Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torus Power Isolation Transformers (getting a RM 16 or upgrading to Pro)
(18-Feb-2017, 16:19)octaviars Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 13:38)MightyMart Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 11:50)Confused Wrote: I have listened to a Devialet with a big PS Audio mains conditioner, I thought this had a very negative impact on dynamics.  In you post above, you state you are getting improved dynamics.  I presume you are referring to the Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner per your signature?  I am thinking that products like this are very system specific in how they work.  It is not an area in which I have any kind of expert knowledge, but if dynamics matter, what type of mains conditioning works from a technical perspective, and works well with a Devialet?  I'm sure Devialet amps can be quite demanding with respect to peak loads?

I can assure you that there is absolutely no loss in dynamics with the RM 16. On the contrary, everything is sounding better with it plugged in. It's like I have new even better amplifiers and/or speakers. (The PS Audio P5/P10 is nothing like the RM 16 when it comes to delivering power...)

I compared my D 400 with the D 220 Pro and then my D 400 w/o the RM 16. The benefits of the Torus outweighed the benefits of an upgrade to Pro, by a big margin. The RM 16 is also cheaper compared to the Pro upgrade (at least here in Sweden) and I can sell off most of my expensive power cables and get some cheaper ones. Like I said, for me it has been a no-brainer. I'm very, very pleased with having made a move in this direction and investing in clean and plentiful power. Seems like the right thing to do.

Have you done anything to the powersupply in your apartment/house that feeds the hifi?

I have tried a couple of different powersolutions with my Devialets but the thing that made the biggest difference was when I installed a seperate powersupply from my meterbox outside on my house that only feeds my Ansuz Mains D8 powerstrip that then feeds my D440 with Anzus POM powercables.

After I installed this powersupply powercables and powerconditioners have med less difference to the sound but I decided to keep the Ansuz stuff as I feel they make some extra improvments.

The installation of my dedicaded powersupply.

We are living in a rental flat at the moment and for 1-2 more years, so that isn't not an option for me right now.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(18-Feb-2017, 17:29)MightyMart Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 15:06)RDr Tone Wrote: If the difference between the 200 and 220 Pro is small in comparison to adding this power product, you must have some terribly dirty power at your location.

Or maybe you don't know what you're missing out on...?  Tongue

To make that much of difference, obviously it's fixing something terrible wrong with your power.

I run a Denali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6f1kwyZbM8
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(18-Feb-2017, 19:52)Dr Tone Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 17:29)MightyMart Wrote:
(18-Feb-2017, 15:06)RDr Tone Wrote: If the difference between the 200 and 220 Pro is small in comparison to adding this power product, you must have some terribly dirty power at your location.

Or maybe you don't know what you're missing out on...?  Tongue

To make that much of difference, obviously it's fixing something terrible wrong with your power.

I run a Denali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6f1kwyZbM8

If you want to maximize the conditions for your setup to perform at its best, you need to start with the power supply. Otherwise you will never hear what your amplifier, speakers etc. are actually capable of since we are actually all listening to the audible result of a process driven by that very same electrical power that comes from our wall receptacle. 

Not starting with optimizing the power supply is like filling up your premium sports car with bad fuel and then changing tires and transmission to make it perform better. Tinkering with this and that cable is the same thing. It can only do so much and never replace good power conditions.

I live just outside Stockholm in a modern apartment building (built 2011) with no major industrial areas close by so I don't think that the power quality is such a major issue compared to the average user. But, like I've said, I do think that getting really clean and stable power is. I also think that clean power and room/acoustical treatment is probably two areas many of us neglect when improving the quality of our setups. This is actually very unfortunate since many of us never get to experience the full potential of our gear before growing restless and upgrading it for ever bigger sums of money.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -