Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Settings for MC Merlo cartridge
Hi,

has anyone a Transrotor Turntable with a MC Merlo cartridge?

It is my first MC device and it is standing here with me being afraid to test it as it is without properly configuring it in the D220 configurator.

maybe someone can help here?

Regards
Kian
Photo 
Hi,

It looks as if the MC Merlo is a rebadged/tweaked Goldring Elite, here's the spec...

Sensitivity
0.5 mV +/- 1 dB @ 1 kHz
Load Resistance
100 Ω
Load Capacitance
100 - 500 pF
Internal Inductance
2  uH
Internal Resistance
8 Ω

so I'd start here...

or set the capacitance to 0pF as there will be some capacitance from your tonearm cable.
(13-Mar-2017, 12:24)daved0x01 Wrote: Hi,

It looks as if the MC Merlo is a rebadged/tweaked Goldring Elite, here's the spec...

Sensitivity
0.5 mV +/- 1 dB @ 1 kHz
Load Resistance
100 Ω
Load Capacitance
100 - 500 pF
Internal Inductance
2  uH
Internal Resistance
8 Ω

so I'd start here...

or set the capacitance to 0pF as there will be some capacitance from your tonearm cable.

hmm, the only info I can use from above is the load resistance and capacitance in Devialet Configurator. But with a range of 100-500 pF, I do not understand which setting would be optimal and what impact this setting has. Can you please explain? Same goes for "Max Level" in Devialet Configurator.
I'm sure I read somewhere on here that you don't use the capacitance setting with MC cartridges. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've been running my M.C with 0pF  Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I agree with Axel and daved. With an MC cartridge you normally want to phono stage capacitance to be as low as possible, so set to zero. Some people would go as far as trying to re-wire tone arms with low capacitance cable for use with MC's, but simply setting the Devialet to 0pF works well with MC cartridges and is a lot easier!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
hmm, I do not feel comfortable to just do something without understanding why:
what does load capacitance do and in how far does it impact the sound or cartridge?
why do you say to put it to 0 whereas the official manfucturer specifies a range of 100-500pF?

And:
1. What is uVRMS?
2. What impact does uVRMS have on sound and cartridge?
3. What differences can I expect when choosing a value between 0 - 5000uVRMS?
what does load capacitance do and in how far does it impact the sound or cartridge? ->

Load capacitance makes little difference to MC cartridges - Try changing it and see if you notice a difference.

why do you say to put it to 0 whereas the official manufacturer specifies a range of 100-500pF? ->

Because the tonearm cable has some capacitance (usually more than 100pF) and any load capacitance is added to this.

1. What is uVRMS? -> micro Volts RMS - this is the output voltage of your cartridge 0.5mV = 500uV
2. What impact does uVRMS have on sound and cartridge? -> it determines the gain for the phono input, too high gain on the phono stage (i.e lower uVRMS value) will cause the ADC to clip (Bad!), too low and you'll lose signal to noise ratio (not so bad as you have 24bit dynamic range to play with, Hence start at around the stated output for the cartridge + a bit to ensure you don't clip (i.e. 550-600uV)
3. What differences can I expect when choosing a value between 0 - 5000uVRMS? -> (see above) ~0 = loud and distorted, 5000 = very quiet!

Cheers

Dave