several months I am still not getting this to work and would really appreciate any help on what to do. I have searched and searched - but found almost nothing talking about horn-devialet pairing. My Devialet 400 and Avantgarde Uno XD pairing (with Ayon CD-T transport) sounds absolutely magical at low volumes (the sort of sound level you get with 2-3 people talking in a room). But as soon as I turn it up to a 'medium' volume, the sound becomes harsh and impossible to listen to. I absolutely never turn it up loud (i.e. party) - it's just horrible. I have played a lot with cables (including the 200-200 interconnect that is talked about in the forums) and don't believe there is anywhere else to go with these in so far as solving the problem is concerned. And I have done the tweaks mentioned on the forum about turning down the power to the speakers. (to 30, 60, 100W) - none of them solve the problem. So, I'm stuck. Has anyone got a wonderful pairing Devialet-AG, and if you have, please can you tell me how you did it?
Or if you have a theory as to perhaps it being something to do with the Devialet 'shifting' technologies as the volume goes up (???) I would really love to know what you think?

Thank You
P
Using my 200 in 30 watt setting with highly modded omega duos. Very surprised to hear about bad sound at medium and high volume settings! In my system the sounds gets better the louder I play because of less digital attentuation I guess. What I found is that my 200 does not like the 16 ohm impedance very much. Had some 12 ohm 20 w mundorf supreme power resistors laying around. put some banana plugs on and connected them to the binding post so that the dev sees an impedance of 6-7 ohms. Sounds much better. But I guess this wont solve your problem. Maybe something wrong with your 400? Have you tried it with different speakers?
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
I am using my Original d'Atelier with Tune Audio Anima horns, 109dB/watt with no problems of the type you describe.
The Devialet does not shift technologies as the volume goes up btw, I know there have been mentions of the first few watts being class A and afterwards class D but this was a non-technically minded person misunderstanding ADH and then being somewhat stubborn and sticking to his guns so rather a lot of people read, and perhaps believed, it.
AHD uses the Class A amplifier to define the output voltage at all powers from minimum to maximum with the Class-D section precisely controlled to supply the current required.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/a...de-uno-g2/

Quote:

"Power
I was already informed by Jan that the Unos don’t work very well with most solid state amplifiers and that the less Watts an amp has, the better. Another friend with the same speakers had already tried the Pass Labs XA30.8, Rowland 625 and Devialet 120 and while the Pass worked best of the bunch, none of them delivered real magic. Having tried the Unos with my 150 watt Rowland model 6 power amps, I can confirm that the result is sadly unflattering. While the Rowlands portray admirable resolution and refinement, and were actually quite a bit more subtle than the Viva Verona XL triode amps, they somehow sound flat and uninspiring with the Unos. The same was true in an earlier experiment with the Devialet 120 hybrid class A/class D amp: superb finesse and low level detailing, along with impressive smoothness and flow, but somehow still lacking expression and dimensionality, imaging in the depth plane falls flat."
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(28-Jan-2017, 13:21)peterdevialet Wrote: Hi. After several months I am still not getting this to work and would really appreciate any help on what to do. I have searched and searched - but found almost nothing talking about horn-devialet pairing. My Devialet 400 and Avantgarde Uno XD pairing (with Ayon CD-T transport) sounds absolutely magical at low volumes (the sort of sound level you get with 2-3 people talking in a room). But as soon as I turn it up to a 'medium' volume, the sound becomes harsh and impossible to listen to. I absolutely never turn it up loud (i.e. party) - it's just horrible. I have played a lot with cables (including the 200-200 interconnect that is talked about in the forums) and don't believe there is anywhere else to go with these in so far as solving the problem is concerned. And I have done the tweaks mentioned on the forum about turning down the power to the speakers. (to 30, 60, 100W) - none of them solve the problem. So, I'm stuck. Has anyone got a wonderful pairing Devialet-AG, and if you have, please can you tell me how you did it?

Thank You
Interesting, I used an expert 250 with my Gallo ref. 3s; these speakers I found to be very revealing. They definitely had a harder edge to them than with the 250 Pro driving them. Unlike your situation the Gallos thrived using the older version. With the Pro 250 they have a more laid back presentation. I would suggest going to your local dealer and test run the pro series of Amps. Just a hunch.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
Unfortunately for the OP, I wouldn't say Avantgarde was a natural pairing for Devialet.
To my mind it's a natural partner for low powered Valve amps.
My ultimate advice would be to reconfigure the system so you get the best out of one or other of the components, Either choose an amp appropriate to the Avantgarde or some speakers more appropriate to Devialet.
LP12se, CD3t, Le 400, MF7
Bucks/Herts Border
(29-Jan-2017, 12:26)adamk Wrote: Unfortunately for the OP, I wouldn't say Avantgarde was a natural pairing for Devialet.
To my mind it's a natural partner for low powered Valve amps.
My ultimate advice would be to reconfigure the system so you get the best out of one or other of the components, Either choose an amp appropriate to the Avantgarde or some speakers more appropriate to Devialet.

I thought that may be the case with my Tune Audio Animas but I prefer the clarity and bass with the Devialet to my valve amp.
I have heard a friend's Duos with a D-Premier and the extra clarity over his SET was very marked. I much preferred it but he thought it "etched".
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire