Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD using Ethernet
Hi everybody. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me. As I understand it, DSD files can't be played back natively on a Devialet via Ethernet, only USB, SPDIF or XLR.
Is this a limitation of
1. Air 3.1 RC
2. the Ethernet connection implementation on our Devialet's, OR
3.????
Will this one day be possible, with another version of Air software? I'm very happy with my current setup and will happily wait a wee bit longer if I knew this possibility "is just down the road", rather than switch to USB just for the handful of DSD files in my collection.....
Any input is much appreciated.
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives
It is possible to send them as DoP over AIR to Devialet but all DSD is converted to PCM with Devialets MAT process so I dont know if it is something that matters really.

I know some here tested dCS Vivaldi Upsampler set to DSD 64 and thougt that was better than sending PCM to Devialet I asume this has to do with the filters used to convert to DSD and then the filters in Devialet back to PCM 40/384kHz.

"The DSD sound format (Direct Stream Digital) was released in 1999 with the introduction of the SACD (Super Audio Compact Disc). In the « computer audio » era, it has now become much more accessible. Considered by many industry leaders as the most analog sounding of digital formats, DSD has gained a solid reputation over time and has quickly become a reference format for the most demanding of audiophiles. The conventional PCM format of audio CDs encodes music on 16 bits (65536 levels), 44100 times per second, whereas DSD format encodes music on 1 bit (using only 2 levels: 0 or 1) but much more frequently: 2.8224 million times per second (DSD64 ou DSD 1x), 5.6448 million times per second (DSD128 ou DSD 2x) and even 11.2896 times per second (DSD256 ou DSD 4x). The raw bitrate of an audio DSD stream is higher than that of an audio CD and equivalent to a High Definition PCM stream. Thus, on a bandwidth point of view, it is technically feasible to carry an audio DSD stream over a High Definition capable PCM digital input. The entire Expert range is now compatible with the DoP protocol (DSD over PCM). This new feature is available through the USB input but also on the digital XLR input (AES/EBU), the TOSLINK optical input and all coaxial digital inputs (S/PDIF). A completely unique feature. MAT DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40 bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage), the MAT algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly outstanding performances."
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Why would you bother with DSD since it is going to be converted to PCM 40bits/384KHz.
DSD can be sent DOP via Air for Windows only. Doesn't work on OSX I remember reading somewhere on these forums.

To me, the DSD conversion in the Devialet sounds better than having software decode it prior and sending it PCM to the Devialet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thanks for the fast responses :-)
BUT.........
are the incoming audio files still in DSD format when they enter our beautiful amps. As I'm using Audirvana, I have in the "Audio Systems settings" in preferences, Native DSD capability set to Automatic Detection. DSD64 isn't lit up/shown as a possibility then, only the various PCM possibilities.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Audirvana recognizes I'm using Air Ethernet and converts to 176,4 kHz, that's what my amp is showing me as well if I push the source button on the remote.
I tried changing in Audirvana preferences the setting to "DSD over PCM standard 1.0" but then I get a lovely dose of white noise, non stop actually:-(
I'm assuming if I used other connection it wouldn't be like that, the DSD signal is still "native" when it reaches the Devialet and then DSD MAT Procees kicks in with its magic!
Your turn.......
Pro 440, B&W 804D, HMS In Concerto Speaker cables, Audioquest Jitterbug & Cinnamon USB, 2018 Mac Mini with 8Gb RAM, Furutech G320 Power cable, Audirvana Studio, 4 x 2TB SSD External Drives
(13-Feb-2017, 19:17)Dougiet Wrote: Thanks for the fast responses :-)
BUT.........
are the incoming audio files still in DSD format when they enter our beautiful amps. As I'm using Audirvana, I have in the "Audio Systems settings" in preferences, Native DSD capability set to Automatic Detection. DSD64 isn't lit up/shown as a possibility then, only the various PCM possibilities.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Audirvana recognizes I'm using Air Ethernet and converts to 176,4 kHz, that's what my amp is showing me as well if I push the source button on the remote.
I tried changing in Audirvana preferences the setting to "DSD over PCM standard 1.0" but then I get a lovely dose of white noise, non stop actually:-(
I'm assuming if I used other connection it wouldn't be like that, the DSD signal is still "native" when it reaches the Devialet and then DSD MAT Procees  kicks in with its magic!
Your turn.......

DSD over PCM via Air doesn't work on OSX, only Windows.  You have no choice but have Audirvana decode your DSD to PCM.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2