Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker advice upgrading from Kef ls50 ($2000-4000)
Hi all,

Brief about myself since I am new here. I have traded in my UnitiQute2 for a Devialet 120. 

Speakers: 
Kef Ls50 Racing Red limited edition

Source:
Custom German Gaming laptop from Schenker XMG ---> Shunyata Venom USB ---> Devialet 120 

Streaming
Roon (trial), Spotify premium (trial) & Foobar2000 (flac/alac & dsd), Tidal Hifi (expired and hesitant to re-subscribe)

Music: 
Jazz, Blues, Rock, J-Rock/Pop, a Movie a week. 

Brands accessible in my place:
- Focal
- PMC
- ProAc
- B&W
- Dynaudio
- Kef
- Dali
- Monitor Audio 
- (Wilson & Vivid but out of my budget)

Budget (after wife's approval ^^): 
2000-4000$

Room: 
3m x 4m (two big curtains and a 60% carpet covering the floor)

I have only heard the Focals (in showroom) & B&W CM6 S2 which I owned and sold two years ago. 
Please advise me to purchase the all rounder speaker. I do like sparkling sound and not a bass-head if that gives my listening preference. 

Thanks 
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
I've only heard the LS50's once. It wasn't on a good system and they we're on a shelf with a bunch of other speakers so not ideal at all. But what I came back with was that they are a really nice sounding speaker so paying twice as much might not give you so much as an upgrade but more a change in sound.

Can you tell us what you're missing in the LS50's that you're looking for? That might give us all some idea.

The list of bands seems pretty good. I would add Magnepan to the list. You'll probably beat the LS50's with a pair of Magnepan MG's or 1.7's and have money left over.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Pim van Vliet Wrote:I've only heard the LS50's once. It wasn't on a good system and they we're on a shelf with a bunch of other speakers so not ideal at all. But what I came back with was that they are a really nice sounding speaker so paying twice as much might not give you so much as an upgrade but more a change in sound.

Can you tell us what you're missing in the LS50's that you're looking for? That might give us all some idea.

The list of bands seems pretty good. I would add Magnepan to the list. You'll probably beat the LS50's with a pair of Magnepan MG's or 1.7's and have money left over.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Pim

I am missing the full bandwidth of sound delivery if that makes sense. One driver of Uni-Q doesn't replace 2 or 3 driver speakers. 

I would love to be a maggie owner but it is not available in my region. I hope you can suggest a good speaker that trumps the others in highs and mids.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Have you tried the SAM profile for the LS50?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(15-Feb-2017, 11:59)Soniclife Wrote: Have you tried the SAM profile for the LS50?

Of course. I still seek an upgrade Smile
How about adding a sub or 2, disabling sam and using the cross over instead? Just an idea.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Feb-2017, 14:23)Dr Tone Wrote: How about adding a sub or 2, disabling sam and using the cross over instead? Just an idea.

I dont need bass really, the ls50s produced too much bass. I think i will need more spacious, sparkling and transparent sound.
(15-Feb-2017, 19:12)Emerald Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 14:23)Dr Tone Wrote: How about adding a sub or 2, disabling sam and using the cross over instead?  Just an idea.

I dont need bass really, the ls50s produced too much bass. I think i will need more spacious, sparkling and transparent sound.

My point was if you remove the need to produce the bass from the LS50 it will do a much better job up top.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Feb-2017, 20:07)Dr Tone Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 19:12)Emerald Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 14:23)Dr Tone Wrote: How about adding a sub or 2, disabling sam and using the cross over instead?  Just an idea.

My point was if you remove the need to produce the bass from the LS50 it will do a much better job up top.

My devialet 120 doesnt have sub out.
I would recommend the b&w cm10s2 out of your list of available options and price range. They will give you the full range sound and crucially the "sparkle" you speak of. Also the 120 will run them well. Focal'a high end stuff is glorious but I don't think the aria range has the "sparkle" your after.
Just my opinion on the above but give the b&w's a try!