Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker advice upgrading from Kef ls50 ($2000-4000)
Hi Emerald, and welcome.

I too had a UnitiQute and moved to a D120 so I know very well the change you've made in amplification. And there are quite a few Ex-Naim owners here.

As with all of us, we can only pick from the brands available to us wherever we live. Of the brands you mention, and reading your initial and follow-up comments, I would suggest you listen to the Monitor Audio Range. I've heard a few of them and I think that they have a much different sound character than the LS 50 and so may give the sort of change you are after. In my brief listening time, they did seem very open and expansive and have a certain 'sparkle'. Knowing the D120, I think they would be a good match. They also have a nice range of modestly sized speakers and since your room is not too large, a compact box is likely a good starting place. I've also had ProAc's and I loved them, so I would certainly suggest you listen to them as well.

I've heard the smaller Focal Aria's and I agree with Nickyrboy about their character and your objectives.

Do you think that some sort of acoustical treatment to your room would change the sound you get from the LS50's?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I use ProAc D20R speakers. They have a ribbon tweeter which might give the "spacious and sparkling" top end that you are looking for.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Nickyrboy Wrote:I would recommend the b&w cm10s2 out of your list of available options and price range. They will give you the full range sound and crucially the "sparkle" you speak of. Also the 120 will run them well. Focal'a high end stuff is glorious but I don't think the aria range has the "sparkle" your after.  
Just my opinion on the above but give the b&w's a try!

Thanks for the info. 
What do you think of the PM1 ? it is cheaper and more suitable to my small room.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Damon Wrote:Hi Emerald, and welcome.

I too had a UnitiQute and moved to a D120 so I know very well the change you've made in amplification. And there are quite a few Ex-Naim owners here.

As with all of us, we can only pick from the brands available to us wherever we live. Of the brands you mention, and reading your initial and follow-up comments, I would suggest you listen to the Monitor Audio Range. I've heard a few of them and I think that they have a much different sound character than the LS 50 and so may give the sort of change you are after. In my brief listening time, they did seem very open and expansive and have a certain 'sparkle'. Knowing the D120, I think they would be a good match. They also have a nice range of modestly sized speakers and since your room is not too large, a compact box is likely a good starting place. I've also had ProAc's and I loved them, so I would certainly suggest you listen to them as well.

I've heard the smaller Focal Aria's and I agree with Nickyrboy about their character and your objectives.

Do you think that some sort of acoustical treatment to your room would change the sound you get from the LS50's?

Axel Wrote:I use ProAc D20R speakers. They have a ribbon tweeter which might give the "spacious and sparkling" top end that you are looking for.

Hi and thanks for sharing your experiences. I will surely ask for a ProAc 20R demo. 

Knowing that MA, ProAc & B&W provide great highs/sparkling sound. Just to make a wise decision. Allow me to ask from a different angle. 
If I may ask, what does Focal Aria excel in that 20R or CM10S2 don't ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
(15-Feb-2017, 10:41)Emerald Wrote: Hi all,

Brief about myself since I am new here. I have traded in my UnitiQute2 for a Devialet 120. 

Speakers: 
Kef Ls50 Racing Red limited edition

Source:
Custom German Gaming laptop from Schenker XMG ---> Shunyata Venom USB ---> Devialet 120 

Streaming
Roon (trial), Spotify premium (trial) & Foobar2000 (flac/alac & dsd), Tidal Hifi (expired and hesitant to re-subscribe)

Music: 
Jazz, Blues, Rock, J-Rock/Pop, a Movie a week. 

Brands accessible in my place:
- Focal
- PMC
- ProAc
- B&W
- Dynaudio
- Kef
- Dali
- Monitor Audio 
- (Wilson & Vivid but out of my budget)

Budget (after wife's approval ^^): 
2000-4000$

Room: 
3m x 4m (two big curtains and a 60% carpet covering the floor)

I have only heard the Focals (in showroom) & B&W CM6 S2 which I owned and sold two years ago. 
Please advise me to purchase the all rounder speaker. I do like sparkling sound and not a bass-head if that gives my listening preference. 

