Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone amp advice wanted
I recently bought some Audeze LCD2 headphones which I run from the pre out of my D200. I have tried a few headphone amps from Burson, Lehman etc and to be honest they didn't sound a great deal better than the D200, does anyone have any recommendations for something that will elevate the performance of the Audeze without completely breaking the bank? They sound very good from the D200 but like most on here I am always looking for improvement! Many thanks.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
It may be worth posting this in the head fi forum as a lot more geared towards headphone listening.
From my experience my dedicated headphone amp is much better than using the pre outs. I had hoped not as I wished to get rid of a box.....in the end I upgraded to the Auralic Taurus .
There are some great headphone amps out now as it's a massive growth area
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Thanks Womaz, the Taurus is a real serious piece of kit but I can't justify that expense for the amount of headphone listening I do. I will check on Head fi thanks for the advice.
Try a Rupert Neve RNHP. Great sound, and it won't break the bank. There is a review in February's Hi-Fi News and Record Review and several online.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(14-Feb-2017, 02:23)Axel Wrote: Try a Rupert Neve RNHP. Great sound, and it won't break the bank. There is a review in February's Hi-Fi News and Record Review and several online.

Great tip thanks, Neve is a bit of a recording legend and that amp seems like a bit of a bargain. Much appreciated.