Poll: What's your age?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
<=24
2.71%
12 2.71%
25-29
3.85%
17 3.85%
30-34
7.47%
33 7.47%
35-39
10.41%
46 10.41%
40-44
17.19%
76 17.19%
45-49
19.23%
85 19.23%
50-54
15.38%
68 15.38%
55-59
10.41%
46 10.41%
60-64
8.37%
37 8.37%
65+
4.98%
22 4.98%
Total 442 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What's your age?
Yey! Middle age is winning. (Followed by Krusty-Hair-droop).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
51 here. And working in the oil and gas industry.
NAS: LaCie Cloudbox
Streaming bridge: Auralic Aries
DAC/Amplifier: Devialet 200
Speakers: Magico S1
Digital cables: Audioquest Cinnamon
Loudspeaker cables: Vertere Pulse-X Mini
Hey Eric - You sound like me in two years time - that's assuming that the oil and gas industry lasts another two years. It's good to have another Engineer on here, to make a nice balance to the many IT wizzards.
I am 64. I retired at 60.
FWIW I started my career as a noise and vibration engineer and was an early user of computers in engineering, I wrote a programme to optimise racing car suspension geometry in 1971, which eventually led to a full time career in motor racing. 35 years in all. Before the motor racing I worked for Garrard on record players.
Astonishingly my hearing was not destroyed. It is better than average for my age, it must be genetic. My grandmother still had acute hearing at 100 years old. My wife who is a musician is going deaf.
Not fair really.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(23-Jan-2015, 18:14)f1eng Wrote: I am 64. I retired at 60.
FWIW I started my career as a noise and vibration engineer and was an early user of computers in engineering, I wrote a programme to optimise racing car suspension geometry in 1971, which eventually led to a full time career in motor racing. 35 years in all. Before the motor racing I worked for Garrard on record players.
Astonishingly my hearing was not destroyed. It is better than average for my age, it must be genetic. My grandmother still had acute hearing at 100 years old. My wife who is a musician is going deaf.
Not fair really.

In my very early DJ'ing days we had an old Citronic "Disco Console", which featured slightly bouncy Garrad turntables.  (which ended up being crudely modified, with the auto functions removed, lead weights to allow Ortofon Pro cartridges to be used etc.) As I recall, they actually sounded pretty good by the standards of the day. - Perhaps some of your early work Frank?
(23-Jan-2015, 18:55)Confused Wrote:
(23-Jan-2015, 18:14)f1eng Wrote: I am 64. I retired at 60.
Not fair really.

In my very early DJ'ing days we had an old Citronic "Disco Console", which featured slightly bouncy Garrad turntables.  (which ended up being crudely modified, with the auto functions removed, lead weights to allow Ortofon Pro cartridges to be used etc.)  As I recall, they actually sounded pretty good by the standards of the day.  - Perhaps some of your early work Frank?

No I worked in R&D looking into how external and internal vibration influenced the output from the pickup cartridge. We evaluated quite a lot of competing products too.
In 1976 Garrard had an engineer working on laser vibration measurement to look at the influence of this vibration and how design mods could influence it. Intriguingly some of the most effective details cost almost nothing to implement, cutting a slot in a critical place to change mode shapes and this sort of thing. Getting the plinth design such that the arm was mounted at a structural node for example. It is surprising how much structural vibration and environmental vibration showed up on the cartridge output. Our view was that measuring vibration was less important since putting accelerometers on the headshell, say, changes its dynamics so gives wrong data and in any case if the headshell is buzzing away in a fashion that does not alter the cartridge output it does not matter look somewhere else.
With good engineering these solutions could have been implemented inexpensively in mass production.
Garrard had a new young MD who wanted to change the way the company worked, by the time he had embelished his CV and moved on the company had been fatally wounded and was sold without any of the results of this work finding its way onto product. Shame.
Nowadays the market for record decks is far too small for mass production and most of the enthusiasts seem to only want expensive solutions!
I am not aware of any manufacturers today using the sophisticated engineering modelling which is available for this sort of design.
Most, if not all, seem to rely on beautiful craftsmanship and finish rather than sophisticated engineering. IMHO
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Jan-2015, 14:21)f1eng Wrote: Nowadays the market for record decks is far too small for mass production and most of the enthusiasts seem to only want expensive solutions!
I am not aware of any manufacturers today using the sophisticated engineering modelling which is available for this sort of design.
Most, if not all, seem to rely on beautiful craftsmanship and finish rather than sophisticated engineering. IMHO

I did read recently that the sales for Pro-Ject turntables alone equates to about 25% of the global annual sales of LP's on vinyl.  In hard figures, 10,000 turntables per month.  This surprised me, especially considering that most hi fi amps these days, at any price point, tend to ignore any requirement for a phono input.
(24-Jan-2015, 15:57)Confused Wrote:
(24-Jan-2015, 14:21)f1eng Wrote: Nowadays the market for record decks is far too small for mass production and most of the enthusiasts seem to only want expensive solutions!

I did read recently that the sales for Pro-Ject turntables alone equates to about 25% of the global annual sales of LP's on vinyl.  In hard figures, 10,000 turntables per month.  This surprised me, especially considering that most hi fi amps these days, at any price point, tend to ignore any requirement for a phono input.
Wow 10k units a month is massive production for a TT. Seems scarcely credible. I believe they only made around 100 of the turntables I use during its whole production life.
Oxfordshire

Indeed, I was very surprised by the 10,000 figure. I believe that this is an average selling price of about £300, so a little cheaper than a Goldmund! Must be lots of folk finding a box of vinyl in their parents attic and buying a TT out of curiosity, I suspect. My Pro-Ject Signature 12 is serial number 000151, so it looks like sales drop off a cliff as the price goes up.
So I must be a strange person in here......i 'm only 22.....