Thanks 
Listen to all of them and bring your amp along.
Devialet 250 Pro, Marantz SA-11 S2, Dell 2T HDD/250 SSD/24GB Mem.,using Fidelizer Pro software with JRivers. Hyperion 968 speakers. Cabling consists of Nordost Heimdall 2 power cables to all components with Nordost Qx4 inline to Devialet, all other wiring are Nordost Valhalla. I am tri-wiring the Hyperion 968s. 
 Less is More, more or less
(17-Feb-2017, 06:12)woodstock Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 10:41)Emerald Wrote: Hi all,

Brief about myself since I am new here. I have traded in my UnitiQute2 for a Devialet 120. 

Speakers: 
Kef Ls50 Racing Red limited edition

Source:
Custom German Gaming laptop from Schenker XMG ---> Shunyata Venom USB ---> Devialet 120 

Streaming
Roon (trial), Spotify premium (trial) & Foobar2000 (flac/alac & dsd), Tidal Hifi (expired and hesitant to re-subscribe)

Music: 
Jazz, Blues, Rock, J-Rock/Pop, a Movie a week. 

Brands accessible in my place:
- Focal
- PMC
- ProAc
- B&W
- Dynaudio
- Kef
- Dali
- Monitor Audio 
- (Wilson & Vivid but out of my budget)

Budget (after wife's approval ^^): 
2000-4000$

Room: 
3m x 4m (two big curtains and a 60% carpet covering the floor)

I have only heard the Focals (in showroom) & B&W CM6 S2 which I owned and sold two years ago. 
Please advise me to purchase the all rounder speaker. I do like sparkling sound and not a bass-head if that gives my listening preference. 

Thanks 
Listen to all of them and bring your amp along.

Unfortunately 90% of the speakers are imported by order after i confirm and deposit full price.

I have only auditioned some focals and sonus faber venere.

Otherwise, i wouldnt be posting here for advice.

Thanks
(17-Feb-2017, 07:38)Emerald Wrote: Unfortunately 90% of the speakers are imported by order after i confirm and deposit full price.

Not being able to listen to speakers before purchase at all is really tough. Is there an active second hand market where you live?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(17-Feb-2017, 10:17)Soniclife Wrote:
(17-Feb-2017, 07:38)Emerald Wrote: Unfortunately 90% of the speakers are imported by order after i confirm and deposit full price.

Not being able to listen to speakers before purchase at all is really tough. Is there an active second hand market where you live?

Yeah, that's tricky, since even with the best will in the world, the best advice here is not necessarily going to agree with your ears, room, etc.

Have you tried adding room EQ? You never know, and it would be a lot less expensive.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Very strong recommendation for a used pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers, which should fall right in that price range. Relatively small, nice looking, surprisingly deep bass for the size (esp compared to your KEFs), magnificent Esostar tweeter, SAM ready. When I went to upgrade, I had to step way up to exceed them (to Magico). Perfect for smaller rooms.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(18-Feb-2017, 00:48)flohmann Wrote: Very strong recommendation for a used pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers, which should fall right in that price range. Relatively small, nice looking, surprisingly deep bass for the size (esp compared to your KEFs), magnificent Esostar tweeter, SAM ready. When I went to upgrade, I had to step way up to exceed them (to Magico). Perfect for smaller rooms.

I was actually comparing Contour 1.4 LE vs Contour 20 for that matter. Both have Esotar2 tweeters. Did you hear them or compare to the C1?

There is a second hand market that is a hit or miss in audio gear. There is only one speaker worth mentioning, which is Focal Diablo Utopia III. He sells these for $6300 including Tellurium Q Black Ultras and Original Utopia Stands.

I really don't know if Diablo Utopias are worth extending to 6k. I might need focal owners feedback.

(17-Feb-2017, 11:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Yeah, that's tricky, since even with the best will in the world, the best advice here is not necessarily going to agree with your ears, room, etc.

Have you tried adding room EQ? You never know, and it would be a lot less expensive.

Can you suggest an EQ mic/dsp or the needed gear to do them?