Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage (older) speakers?
Hi all
Just wondering if any of you use vintage/older speakers with your devialet? Looking around the forum it seems pretty much everyone has what I would consider modern/new speakers and wondered who had had success pairing older speakers.  I know technology moves on and quite often new speaker technology can simply offer more than older designs in every respect but there must be some who feel differently? 
I myself have tdl reference standard (re-capped) paired with a 220pro and get some amazing sound out of it.  A friend brought his b&w 802d2's round and we had a shootout. The b&w's had more air to the high frequencies but in terms of mid-range clarity there was no difference and the tdl's bass demolished the b&w's. I'm not bad mouthing the b&w's as they are amazing speakers in their own right. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences? I think the devialet allows all speakers to sound their best and cleanest.
Thanks 
Nick
(14-Feb-2017, 00:43)Nickyrboy Wrote: Hi all
Just wondering if any of you use vintage/older speakers with your devialet? Looking around the forum it seems pretty much everyone has what I would consider modern/new speakers and wondered who had had success pairing older speakers.  I know technology moves on and quite often new speaker technology can simply offer more than older designs in every respect but there must be some who feel differently? 
I myself have tdl reference standard (re-capped) paired with a 220pro and get some amazing sound out of it.  A friend brought his b&w 802d2's round and we had a shootout. The b&w's had more air to the high frequencies but in terms of mid-range clarity there was no difference and the tdl's bass demolished the b&w's. I'm not bad mouthing the b&w's as they are amazing speakers in their own right. Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences? I think the devialet allows all speakers to sound their best and cleanest.
Thanks 
Nick

Hi,

I'm using Tannoy HPD385 in custom made 200l closed box with D120. Drivers are reconed, crossovers recapped.

Bass is very well controlled, with a lot of slam, mids ang highs are beter than with any other amp. I'm very satisfied with this combination.

Regards
Uros
Marantz TT-15S1, Roon, Tidal, Devialet D220 Pro, Tannoy HPD385 in custom 200l cabinet 
I do not know if 'vintage' is correct for my speakers, but they are certainly old as I think I bought them around 1990. I have listened to lots of new speakers without buying any - yet. New speakers must , for me, be time aligned. The Kii THREE is an alternative, but then I'd loose the D250 Pro. Or maybe one if the Vandersteens. For the time being I guess I'll stay with my modified MA's.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Funny question as most people here on this forum are at the forefront of technology!
I could almost feel ashamed to speak about my '82 Cabasse Galion 4, paired with a 220 Pro... However, the sound is amazing with a great scenery. I'm chasing Devialet for SAMing them as I could gain some bass here and there.
Also, I upgraded form a D120 and it is quite amazing the difference a few more Watts make
Best regards,
Arnaud
Synology DS414 > Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i7BNH > Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI (upgraded from D120) > Cabasse Galion IV (vintage)
I have year 1981 build JBL 4345 biamped with 2 x D250 Pro. The best sound I have heard at home. When comparing to B&W 800D3 I prefer JBL.
I've had two sequential pairs of Yamaha NS 1000M's, the first from new in 1980 to the early 90s, and the second, obtained second-hand, from then to the present day.

I've always felt that least developmental progress has been made with loudspeakers, while their cost has escalated greatly.

Using quoted Bank of England inflation rates for the UK, the £550 the Yamahas cost me in 1980 is equivalent to £2600 or so today. What chance of matching the Yamahas' quality for anything like that figure? The B&Ws I am considering come in at £16000 and £22000 respectively. They will be better, I'm sure, but how much more so?

Fraser
I use some Celestion Ditton 66's dating from 1973, so they're older than I am.
Sound great through the 1000 Pro, I fancy some 15" vintage Tannoy's next though...
When I started with a D120 3 years ago, I was greatly impressed what gain it was in all aspects with my 1990's MB Quart 2000. Luckily I got the chance to get them SAMed which got them down to 18 Hz. Wow!
Now with the upgrade to the 220 Pro I enjoy an even more spontaneous and detailed sound that makes me wonder how much more is possible with some B&W or alike.
Or it is another question whether going to dual mono will push the MB Quarts even further.

Cheers,
Chris

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
I'm still using Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII from around year 2000.
Bought them with a Naim "Olive" system which eventually became NAC52 / NAP135 x 2 all on Mana racks.  Boy did it rock but eventually tired of all the boxes and cables and dust-magnets so it all went save for the Dynaudios.
Now using them with a D200 and keep thinking about a speaker upgrade, but they still sound sweet - nice big sound with plenty of bass (no SAM available) - and I'm not sure which way to move.  KEF LS50? ATC SCM40? New Dynaudio Contour?  Even newer Q Acoustics Concept 500?  All too difficult so they're staying for now . . .
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal