Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIDAL question
(18-Feb-2017, 17:37)KIBM Wrote: Hi Womaz

I started a thread on this a couple of days ago:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4018

The Mconnect app is configured with Tidal and Qobuz (useful for comparison).

It 'sees' my NAS and connects with my Krell streamer - logically (!) it should work with the Melco….

Not as pretty or as functional as Roon/Tidal, but it works very well.

Kevin

Good spot Kevin.
As you say, a good way to compare Tidal or Qobuz against your NAS collection.
Just what Womaz would like to achieve.

I tried this app on an IPad Air2, automatically detects NAS and quickly connects to Qobuz. Identified the IPad and Oppo 103 as players. Not the Aries, as I have this setup as an Openhome player. App seems a solid performer although I agree it's not functionally rich. More than adequate to trial streaming solutions though.
Thanks for the replies guys, I will look into this option and see if it works in my set up
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi Womaz,

If you are USB between the Melco and Devialet and are happy to run Bubble UPnP Server on the PC, Tidal can be used on an iPad via Linn Kazoo or the LUMIN app...
Melco N1A, Oppo HA-1 AudioCom Special Edition, HiFiMan HE1000
(18-Feb-2017, 09:45)Womaz Wrote: Hi
I am considering giving TIDAL another go, but would like some guidance.
My set up is below so I am assuming the only way I could do this is to reinstall AIR and use my main PC as the control point. At present I use spotify and I can use that through my PS4 and I can therefore use my I pad as the control point and this is much more suitable. As I have the Melco I am not sure I can use my I Pad to control TIDAL? Is this possible?

I think if I bought an Android tablet I could do this but I am not sure how my TIDAL trail will go as I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the sound quality last time in comparison with the FLAC files stored on my Melco. I just found it less full with a thin sound and a tad bright too at times.

Any guidance as usual much appreciated.
Just a thought: I use a Bluesound Node (less than $500) tethered by coax to my Devialet 200 to access Tidal.  Since Bluesound has full implementation of MQA, you can hear the Tidal files in all their glory.  Pretty sweet!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(08-Mar-2017, 00:06)Flashman Wrote:
My set up is below so I am assuming the only way I could do this is to reinstall AIR and use my main PC as the control point. At present I use spotify and I can use that through my PS4 and I can therefore use my I pad as the control point and this is much more suitable. As I have the Melco I am not sure I can use my I Pad to control TIDAL? Is this possible?

I think if I bought an Android tablet I could do this but I am not sure how my TIDAL trail will go as I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the sound quality last time in comparison with the FLAC files stored on my Melco. I just found it less full with a thin sound and a tad bright too at times.

Just a thought: I use a Bluesound Node (less than $500) tethered by coax to my Devialet 200 to access Tidal.  Since Bluesound has full implementation of MQA, you can hear the Tidal files in all their glory.  Pretty sweet!

Tethered Coax? I have to assume you mean the Bluesound Node Analog out going into the Devialet?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(08-Mar-2017, 00:15)Dr Tone Wrote:
(08-Mar-2017, 00:06)Flashman Wrote:

Tethered Coax? I have to assume you mean the Bluesound Node Analog out going into the Devialet?
Actually, I have the Bluesound Node connected in two ways: analog out to line in on the Devialet, which takes full advantage of MQA, and digital out (coax) to digital in on the Devialet.  For MQA listening, I use the analog out and for other Tidal files I use the digital out.  Works great!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(08-Mar-2017, 02:08)Flashman Wrote:
(08-Mar-2017, 00:15)Dr Tone Wrote:
(08-Mar-2017, 00:06)Flashman Wrote: Just a thought: I use a Bluesound Node (less than $500) tethered by coax to my Devialet 200 to access Tidal.  Since Bluesound has full implementation of MQA, you can hear the Tidal files in all their glory.  Pretty sweet!

Actually, I have the Bluesound Node connected in two ways: analog out to line in on the Devialet, which takes full advantage of MQA, and digital out (coax) to digital in on the Devialet.  For MQA listening, I use the analog out and for other Tidal files I use the digital out.  Works great!
But once analog audio into Devialet they will be converted to digital before converting to analog again. Though Devialet amp is very transparent, I believe this will still change the sound a bit.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(08-Mar-2017, 03:49)hk6230 Wrote:
(08-Mar-2017, 02:08)Flashman Wrote:
(08-Mar-2017, 00:15)Dr Tone Wrote: Tethered Coax? I have to assume you mean the Bluesound Node Analog out going into the Devialet?
But once analog audio into Devialet they will be converted to digital before converting to analog again. Though Devialet amp is very transparent, I believe this will still change the sound a bit.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Yes, you are correct that the Devialet will take the analog signal from the Bluesound Node and send it through its DAC.  But the improvements from the MQA "full" treatment in the Bluesound (all the different stages of MQA) are not diminished.  It sounds fantastic.
Hi guys, thanks for all the help and suggestions.
In the end I have decided to try TIDAL, but I have a new Astell & Kern 300 DAP and I am using it on there.It can be quite addictive.

As I have now subscribed I would be mad not to try it through my 200, but the thoughts of installing AIR again and going through all that possible white noise pain, will bring back some painful memories Big Grin Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I hear you there! I was braced for the same pain, but about 12 hours of purely high-res files via Roon later, it's still going strong. DSD aside, this could be the one. Well, at least it's the most stable by far for me.

I still can't relax and assume the dreaded crackles will come.... but so far they haven't. It's definitely one to try Womaz. Smile

And as much as I hate to say it, I think it sounds better than my microrendu, Paul Hynes SR3, Intona combo.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<