Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
setup of Roon/Air on non-dedicated PC
I've setup Roon and AIR and connected the D220 via ethernet to the router and the sound quality is quite nice.  

BUT:

Its forcing me to select AIR as my speaker output on my non-dedicated PC and I don't want that.  Roon/AIR is to replace a LINN Kazoo server that lives on my office computer, and manages an Akurate DS1 connected to the D220 via coax.  The LINN has been wonderfully dependable and easy to use with its Kinsky interface on PC or iPAD.  I have no complaints using the Akurate but if it can be better with a direct connection to the Devialet then trying it I must. 

My non-dedicated PC lives in the office and the Devialet is in the living room.  The PC also allows me to listen to tunes/watch video's/youtube and stuff locally via a usb served Teac UD 503 pre-amp to Focal Twin6 Be' powered speakers.  Exceptionally good near field system for doing PC stuff.

I am hoping I've simple misunderstood the setup of AIR and I only want it to stream music to the Devialet - not demand I make it a dedicated audio device removing my office audio system from use.  Thats whats happening.  

Do I need to consider a dedicated NAS to serve content to the Devialet via AIR?

confused jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(29-Jan-2017, 22:29)Jim_Anderson Wrote: I've setup Roon and AIR and connected the D220 via ethernet to the router and the sound quality is quite nice.  

BUT:

Its forcing me to select AIR as my speaker output on my non-dedicated PC and I don't want that.  Roon/AIR is to replace a LINN Kazoo server that lives on my office computer, and manages an Akurate DS1 connected to the D220 via coax.  The LINN has been wonderfully dependable and easy to use with its Kinsky interface on PC or iPAD.  I have no complaints using the Akurate but if it can be better with a direct connection to the Devialet then trying it I must. 

My non-dedicated PC lives in the office and the Devialet is in the living room.  The PC also allows me to listen to tunes/watch video's/youtube and stuff locally via a usb served Teac UD 503 pre-amp to Focal Twin6 Be' powered speakers.  Exceptionally good near field system for doing PC stuff.

I am hoping I've simple misunderstood the setup of AIR and I only want it to stream music to the Devialet - not demand I make it a dedicated audio device removing my office audio system from use.  Thats whats happening.  

Do I need to consider a dedicated NAS to serve content to the Devialet via AIR?

confused jim

Are you trying to stream to the Devialet via AIR on the non dedicated PC AND also send audio output at the same time to the Team UD 503/Focal Twin6 powered speakers?

Or are you just asking how you can toggle AIR on/off based on whether you wish to send music to the Devialet in the living room?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I wanted to be able to stream to the Devialet and also playback on the Teac UD 503 simultaneously.  Linn Kazoo music server currently allows me to do so to the Akurate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, if you use AIR and have it enabled, than all audio output is redirected to AIR. So to the best of my knowledge, you cannot stream to AIR and also send audio output to another source (i.e. USB) at the same time.

Someone please correct me if am wrong....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(30-Jan-2017, 00:44)baddog Wrote: Ok, if you use AIR and have it enabled, than all audio output is redirected to AIR. So to the best of my knowledge, you cannot stream to AIR and also send audio output to another source (i.e. USB) at the same time.

With AIR acting like a audio device most definitely we can not have a non-dedicated PC playing multiple roles of streaming different sources to separate audio devices.  My ignorance of AIR was it allowed the ROON server to link to the Devialet (which I'm guessing the Streaming board will support once we have it) unlike Kazoo.

Oh well back to using Linn Kazoo server software serving to the Akurate.  Its still an excellent streaming environment and does not affect my local user activities.  It plays well with all display devices, Android phone, iPad, PC's via Kinsky.  

Thank you
Jim
(30-Jan-2017, 01:05)Jim_Anderson Wrote:
(30-Jan-2017, 00:44)baddog Wrote: Ok, if you use AIR and have it enabled, than all audio output is redirected to AIR. So to the best of my knowledge, you cannot stream to AIR and also send audio output to another source (i.e. USB) at the same time.

With AIR acting like a audio device most definitely we can not have a non-dedicated PC playing multiple roles of streaming different sources to separate audio devices.  My ignorance of AIR was it allowed the ROON server to link to the Devialet (which I'm guessing the Streaming board will support once we have it) unlike Kazoo.

Oh well back to using Linn Kazoo server software serving to the Akurate.  Its still an excellent streaming environment and does not affect my local user activities.  It plays well with all display devices, Android phone, iPad, PC's via Kinsky.  

Thank you
Jim

Hi Jim,

I am pretty sure the new streamer board won't support ROON. It should however do UPnP, removing the need for the Akurate DS.

Now whether you'll be able to use Kinsky as you currently do is anyone's guess. This would need Devialet UPnP implementation to support UPnP OpenHome to work properly (i.e. gapless playback etc). So far we haven't had any details of Devialet's UPnP implementation so it's difficult to say. 

By the way why are you running Kazoo server software? I didn't think this was needed for Kinsky, just for the Kazoo control point? Or is this so that you can scan iTunes libraries on your PC? Have you tried Kazoo control point software?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(30-Jan-2017, 10:49)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am pretty sure the new streamer board won't support ROON. It should however do UPnP, removing the need for the Akurate DS.

Now whether you'll be able to use Kinsky as you currently do is anyone's guess. This would need Devialet UPnP implementation to support UPnP OpenHome to work properly (i.e. gapless playback etc). So far we haven't had any details of Devialet's UPnP implementation so it's difficult to say. 

By the way why are you running Kazoo server software? I didn't think this was needed for Kinsky, just for the Kazoo control point? Or is this so that you can scan iTunes libraries on your PC? Have you tried Kazoo control point software?

Guillaume

Currently on my SOHO computer I have all my music files located on an SSD drive.  I've also setup the Kazoo server polling for Radio Paradise and CBC radio and serving up Tidal.  These are served via Kazoo server software to the networked Akurate DS1.  Kinsky is being used strictly as a song playlist either from the source PC or iPad or any device you load Linn's Kinsky remote onto.  This way my SOHO pc gets to play on youtube and still stream music out to the Akurate.

Through this week I have been able to determine there is a want/need for a dedicated music server, and it looks like there are many options open to me.  My budget will be between 1,500-2000 (cad - or $10 US - damn the currency exchange).  

The Linn configuration does quite well, but I am hearing a difference to running AIR and Roon (I can't seem to find the correct adjectives to describe it yet).  Today, I'm spending several hours on this task of determining just what it is I'm hearing and weight benefits/cost factors with my current Devialet configuration.  I am committed to moving the music off of my SOHO PC so some sort of standalone device is in my future.  Currently Roon and AIR are using an average of 8% CPU usage and less than 500MB of memory, so very little effect on the PC.  Thisi is on an I7 with 64GB memory system. Networking is running from 77kbps to 4.0mbps with some bursts up to 7.7mbps on a 15mbps network..

I will be canvasing for an acceptable dedicated appliance to use to stream files, internet radio, tidal to the Devialet.  Hopefully there's some consensus amongst the group on what options are available.  This could be something I put together myself or an all in one purchasable product.

Hopefully the above makes some sense.
Jim