Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Entreq grounding boxes
(26-Jun-2014, 21:44)james n Wrote: Hmm - interesting so far. Time to leave alone for a few days. Only fly in the ointment so far is the other half wondering why there is a wine box sat next to the Hi-Fi rack ... Angel

Which ground box and cables do you have?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Just the Silver Minimus and Copper and Konstantin cables.

James

(26-Jun-2014, 22:47)PhilP Wrote:
(26-Jun-2014, 21:44)james n Wrote: Hmm - interesting so far. Time to leave alone for a few days. Only fly in the ointment so far is the other half wondering why there is a wine box sat next to the Hi-Fi rack ... Angel

Tricky call - is it better for her to think you're drinking alone or doing something which many would consider weird with your hi-fi? Still it's difficult to have someone committed in the uk nowadays so you should be safe Undecided

Lol Big Grin

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
(27-Jun-2014, 18:41)james n Wrote: Just the Silver Minimus and Copper and Konstantin cables.

James

(26-Jun-2014, 22:47)PhilP Wrote:

Tricky call - is it better for her to think you're drinking alone or doing something which many would consider weird with your hi-fi? Still it's difficult to have someone committed in the uk nowadays so you should be safe Undecided

Lol Big Grin

How are you getting on?! I think we're all dying to hear...

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume - It's been a very interesting few days and I must admit that I was very sceptical about these boxes. Coming from a long time association with Naim electronics, my tweaking has really been down to careful equipment location, letting cables hang freely and keeping sources of EMI away from my kit - just good sound practice. I’ve avoided the more esoteric tweaks as this is where I find audio and conventional engineering principles tending to diverge - an electronic engineering background means pseudoscience isn’t for me, but I do like to keep an open mind and after reading the positive views on this thread it seemed worth a try. I always found with my Naim systems (especially when mixing Naim and non Naim components) that earth configurations played an important role - multiple signal earths or even taking one component out of a Hydra power configuration can kill the timing .

A couple of emails to Richard at Lotus Hi-Fi and a Silver Minimus with Copper and Konstantin cables were on their way to me…

So with the Minimus on the floor next to the rack and the entry level copper RCA to spade connected to a spare RCA socket on the Devialet it was time for a listen. First of all, it’s not a night and day change but rather something that creeps up over a few tracks and most noticeable when you disconnect the box. The overall presentation appears darker, not dull but more focussed and revealing of subtle detail - i’ve noticed interplays on familiar tracks that i’ve not noticed or been aware of before and the music gains a real sense of ease but also gains more foot tapping pace. It doesn’t seem to change the basic character of the system but does allow it to do it’s job

I’m not one for quick A/B demos (and you can’t really do this with the Entreq boxes) - I prefer to leave things alone for a few days and then go back to the original configuration. In this case, the change is not subtle, the system sounding somewhat louder but more forced, and the ease and flow has gone. It’s like a picture with the saturation turned up and sounds rather busy. The Minimus is reconnected and after a few minutes things are better again. Once I was used to the Minimus and Copper combination, i tried replacing the Copper cable with the Konstantin version - this is a more substantial cable and feels like it has two conductors under the cotton outer covering. Not a good move, brighter and more Hi-Fi / less music - it loses the lovely natural flow the Copper / Minimus combination brings and so after trying this a couple of times over the demo period, i’ve found a consistent preference for the Copper and left this in place and this is how i’ve been enjoying the system over the last few days.

To sum up - It’s a keeper and I really didn’t expect to be saying that !

[Image: 14346227490_fce0f054b5_b.jpg]

(29-Jun-2014, 16:47)james n Wrote: Hi Guillaume - It's been a very interesting few days and I must admit that I was very sceptical about these boxes. Coming from a long time association with Naim electronics, my tweaking has really been down to careful equipment location, letting cables hang freely and keeping sources of EMI away from my kit - just good sound practice. I’ve avoided the more esoteric tweaks as this is where I find audio and conventional engineering principles tending to diverge - an electronic engineering background means pseudoscience isn’t for me, but I do like to keep an open mind and after reading the positive views on this thread it seemed worth a try. I always found with my Naim systems (especially when mixing Naim and non Naim components) that earth configurations played an important role - multiple signal earths or even taking one component out of a Hydra power configuration can kill the timing .

A couple of emails to Richard at Lotus Hi-Fi and a Silver Minimus with Copper and Konstantin cables were on their way to me…

So with the Minimus on the floor next to the rack and the entry level copper RCA to spade connected to a spare RCA socket on the Devialet it was time for a listen. First of all, it’s not a night and day change but rather something that creeps up over a few tracks and most noticeable when you disconnect the box. The overall presentation appears darker, not dull but more focussed and revealing of subtle detail - i’ve noticed interplays on familiar tracks that i’ve not noticed or been aware of before and the music gains a real sense of ease but also gains more foot tapping pace. It doesn’t seem to change the basic character of the system but does allow it to do it’s job

I’m not one for quick A/B demos (and you can’t really do this with the Entreq boxes) - I prefer to leave things alone for a few days and then go back to the original configuration. In this case, the change is not subtle, the system sounding somewhat louder but more forced, and the ease and flow has gone. It’s like a picture with the saturation turned up and sounds rather busy. The Minimus is reconnected and after a few minutes things are better again. Once I was used to the Minimus and Copper combination, i tried replacing the Copper cable with the Konstantin version - this is a more substantial cable and feels like it has two conductors under the cotton outer covering. Not a good move, brighter and more Hi-Fi / less music - it loses the lovely natural flow the Copper / Minimus combination brings and so after trying this a couple of times over the demo period, i’ve found a consistent preference for the Copper and left this in place and this is how i’ve been enjoying the system over the last few days.

To sum up - It’s a keeper and I really didn’t expect to be saying that !

[Image: 14346227490_fce0f054b5_b.jpg]

Fantastic outcome James! I'm not familiar with the Konstantin eartha cable, having only tried Silver, Challenger and Apollo ground cables with my Devialets. What is amazing is how each cable is so different. It really is a case of experimenting to see which works best.

Guillaume

UK
I have to admit I found the Silver Minimus rather more difficult to perceive in it's improvements but it was fairly clear. It was the Tellus that blew me away (well not literally but you get my drift). I've ended up with a Silver Tellus - so much for economising! I initially borrowed Silver and Challenger ground cables. The Silver is a little harsher but perhaps more detailed. The Challenger softer but perhaps tames harshness better than the Silvers. Naturally I blew the budget and ended up with a couple of Apollos which seem to combine the best of both. I'm kicking myself but it really does seem to fix most of the 'problems' I've always felt I had with the power supply, and the lift in noise floor is really noticeable. I've never really noticed 'noise floor' that much before to be honest!
Thanks chaps. - I suspect the Minimus works well in this instance as it only has one box to deal with. I'm very pleased with it as it just enhances the things I like about the amp. If this is what the little box does then i think i'll avoid listening to the Tellus !

We're having some work done on the house over the next few weeks so I might see if I can get a separate spur for the Hi-Fi installed at the same time.

James

Smart move re not trying a Tellus!
Yep. I didn't expect to keep this so I'll avoid putting anymore temptation in my way :-)

(29-Jun-2014, 17:33)james n Wrote: Yep. I didn't expect to keep this so I'll avoid putting anymore temptation in my way :-)

Hope you enjoy the Minimus for a long time James.

Just for the fun of it, try to locate a silver (coated) patch/speaker cable (Van den Hul for example) and connect it between the Minimus and grounding post of Devialet. SCS 18 is a good example. Fairly cheap to try if you have a dealer close by that sells VdH by the roll...

Happy listenning...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey