Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does SAM on the Phantom make it impossible to blow up?
In the past I've had Bryston amps and KEF speakers. I've always been pretty conservative in adjusting the volume since it's pretty easy(ish) to blow a speaker up when driven too hard. From what I understand about SAM is that it measures the maximum safe excursion of a woofer and applies DSP correction on low frequencies to firstly ensure optimal timing and secondly reduce bass tones to minimize distortion and protect the speaker at higher volumes.

If that's the case though the Phantom should be the most accurately mapped SAM speaker and consequently the first speaker on the market which in theory can't blow itself up?
(19-Feb-2017, 12:49)dogbait Wrote: In the past I've had Bryston amps and KEF speakers. I've always been pretty conservative in adjusting the volume since it's pretty easy(ish) to blow a speaker up when driven too hard. From what I understand about SAM is that it measures the maximum safe excursion of a woofer and applies DSP correction on low frequencies to firstly ensure optimal timing and secondly reduce bass tones to minimize distortion and protect the speaker at higher volumes.

If that's the case though the Phantom should be the most accurately mapped SAM speaker and consequently the first speaker on the market which in theory can't blow itself up?

BOSE had this kind of Dsp protection gear for decades on their Lifestyle systems...
(19-Feb-2017, 12:49)dogbait Wrote: In the past I've had Bryston amps and KEF speakers. I've always been pretty conservative in adjusting the volume since it's pretty easy(ish) to blow a speaker up when driven too hard. From what I understand about SAM is that it measures the maximum safe excursion of a woofer and applies DSP correction on low frequencies to firstly ensure optimal timing and secondly reduce bass tones to minimize distortion and protect the speaker at higher volumes.

That is 100% accurate. I've pushed my Phantom to it's absolute max on all kinds of music and NEVER have I even heard it struggle, or get too hot, or even indicate a sign of damage. To me these things are indestructible. SAM is very accurate on Phantom and it's the first speaker where I literally have no worries about running it from 0 all the way to 100% for as long as I please.
Devialet Phantom (White)